Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-15-2010, 01:25 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Nuke the well???

Sounds like it may becoming a plan........
Barack Obama sends nuclear experts to tackle BP's Gulf of Mexico oil leak - Telegraph
Of nukes and human hair | The National Business Review - New Zealand - business, markets, finance, politics, property, technology and more
QuoteQuote:
Russian daily Komsomoloskaya Pravda recommends a controlled underground nuclear explosion, apparently a common solution to such problems in Soviet days [What could possibly go wrong? - Editor].

If successful, the nuke would stifle flow from the underground leak by compressing rock against the oil well’s chamber.

Five such explosions were carried out in the 1960s and 1970s with only one misfire, which KP takes to indicate an 80% chance of success in the Gulf.

Last edited by jeffkrol; 05-15-2010 at 06:12 AM.
05-15-2010, 07:35 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've had that thought myself. Along with the immediately-attending "What could possibly go wrong?!"

My best thought is, "Well, hey, you have all these gigantic *drills,* why not put a big thread-tapper on the end and screw it on into the pipe? That probably ain't going anywhere.
05-15-2010, 07:55 AM   #3
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Before you go out on a limb you better evaluate the consequences....even Squirrels know that!
Regards!
05-15-2010, 07:56 AM   #4
Site Supporter

How about one those mother of all bunker busters?
Blow some stuff up.. It's what we're good at.

05-15-2010, 08:05 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I really would prefer they try using something that'll wedge it closed before trying anything that could make an even messier mess. If they could get one of those big threaded taps down that hole, maybe really deep, then they could further plug the shaft with some hydraulic cement or some such. I do suspect that'd do it.
05-15-2010, 08:14 AM   #6
Veteran Member

No *%#$-!@ WAY! Besides acting as a fuse to ignite all that leaked crude, a nuke could crack open a way huger leak and ignite it.

The chemical "dispersal" plan is idiotic as well imho. Disperse where? Already the leaking oil is going to wash up along the entire East Coast US & Greenland, then cross the Atlantic to Scandinavia, Britan, Portugal, then down the African continent, and continue swirling in the Atlantic for many years to come.

A Purdue scientist who analysed the broken-end video says the speed of the leak indicates over 70,000 barrels a day; that is 55gal/barrel * 70Kbarrels/day = 3.85 million gallons a day!
05-15-2010, 08:25 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I actually sent in my suggestion, just in case no one thought of it. Heheheh.

Who knows, but...

They're probably tired of hearing, "Just blow it up!"

I suppose it's just possible it's a new idea to them. Engineers are usually thinking in terms of clever solutions, rather than, "How can I apply what happens when something else goes very annoyingly-wrong?"

05-15-2010, 09:30 AM   #8
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Festus thinks that stuffing the pipe with corn is the way to go. He says it swells, and will quickly seal the leak until the relief well can be drilled. It would take a lot of corn, and each kernel must be inspected for "integrity"....whatever that means....and he is more than willing to go to Louisiana with his Worldwide Army of Squirrel to inspect each kernel unloaded from boxcars out of Iowa.....he loves his Country! He kind of likes corn too....
05-15-2010, 11:23 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rhodopsin Quote
No *%#$-!@ WAY! Besides acting as a fuse to ignite all that leaked crude, a nuke could crack open a way huger leak and ignite it.

The chemical "dispersal" plan is idiotic as well imho. Disperse where? Already the leaking oil is going to wash up along the entire East Coast US & Greenland, then cross the Atlantic to Scandinavia, Britan, Portugal, then down the African continent, and continue swirling in the Atlantic for many years to come.

A Purdue scientist who analysed the broken-end video says the speed of the leak indicates over 70,000 barrels a day; that is 55gal/barrel * 70Kbarrels/day = 3.85 million gallons a day!
Frankly BP's fast running out of quick options......
BP Has ?Problem? Inserting Tube in Latest Gulf Oil-Leak Plan - BusinessWeek
05-15-2010, 11:37 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rhodopsin Quote

A barrel of oil is actually 42 gallons. So 70,000 bbl/day = 2.94 million gallons/day. Still an Exxon Valdez every 4 days. The only way BP is going to make a dent in that much oil is to bring in a fleet of super-tankers to suck up water & oil. That's how Aramco did it in the Arabian Gulf. I don't think BP is willing to spend that much money though.
05-15-2010, 01:53 PM   #11
Veteran Member

I normally don't post in this forum, but I cannot remain silent on this one.

When is our so-called commander in chief going to demand the head of BP's CEO on a platter? And yes, I mean it literally.
05-15-2010, 04:27 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Steve Beswick Quote
I normally don't post in this forum, but I cannot remain silent on this one.

When is our so-called commander in chief going to demand the head of BP's CEO on a platter? And yes, I mean it literally.
He's still at the point of harsh words and making sure there's face to be saved in the oil companies paying for the cleanup, it seems like.

But I don't think they can expect any velvet gloves to stay on too long. If they don't step up, it's time to crack down.
05-15-2010, 04:33 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
He's still at the point of harsh words and making sure there's face to be saved in the oil companies paying for the cleanup, it seems like.

But I don't think they can expect any velvet gloves to stay on too long. If they don't step up, it's time to crack down.
He might send a nasty letter next. There really isn't anything he can do. None of the companies involved is incorporated in the US, and none of them pay US taxes.
05-15-2010, 04:48 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
The US government has demanded immediate clarification from BP over its commitment to pay for costs caused by the oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico.

The Obama administration said it wanted to be sure BP would honour commitments not to limit payments for damages to a US statutory cap of $75m (£50m)
sooo...who's idea was a cap? Oh yes, tort reform...
some ranting.........
http://www.balloon-juice.com/2010/05/06/how-about-we-try-the-free-market-solution/
1990 Congress I assume....
Here's one guilty party..... of course that was a lot more money back then.....
QuoteQuote:
Bill McCollum voted to cap oil spill damages at $75 million

As the oil continues to spill into the Gulf of Mexico, the talk in Washington involves the federal $75 million liability cap on damages, which was approved by Congress in 1990. U.S. Sen. Bill Nelson wants to raise the ceiling to $10 billion.

It's worth noting that then-Congressman Bill McCollum voted for the cap as a part of the Oil Pollution Prevention, Response, Liability and Compensation Act, which won unanimous approval.

The vote puts McCollum, now the attorney general and a candidate for governor, in a precarious spot as the clean up is sure to linger throughout the campaign season. His rival, CFO Alex Sink, was quick to notice.

So does McCollum support raising the federal cap he voted for? His campaign wouldn't say.
http://blogs.tampabay.com/buzz/2010/05/mccollum-voted-to-cap-oil-spill-damag...5-million.html

Last edited by jeffkrol; 05-15-2010 at 04:56 PM.
05-15-2010, 04:57 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
He might send a nasty letter next. There really isn't anything he can do. None of the companies involved is incorporated in the US, and none of them pay US taxes.
But they want things that are in US territory. *Our* territory. Time we started acting like it.

And, yeah, those reducing corporate liabilities to less than a sneeze, even for major disasters like this, just *begged* for abuse (Like we keep saying,) ...why follow the rules when the fine's so small? These are corporations, remember... Another thing to thank the erstwhile 'small government conservatives' for, eh?

The US government still hands these companies a *lot* of money. I heard that the cost of this cleanup at one point is only four days' profits for BP. I say, they *better* pay.
Closed Thread