Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
05-10-2010, 05:55 PM - 1 Like   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Who else loves wine?

I'm a wine-lover. I love everything from California Pinot Noir to Bordeaux to Alsatian and German Riesling.

Anyone else love wine? Which ones?

05-10-2010, 05:59 PM   #2
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Oh yeay.

Gewirtz and Reislings are my favorite whites. Sis in law is from Alsace so we don't have a choice on those. We love Washington Reislings.

We have some good local Virginia wines that are getting pretty good. The Barboursville and Horton cab Francs are a couple of my favorites.
05-10-2010, 07:02 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

I like dry reds.
At the moment, my favourite is a Carmenere from Cassillera del Diablo (the spelling may be correct) in Chile, and a quite nice Shiraz-Pinotage blend from Sebeka in South Africa.
I drink a lot of wine.
05-10-2010, 07:27 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
My wine-broker friend just offloaded four cases of wine to me yesterday. Nice!

05-10-2010, 07:51 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Nothing like a good old cabernet with a thick steak , a TBA with pasteries or a cold cheap chianti with a pizza!
05-10-2010, 08:14 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by seacapt Quote
Nothing like a good old cabernet with a thick steak , a TBA with pasteries or a cold cheap chianti with a pizza!
Good German TBA is quite a splurge, but one of life's great treats.

A steak without a cab is like leaving off the salt. I'm going more for Washington cabs these days than Napa. The price on culty Napa cab is creeping past its quality.
05-10-2010, 08:18 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I enjoy a good wine. Recently I've been drinking some Malbecs from Argentina. It's a very nice red wine.

05-10-2010, 08:20 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
I like dry reds.
At the moment, my favourite is a Carmenere from Cassillera del Diablo (the spelling may be correct) in Chile, and a quite nice Shiraz-Pinotage blend from Sebeka in South Africa.
I drink a lot of wine.
Hey, back when I invited you to share a glass, you said you were a beer guy. I guess I know where I stand.

Chile has some great bargains. Carmenere has been a mainstay for years, but now they're doing it all. They are now producing excellent Cabs, Merlots and Sauvignon blanc. Almaviva is a world class wine.
05-10-2010, 08:27 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by VaughnA Quote
Oh yeay.

Gewirtz and Reislings are my favorite whites. Sis in law is from Alsace so we don't have a choice on those. We love Washington Reislings.

We have some good local Virginia wines that are getting pretty good. The Barboursville and Horton cab Francs are a couple of my favorites.
Alsace is a special interest of mine. I've gone there about a dozen times, and always discover something more that I like. Only recently, I found out one branch of my family came from there, too. Alsatian whites are some of the best in the world, and not yet discovered by the wine mainstream. Zind-Humbrecht is a favorite, as are Leon Beyer, Albert Mann, Albert Boxler, Ostertag and Charles Baur.

In the same vein, Austrian wine is an even more undiscovered country for white wine lovers. Grüner Veltliner is a treasure, and the first wine that woke me up to wine 35 years ago.
05-10-2010, 08:28 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dragonfly Quote
My wine-broker friend just offloaded four cases of wine to me yesterday. Nice!
What wines were in the case?
05-10-2010, 08:38 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by xs400 Quote
I enjoy a good wine. Recently I've been drinking some Malbecs from Argentina. It's a very nice red wine.
The Malbecs from Argentina are another great bargain. Have you tried Catenas? They are superb wines. Some of the Malbec blends, such as Poesia are a real treat.

Have you tried any Torrontes? It is a really interesting white grape from Argentina.
05-11-2010, 06:54 AM   #12
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

When I saw this thread I got excited. Something I really know something about.
Then I realized you said "Who loves wine?" and not "Who loves to whine?" Bummer.
05-11-2010, 06:58 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
Hey, back when I invited you to share a glass, you said you were a beer guy. I guess I know where I stand.
That must have been during the summer. I tend to switch over to beer at that time.
I'd share a glass with you any day.
05-11-2010, 07:21 AM   #14
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
Alsace is a special interest of mine. I've gone there about a dozen times, and always discover something more that I like. Only recently, I found out one branch of my family came from there, too. Alsatian whites are some of the best in the world, and not yet discovered by the wine mainstream. Zind-Humbrecht is a favorite, as are Leon Beyer, Albert Mann, Albert Boxler, Ostertag and Charles Baur.

In the same vein, Austrian wine is an even more undiscovered country for white wine lovers. Grüner Veltliner is a treasure, and the first wine that woke me up to wine 35 years ago.
We've recently found that our family has a branch from Alsace as well. My brother was married in Illhausern, we had the reception at Auberge d'Ill. The owners are old friends of her family and did it up right. We had the whole restaurant for the reception. It was a once in a lifetime experience having dinner at my brothers wedding at a 3 star restaurant.

We don't have much selection of Alsatian wines around here. Just the normal Trembachs. I'll try to look for those next time we hit civilization.
05-11-2010, 08:15 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by VaughnA Quote
We've recently found that our family has a branch from Alsace as well. My brother was married in Illhausern, we had the reception at Auberge d'Ill. The owners are old friends of her family and did it up right. We had the whole restaurant for the reception. It was a once in a lifetime experience having dinner at my brothers wedding at a 3 star restaurant.

We don't have much selection of Alsatian wines around here. Just the normal Trembachs. I'll try to look for those next time we hit civilization.
Does your state allow internet wine sales? It is a sure way to broaden your palate.

I had been attracted to and coming to this one village in Alsace, Eguisheim near Colmar, for years. It has been discovered by tourists now, but it had been unchanged for 500 years. It also has a terrific restaurant and multiple wineries, despite only 1,500 inhabitants. When I was last there in 2006, I told someone in the hotel that I had just found out my a branch of my family was from Alsace. He asked the name; I told him, and he said, oh, they came from a village nearby. It turns out I had been attracted back to my ancestry without knowing it.