Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-11-2010, 06:50 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by flyer Quote
You shouldn't worry about not speaking French in Montréal. Most people understand enough English to make your life easy. And there are some areas of Montréal that are predominently English speaking (West Island area). And the criterias for a visa are more or less the same Canada wide. You should definitely put Montréal on your list.
My experience as well. Montréal quickly became a candidate for my favorite city in North America. I did get props for trying my French (less mocking of my mistakes than in France) but just about everyone spoke English. Great city with a terrific spirit and culture!

However, Vancouver was very nice as well, and I haven't even been to Toronto....

05-12-2010, 05:37 AM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I lived in Montreal for a year on a working visa back in 2001 and loved it. But then again my wife is from there ;-)
Seriously, there are some opportunities for creative software development in Montreal. I'm not sure which field you are in? As mentioned earlier, the West Island and areas of the Plateau are pretty Anglophone. My challenge in trying to learn french continues to be that you can get by in english easily so "cheat" and do so. To the chagrin of my wife, a french language teacher .

I currently live in Mississauga, one of the big (~750K) burbs of Toronto. I quite enjoy it as a safe place, but it is pricey to live in. The whole experience is *very* multicultural (the nickname is "Mississaugastan") with many first gen/second gen families. People are here to get away from a lot of the other crap happening in other parts of the world and are here to work. Competition for jobs can often be intense and the skill base is pretty high.
I'm a kiwi and would comment that apart from one other forum member (Alfisti) there is not so much of a Antipodean connection this side of the continent. There are many Aussies and Kiwis living in BC.

In terms of tech employers it is still quite quiet (job marketwise) here with the exception of Blackberry, based in Waterloo (who are hiring at present). That being said, there are ~3Million folks in the GTA, so there is a fair bit going on (and it is starting to heat up again). The house prices here are ridiculous (although not generally as insane as those of Vancouver). The prices didn't get hit to the same extent of the states.

Workopolis.ca and monster.ca are probably the key job websites.

Montreal is generally a lot more compact than Toronto, and unless you are right downtown in TO, the public transit system is miles behind the metro of Montreal (which rocks). You will end up driving in TO. Getting out of the city is easier in Montreal, due to the fact that everyone drives in TO (and that the GTA is just so ridiculously big). However, Montreal drivers have a deserved reputation for being a little crazy, and there is always the chance that a road will fall on your head....I just let my wife drive there and offer no comment from the passengers seat.

Good luck and let me know if you need any info.

Last edited by Clarkey; 05-12-2010 at 05:43 AM. Reason: Add Mississauga comments
05-12-2010, 05:48 AM   #18
Veteran Member

As far as I know, Montréal drivers are not worst than Toronto drivers. And I've also heard of "roads falling on your head" in other countries.

And, having spent quite a bit of time in Toronto, I can honestly say Montréal is more convivial.

One more point for Montréal: night life. In Toronto (and just about everywhere else in Canada), night life stops at midnight. In Montréal (and the rest of Québec), night life starts at midnight.
05-12-2010, 06:08 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

As far as I know, Montréal drivers are not worst than Toronto drivers. And I've also heard of "roads falling on your head" in other countries.

And, having spent quite a bit of time in Toronto, I can honestly say Montréal is more convivial.

One more point for Montréal: night life. In Toronto (and just about everywhere else in Canada), night life stops at midnight. In Montréal (and the rest of Québec), night life starts at midnight.
I wondered if I'd get a bite.
And true for the other two points mentioned (in my experience). However I now have an 18 month old, and he slows me from going to clubs....

Did I say I had enjoyed my time in Montreal? The food and clubs were certainly good fun, and every time I visit (we have family in Montreal) I eat entirely too much good food....
Go the Habs tonight!

05-12-2010, 06:22 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Yves, that was one of the big things that put Montréal on my short list for favorite cities. I remember the first time I was there, I arrived at the hotel at 10:00 pm in early June. I unpacked and decided to look for a place to grab a bite before turning in because I had missed supper in transit. I walked down to the old town some time after 11 (and felt safe doing so), and I found the entire city was out on the street almost shoulder to shoulder, and every locale was hopping. I did not get to bed early after all.
05-12-2010, 07:13 AM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Clarkey Quote
Did I say I had enjoyed my time in Montreal? The food and clubs were certainly good fun, and every time I visit (we have family in Montreal) I eat entirely too much good food....
Go the Habs tonight!

I have relatives in Toronto, London (Ont.), Saskatchewan, Alberta and British Columbia, and nowhere will you find the conviviality you find in Montréal. I'm not saying that people outside Québec aren't friendly. They are actually very friendly. It's just a different mindset. Québec's latin origins makes it unique in North America.
05-12-2010, 08:09 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
Halifax is a lovely place -- not too big, not too small. Nova Scotia ranks way up there for natural beauty. Not too sure about the software scene however!
Ye Gods, but Halifax looks like a dream city for me. I've almost been afraid to look, for fear of either falling in love with such a place or being sorely-disappointed.

Reasonably-tolerant place, is it?

My sweetie's more for the snows, but for me, a seaport, that local strain of Celtic music, a landscape that looks like home.. I could deal. Still have that serious maritime strain in my soul. Kind of calls on a lot of levels.

There's still a possibility we may follow a job across the border... I sure wouldn't mind getting us out of the line of fire of this American 'culture war' craziness. I've already asked my sweetie to keep an eye out for anything in Nova Scotia. Bears looking into, certainly.

Montreal has come up on occasion: they do actually have their own immigration scheme. I don't think I'd have much trouble picking up French: it doesn't seem too tough a language to triangulate on.

05-12-2010, 08:39 AM   #23
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Canada is a wonderful place. I live in NY, not too far from the border. Going as a tourist and living there are 2 different things but one thing I do notice is that folks from north of the border don't seem to bitch and whine as much as they do on this side, so that says a lot. I can't add much to what has already been said other than bring a coat.
05-12-2010, 08:40 AM   #24
Veteran Member

I just threw some pics into the shots across Canada thread, some from Nova Scotia and a few from here in British Columbia. There are quite a few good shots from folks in the thread which show various areas in Canada.....

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/mini-challenges-games-photo-stories/66185...ml#post1040243
05-12-2010, 11:12 AM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
Reasonably-tolerant place, is it?
I could not say, not having actually lived in Halifax since I was a kid. But all of urban Canada tends to be tolerant.

Actually the least tolerant province I have visited in Canada is Quebec, which I why I am trying hard to stay silent on the whole Montreal love-in. But those were the glory days of separatism; maybe things have changed. I will say that Montreal had the best music I have encountered in Canada.

Best not to confuse Montreal with the "rest of Quebec" as they are different fish in different kettles.

By the way, Ottawa is another great place, but, like Quebec, you have to love the winter.
05-12-2010, 11:15 AM   #26
Veteran Member

if you move to Toronto, be prepared to feel like a minority

also its like +10 and raining at the moment, feels like September.

As for the job market.. i have friends who are techies, some have amazing jobs, some cant make rent, depends on where you land and how good your code is.
05-12-2010, 04:52 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Clarkey - thanks for all the info! those jobs sites will come in handy

so much Montreal love here, might have to check it out after all!
05-12-2010, 05:24 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Best not to confuse Montreal with the "rest of Quebec" as they are different fish in different kettles.
Agreed. All that nice stuff about tolerating broken French and gladly helping the English-speaker....not quite so much as you move farther northeast.
05-13-2010, 04:30 PM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Snip...

By the way, Ottawa is another great place, but, like Quebec, you have to love the winter.
That's fair Robin. I'd say however that the modern Quebec has to look a lot more outside the province both economically and culturally, and as an outsider I'd say things are fairly balanced at present. I could talk politics, but I'd rather not. Lets say Quebec is unique in North America and offers perspectives and experiences that reflect that.

Ottawa has a lot to offer and our family is considering relocation there long term. It has a pretty much everything you need in the city and the Gatineau is right next door. It has just been voted the best place in Canada to live.
However, as you say, you have to be prepared for the winter (as you do in Montreal, shovelling snow in -42°C will stick with me for a long time).
05-14-2010, 09:26 AM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Clarkey Quote
shovelling snow in -42°C will stick with me for a long time).

That happens once every 20 years. Generally, it is not that cold in winter.
Closed Thread