Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-12-2010, 07:07 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by graphicgr8s Quote
Well you must be jumping for joy Jeff.
Beats being branded in the head......actually that would work better (chip implant) and leave less to chance... IE scan a burning building for "tags" to see if it's worth risking firefighters lives... Scan who's in the car at a police stop to decrease their chance of getting blown away..... see it can help... scan earthquake rubble to see where to concentrate on digging........ hmmmmmm

05-12-2010, 07:09 AM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Your Grocery Store probably knows more about you than the Govt if you use one of those little "Loyalty Cards". We have already lost our privacy, but don't want to admit it.
Are you sure you apply logics in your argument?

It sounds like an argument where it doesn't matter to loose 1000 dollars after you already have lost 100 dollars due to whatever, say theft. If this is so, can you then please transfer your money to me?
05-12-2010, 07:25 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The chip is scary, but Big Brother is coming anyway unless people demand that it stop. You can be tracked by your cell phone, your car and your computer. Biometrics and video cameras on every corner will make the chip almost superfluous.
05-12-2010, 07:40 AM   #19
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
Not always.

And if you are really concerned, you can still put them into a Faraday metallized protective plastic sleeve. Maybe, I should immediately start to produce such sleeves and file for US patent?
Or you can keep it under one of these.
Seriously, it is unnerving, but Gene is right. There is only one way to stop it. It has to be
stopped at the voting booth. DON'T VOTE FOR INCUMBENTS! Vote whatever party you want, Democrat, Republican, Libertarian, whatever. It doesn't matter. Just don't vote for an incumbent for the next three elections. We can start over with a brand new House and Senate.

Last edited by Parallax; 05-12-2010 at 07:45 AM.
05-12-2010, 08:15 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
'Big Brother' *starts* by convincing you to be afraid of others.

Then offering to 'protect' you from those 'evil enemies.'
05-12-2010, 08:19 AM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
There is only one way to stop it. It has to be
stopped at the voting booth.
The US is a bit nascent in this regard.

There is a party, e.g. Pirate Party for their 17 days old US subsidiary homepage, which now is the fastest growing party in Germany.

Piratenpartei Deutschland | Klarmachen zum Ändern!

They now even have a seat in the European parliament (by Pirate Party of Sweden).

To defend privacy (and liberal rights in general) is one of their main concerns.

So, yes. Resistance is underway. In Europe at least.
05-12-2010, 08:34 AM   #22
Veteran Member

There is a party, e.g. Pirate Party for their 17 days old US subsidiary homepage, which now is the fastest growing party in Germany.

They now even have a seat in the European parliament (by Pirate Party of Sweden).

To defend privacy (and liberal rights in general) is one of their main concerns.

The German site is interesting. When I read the goals of the Pirate Party, I find an undercurrent that has a lot in common with the Tea Party people here who are taking to the street. Now, the Tea Party has steered or been steered to the right, but many of the underlying fears and uncertainties about government control and the emphasis on the Constitution are similar.

05-12-2010, 08:35 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Actually, I think that this whole Tea Party thing in America may just end up going somewhere eventually-productive: I see some signs that these people actually talking to each other may actually mean some of them stop being tools for Faux News and the GOP.

In Maine, they ended up radicalizing the GOP platform to the point of absurdity, one group or another, but even as the radicals get more radical, it may mean that lots of conservative people stop taking the 'Same thing said more politiely' version of events from the media and GOP. The effects of a short attention span mean they still want to blame Obama for what's been going on since Reagan's campaign, but maybe they'll wake up some of the herd. One way or another.
05-12-2010, 08:37 AM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
Actually, I think that this whole Tea Party thing in America may just end up going somewhere eventually-productive: I see some signs that these people actually talking to each other may actually mean some of them stop being tools for Faux News and the GOP.
Funny, how you and I were thinking something similar. Do you read German?
05-12-2010, 08:37 AM   #25
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Falk, it is my understanding that in Great Brittan Conservative and Liberal are the opposite political philosophy of what they are here. i.e. I would be a Liberal in England. (Geez it hurt to type that!) Is that the case throughout Europe? I admit to being at a disadvantage here as most Europeans and Canadians seem to know more about U.S. politics than I know about theirs.
05-12-2010, 08:41 AM   #26
Veteran Member

Falk, it is my understanding that in Great Brittan Conservative and Liberal are the opposite political philosophy of what they are here. i.e. I would be a Liberal in England. (Geez it hurt to type that!) Is that the case throughout Europe? I admit to being at a disadvantage here as most Europeans and Canadians seem to know more about U.S. politics than I know about theirs.
I'll let Falk answer for himself, but my experience living in Europe was that it is not that simple. Each party has its own set of issues where it may be to the "left" or "right" of the other party. Whenever one gets out of the two-party mindset, these directional differences are much more complicated.
05-12-2010, 09:00 AM   #27
Veteran Member

Parallax:

In the UK the Conservative Party, or Tories, roughly equates to the Republicans here in the US. The Labour Party roughly equates to today's Democratic Party while the Social Democratic Party, (SDP), would probably more closely associate itself with the Democrats of the Kennedy era, (more centrally leaning than left). In reality the SDP seem to be more "fence sitters".

When I was growing up it was Labour and Tories much like the US two party system. Then the SDP was formed by those who didn't want the simple "black and white" choices. It's funny, I used to think that the two party system in the USA was a bad system but having watched the comedy that is politics in European countries and now having seen the effect multiple parties has had on the UK's politics I have to say the two party system, while having it's problems, is superior to the hodge-podge of ineffective, limp-wristed leadership that results from coalitions of people who really don't see things the same way.
05-12-2010, 09:17 AM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
Funny, how you and I were thinking something similar. Do you read German?
Hardly well. I have kind of a talent for linguistics: given enough referents, I'm good at deciphering and communicating across languages (I collect root words and patterns pretty voraciously: I used to have quite a collection of foreign language dictionaries which I lost half of in a bugout. (Woe!) That's different from approaching fluency in any one language, though. It doesn't much help me learn languages from books, though, and classes are slow going, so without immersion I only get so far.

Why do you ask? Something in particular to read? I do do well enough at figuring out clunky automated translations.
05-12-2010, 09:24 AM   #29
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Let me preface this with: RML, I know you have a sense of humor and this would be a good time to turn it up full blast.

QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
.........I'm good at deciphering and communicating across languages
How come English isn't one of them?

Oh, c'mon now.
05-12-2010, 09:27 AM   #30
Veteran Member

Let me preface this with: RML, I know you have a sense of humor and this would be a good time to turn it up full blast.

How come English isn't one of them?

Oh, c'mon now.

Oh, several forms of English are. There's no accounting for willful ignorance, though.

As for paranoia about RFID chips and the like, Rupert's right on this one: while everyone's being afraid of government, the corporations send you ads based on what you type in your emails. And yeah, discount cards track your purchasing habits, etc.
Closed Thread