Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-26-2010, 08:28 PM   #106
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by m8o Quote
Ok, Ok... I resemble that remark. Upon further reflection, I'll give you that in regards to my 1st foray in this thread. So I got another one for you that cannot be denied...

Army of Darkness (1992)

And a big-arse thumbs-up to Serenity. I vaguely recall the summer when Firefly was playing but not flying. I missed out that 1st time around.
Oh man! Army of Darkness!!! We have a dollar theatre here that plays classic movies at midnight every week... this was one of them. Love that movie.

THIS. IS. MY. BOOOOM STICK!!!!

06-26-2010, 08:46 PM   #107
m8o
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
glad to hear capt'n & kalison... what about another of mine I just remembered? (dunno if this has been mentioned yet, but it certainly wasn't critically acclaimed )

Big Trouble in Little China (1986)

We had a guy's night out last night and I brought this movie up, and was amazed noone knew it.
06-26-2010, 09:54 PM   #108
m8o
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kalison Quote
Oh man! Army of Darkness!!! We have a dollar theatre here that plays classic movies at midnight every week... this was one of them. Love that movie.

THIS. IS. MY. BOOOOM STICK!!!!
"Ooh, that's gotta hurt!"

...lol Army of Darkness is on this very moment on channel "HBO Comedy"

Last edited by m8o; 06-26-2010 at 10:01 PM.
06-26-2010, 10:21 PM   #109
Inactive Account

Brazil
Quite old (1985) but still my all-times favorite
You should'nt die without having seen it.

06-26-2010, 10:26 PM   #110
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by 16N64 Quote
Brazil
Quite old (1985) but still my all-times favorite
You should'nt die without having seen it.
Yeah, that is an interesting one. I'm looking forward to seeing Terry Gilliam's latest movie 'The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus'.
06-27-2010, 03:41 AM   #111
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Here's one for you from 1980, The Long Good Friday, early roles for both Bob Hoskins and Helen Mirren.

The Long Good Friday (1980)

06-27-2010, 09:18 AM   #112
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Another good early Bob Hoskins role was in Mona Lisa.

Chris

06-27-2010, 05:13 PM   #113
Inactive Account

Another vote for:
Vanishing Point (Clevon Little was fantastic)
Billy Jack (with one of my favorite songs "One Tin Soldier")
The Omega Man (much better than Will Smith's remake "I Am Legend")

Although Richard Harris was nominated for an Academy Award as Bull McCabe, I think "The Field" is one of the most overlooked and underrated movies in many years. Yes, the technical work could have been better but overall a very dark yet great movie.

CW
06-27-2010, 06:27 PM   #114
Veteran Member

Something reminds me of 'Stormy Monday' from way back.

And The Long Kiss Goodnight, and particularly in the 'getting no respect category, 'Cutthroat Island' which is inexlicably charming and also has Geena Davis being truly awesome.
06-27-2010, 07:14 PM   #115

Photos: Albums
Dune

I'ts a recent film, and I was relatively young at the time the movie came out. I actually saw it on video (rental) in the day. A Classic Sci-Fi and a great movie in my opinion. But few people I know have seen it.

The universer is deep, the scope of the movie was big and it even had Sting as the bad guy (all lubed up! Talk about gay icon!)

The movie eventually came to inspire the very first successful RTs game, that has become a very big market in videogaming.

Probably my favorite under the common moviegoer radar, folowed closely by Dark city, that I also have seen many times. I loosely recall it coming out at about the same time as the matrix, that kind of squashed all sci-fies coming out that year....
06-27-2010, 09:36 PM   #116
Veteran Member

1. Cat People from 1982, the Paul Schrader version, with Nastassja Kinski and Malcolm McDowell. I've seen the original Val Lewton 1942 version too and do I like that as well, but I thought the remake had a great cast, was very well shot, and the OST was just excellent. I still listen to the score all the time and I go back to watch it at least a couple of times a year. Highly underrated in my book, this film.

2. The Hunger with David Bowie and Catherine Deneuve. Ditto, amazing score, good cast, interesting film.

3. Fright Night II While I don't think this one was quite as good as the original I still watch it from time to time because I do find it enjoyable as a followup to the first film.

Speaking of, I love the first film so much I was actually against the remake at first until I read who was going to be in it. Anton Yelchin will probably make a pretty good Charley Brewster. Colin Farrell will probably be a decent Jerry Dandridge, though he'd not be my first pick, but the casting of David Tennant as Peter Vincent and Christopher Minzt-Plasse as Evil Ed? That's just bloody brilliant and it's completely won me over in terms of getting me to watch this remake.

I still don't think it will hold a candle to the original, but David Tennant following in Roddy MacDowall's footsteps? That works, mostly. Personally I was hoping for Robert Englund, but if we can't have him, then Tennant will do! He will be great! The only weak link so far for me is Farrell and I'm still half hoping he drops out and we get someone better. Chris Sarandon will be a tough act to follow, and that role is the key to the whole film, IMHO.

Whether the remake works or not will definitely hinge on the right person playing the vampire and on the right person playing Vincent. Charley actually could be played by any number of guys, so could his mother, girlfriend, but those two, they're not replaced so easily. (Nor is Stephen Geoffreys who played the original Evil Ed.) Tennant, yes, but Farrell?

I just don't know.

Last edited by magkelly; 06-27-2010 at 09:43 PM.
06-28-2010, 07:59 AM   #117
Veteran Member

Frequency I know that it's a little slow for people but I thought it was really good.

Titan A.E. Cartoon movie I saw as a teenager but I thought that the story and artwork were actually really good.
07-03-2010, 07:50 AM   #118
Veteran Member

Forbidden Planet most of you may be to young to remember that one. The Fifth Element is still used to test new sound and video systems, the movie is still one of the best HD recordings ever make.
07-03-2010, 09:11 AM   #119
m8o
Veteran Member

But I always thought Forbidden Planet to be a classic and heralded as one of the best SciFi films ever, let alone of its day? Just always thought it's quite respected but maybe I'm wrong.
07-03-2010, 11:11 AM   #120
m8o
Veteran Member

I meant to post this weeks back, but the name failed to come to me. It's on now so there's the slap in the head I needed.

Romeo Must Die

Primarily because it features my baby, a MB C43 AMG being beat on in a " 'high' [ahem, low really] speed chase". (I turned mine into a C55 ) Only a 5.8/10 on IMDB, which is pretty pathetic.