Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-07-2010, 10:41 PM   #1
Veteran Member
jsherman999's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2007
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 8,240
What movie(s) do you really like that get no respect?

.


Are there any movies that don't really get a lot of attention, or get negative attention, that are actually very good films in your opinion?

I'm sitting here watching The Ninth Gate for about the fourth time, and am struck by how great it is. It's kinda slow-moving, very European, but subtly elegant, and thrilling in a ponderous and wordy way. I love it.



.

05-08-2010, 08:46 AM   #2
Veteran Member
Ratmagiclady's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: GA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 13,562
Hrm. I can think of a lot of sci-fi offhand. Sci-fi fans tend to slag on things that they supposedly are fans of, so I think a lot of things in that genre get disrespected unduly, especially for what they are.

The Star Wars prequels come to mind. I think they got off to a bad start in a way: maybe after so long a wait, it seemed way too 'children's movie' at the time, but as a trilogy it works out reasonably OK.

There's probably a lot of movies I like that people harsh on, ...me, if I see a movie in the theater, especially, I'm not setting out to have a bad time. Sometimes people don't enjoy 'cheesy,' too.

I liked 'The Fifth Element,' too.


I liked the Di Caprio Romeo and Juliet, (Wish they'd gone ahead and made it longer, though. It seemed rushed in parts) and I like the 'National Treasure' movies and 'Da Vinci Code'. Usually with movies, especially in the theater, I like them very diverting, and too often that just means people shooting each other a lot for kind of tired reasons. I like the idea that at least the plot's about something interesting.

Artsier or more literary movies, well, I may be more critical of, myself, also less aware of any disrespect that may be out there.
05-08-2010, 04:57 PM   #3
Inactive Account




Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Melbourne
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 3,547
QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
I liked 'The Fifth Element,' too
That movie kicked ass

I was subjected to watching 'Predator', with Arnie, when I was quite young and have since had a thing for it. Then again, I could almost say the same thing about 'Terminator' & 'Aliens'.
05-08-2010, 05:02 PM   #4
Ira
Inactive Account




Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Coral Springs, FL
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 5,216
Whatever you do, stay away from Iron Man II:

I just saw it today, and never saw such a piece of crap in my LIFE.

It was HORRIBLE. An EMBARRASSMENT.

And I felt they knew they were ripping me off but they didn't have a choice, because money is money.

LOUSY!!!!!!!!

05-08-2010, 05:06 PM   #5
Inactive Account




Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Melbourne
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 3,547
Of course they knew. What in the hell possessed you to go and see it?
05-08-2010, 05:26 PM   #6
Veteran Member




Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Minnesota
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,529
Even though the book is better i also love the movie: The Princess Bride.

Also on the list:

Boondock Saints - Plot holes a plenty but if that is what is bothering you when you watch this movie then YOU ARE DOING IT WRONG!

My Date With Drew - A little known documentary that I just thought was a great up lifting story.

Planet B-boy - If you don't know about b-boy culture then you have never heard of this documentary. If you do... then you know the awesomeness within

Love Acutally - I just like this movie. That's it.

Bring it On - Yeah, yeah i know. I really don't care how you judge me for it. This movie is just fun.

I'm sure I'll think of others later.
05-08-2010, 05:40 PM   #7
Senior Member
Perrumpo's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2010
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 207
Hmm, two Bill Murray films come to mind. Lost in Translation and Broken Flowers. The former is a particular favorite of mine... of all time.
05-08-2010, 08:56 PM   #8
Site Supporter
shooz's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Detroit
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,491
Two from me?
There's more but how about.

Penn and Teller get killed. Hard to find, but a gem.

Shakes the Clown. So off the wall....So good!

Added bonus........Easy Money.......Rodney Dangerfield and
Joe Peshi......Poignant......Topical......Just plain funny.........

05-08-2010, 09:18 PM   #9
Veteran Member
jsherman999's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2007
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 8,240
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Perrumpo Quote
Hmm, two Bill Murray films come to mind. Lost in Translation and Broken Flowers. The former is a particular favorite of mine... of all time.
Both of those are good - I guess they don't get much mainstream attention, but I think they both got very good reviews.


QuoteOriginally posted by shooz Quote
Two from me?
There's more but how about.

Penn and Teller get killed. Hard to find, but a gem.

Shakes the Clown. So off the wall....So good!

Added bonus........Easy Money.......Rodney Dangerfield and
Joe Peshi......Poignant......Topical......Just plain funny.........
Maybe Pen & Teller get killed. I hated Easy Money!


QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
I liked 'The Fifth Element,' too.

RML! I love The Fifth Element!! Another one I can watch again and again. Not just for Gary Oldman's excellent evil dude, not just for Milla Jovovich.... Bruce Willis is actually very good. And for some reason, I really liked that space-opera scene, of all things.


QuoteOriginally posted by fractal Quote

I was subjected to watching 'Predator', with Arnie, when I was quite young and have since had a thing for it. Then again, I could almost say the same thing about 'Terminator' & 'Aliens'.
Yep, yep & yep. Alien (orig) is the best Sci-fi flick of all time, IMO. Really.

QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
Whatever you do, stay away from Iron Man II:

I just saw it today, and never saw such a piece of crap in my LIFE.

It was HORRIBLE. An EMBARRASSMENT.

And I felt they knew they were ripping me off but they didn't have a choice, because money is money.

LOUSY!!!!!!!!
Darn it. I'll bet the third is better, though.

.
05-08-2010, 09:20 PM   #10
Veteran Member
jsherman999's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2007
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 8,240
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MrApollinax Quote
Even though the book is better i also love the movie: The Princess Bride.

Also on the list:

Boondock Saints - Plot holes a plenty but if that is what is bothering you when you watch this movie then YOU ARE DOING IT WRONG!

My Date With Drew - A little known documentary that I just thought was a great up lifting story.

Planet B-boy - If you don't know about b-boy culture then you have never heard of this documentary. If you do... then you know the awesomeness within

Love Acutally - I just like this movie. That's it.

Bring it On - Yeah, yeah i know. I really don't care how you judge me for it. This movie is just fun.

I'm sure I'll think of others later.
Love Actually?!




05-08-2010, 09:33 PM   #11
Junior Member




Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Illinois
Posts: 26
I actually find myself hating on movies that get too much respect more often.
05-08-2010, 09:45 PM   #12
Veteran Member




Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Minnesota
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,529
QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
Love Actually?!




Yes. I'm finding it one of my favorite Christmas movies now.
05-08-2010, 10:19 PM   #13
Inactive Account




Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Brisbane, QLD, AUS
Posts: 3,262
Death To Smoochy. And I thought Americans couldn't do black humour. Well, there was Heller, I suppose.
05-08-2010, 10:21 PM   #14
Veteran Member
rustynail925's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Philippines
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,551
QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
.
I'm sitting here watching The Ninth Gate for about the fourth time, and am struck by how great it is. It's kinda slow-moving, very European, but subtly elegant, and thrilling in a ponderous and wordy way. I love it.



.
Love that film. I think one of Polanski's best even better than Rosemary's Baby w/c is regarded by some as one of the best horror movies of all time..
Dont really know if this movie got no respect but it does from me..

Last edited by rustynail925; 05-09-2010 at 01:42 AM.
05-08-2010, 10:36 PM   #15
Inactive Account




Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Michigan, USA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 7,484
QuoteOriginally posted by shooz Quote
Added bonus........Easy Money.......Rodney Dangerfield and
Joe Peshi......Poignant......Topical......Just plain funny.........
The king of 'No Respect'... That's actually one my favorite movies of his of all time.. "Come On F'ing Four!!"

I generally look for the movies the critics hate. They are always wrong IMO. I liked The Ninth Gate also.

Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
attention, movies
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
K7 Movie Issue chilihead Pentax DSLR Discussion 9 10-20-2009 01:19 PM
Why doesn't Pentax get respect? bluebronco Photographic Industry and Professionals 49 10-11-2009 06:42 PM
Bird photographers really have my respect. jbrowning Post Your Photos! 10 09-19-2008 10:22 AM
Do I lose your respect when I sell the 31mm 1.8?? TKH Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 59 03-11-2008 12:13 PM
Will I lose your respect.... Eaglerapids Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 13 03-10-2008 02:18 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:19 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top