Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-14-2010, 03:38 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Reasons to keep your P&S

Any reasons to keep your P&S when you always shoot with your DSLR?

Please give me some valid reasons for me to not sell my old p&s.

05-14-2010, 04:14 AM   #2
Inactive Account

To use in situations where the safety of the camera might be an issue.My Pentax Optio 750Z has a movie mode and light meter mode that can be handy with the zoom . Another use for old point and shoots is to let the kids use them. I gave mine a Kodak 4Mp camera we had and told them if they were careful with it and took care of it they would get a better camera. They took lots of pics of pets, flowers, friends, low flying airplanes etc... But it gave them an eye and a better sense of responsibility.
05-14-2010, 04:51 AM   #3
Veteran Member

sometimes I need a small camera that I can carry around without thinking about it.
plus for cases where SLRs are not allowed
05-14-2010, 05:05 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
To use in situations you consider 'not dslr worthy', in which you want a very light camera and no PP.

05-14-2010, 05:36 AM   #5
Veteran Member

1.) Keep it in your car. You never know when you'll see something you would like to document so you may return later.

2.) Keep it in your car also because you never know when you will be involved in an accident. It's a good idea to take photos of the license plates of the other car(s) provided you can.

3.) Experiment with it. I have a nice set of Kodak filters sized for the original Retinas which can be easily held over the lenses of my P&S cams.
05-14-2010, 08:12 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You don't always want to lug around a DSLR. At least I don't. I have an older Fuji P&S which has excellent IQ. It's only 2 megapixels but I've had lots of great shots with that camera and I'll keep it until the smoke leaks out.
05-14-2010, 04:48 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Here's one:

Chris

05-14-2010, 04:55 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Sometimes when out with a long lens and no tripod, the p&s can make a nice platform to rest the lens barrel, with the camera itself on a level surface. Kidding there.

Apart from the situation illustrated by Chris, what if you don't always want to schlep the SLR around, but still don't want to lose a photo opportunity?
05-14-2010, 05:01 PM   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
You don't always want to lug around a DSLR. At least I don't. I have an older Fuji P&S which has excellent IQ. It's only 2 megapixels but I've had lots of great shots with that camera and I'll keep it until the smoke leaks out.
So my, it is a Wonderful little apparatus (FinePix 2600Zoom)!
05-14-2010, 07:15 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pablom Quote
sometimes I need a small camera that I can carry around without thinking about it.
plus for cases where SLRs are not allowed
Exactly. I'm waiting for the Samsung TL500 to be released.
05-14-2010, 08:54 PM   #11
Veteran Member

For the wife or husband who dont like to understand how to take quality photo«««!!
05-15-2010, 02:30 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
To be able to enter our monthly P&S contest

Plus, as an addition to the valid reasons already stated above, it's a nice backup for when your DSLR is not available (with Pentax service for instance).
This is of course only valid if you don't have multiple DSLRs at your disposal.
05-17-2010, 06:12 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Try stuffing the K7 in your pants pocket.
05-17-2010, 06:27 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Reasons to keep? I can't think of a good reason NOT to have one.

I think every serious Photographer or amateur (or anyone in between) who enjoys photography and capturing scenes and events should have a portable or Point and Shoot camera. I'm not gonna lie, I take my DSLR almost EVERYWHERE I can, but sometimes having a full sized (K-7) body and lens isn't always feasible, practical or logical. I have a P&S with me in my messenger bag almost every time I leave the house. I have a couple of P&S's now, but only reason I have two is because I just bought a Panasonic LX3 to replace my standard little P&S because I figured if I was going to have a P&S with me, it may as well be the best one you can get and also be Photographer-friendly when it comes to advanced features and manual control (and RAW). If I didn't have a P&S, I'd be missing more opportunities than I am comfortable with.

Here's my new P&S: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/off-brand-camera-discussion-canon-nikon-e...0-new-toy.html

Jason
05-17-2010, 12:50 PM   #15

Lots of reasons, I'll just list two here that came to my minds first:
1) snaps in restaurants - do u really want to lug the heavyduty w/ u?
2) spare for friends - during outings, there was always a friend or two that didn't have a digicam, i never regretted lending my p&s to him/them, ever

Shawn