Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-15-2010, 08:27 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Old TV shows... what do you like/watch

I've always been a sucker for 1950s-60s Sci Fi TV shows and my wife just got me the complete first two years of the TV show The Invaders, starring David Vincent. Great stuff, if you are into the Cold War mentality.

But it got me to thinking... with all the realilty TV crap on 24/7, anybody else like watching TV programs from the Golden Age, anything before the 1980's?
I know "old" is relative depending on when you were born but just interested? Any shows for that matter?

05-15-2010, 08:34 PM   #2
graphicgr8s

There were a lot of great shows back then. When people actually knew how to write. The Man From U.N.C.L.E. Gilligan's Island, That Girl, Combat, Bonanza and many others.
05-15-2010, 08:40 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Too many good shows to mention all of them. I wa glued to TV Land back in the day ten years ago when they had all the good shows. Now, they went cookie cutter with too many reality shows like everyone else. A shame. These days I like to tune into Turner Classic Movies. They've stayed true to form. Still, I'll never turn off a good Hogans Heroes episode when it broadcasts.
Larry
05-15-2010, 08:54 PM   #4
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Jools Quote
I've always been a sucker for 1950s-60s Sci Fi TV shows and my wife just got me the complete first two years of the TV show The Invaders, starring David Vincent. Great stuff, if you are into the Cold War mentality.

But it got me to thinking... with all the realilty TV crap on 24/7, anybody else like watching TV programs from the Golden Age, anything before the 1980's?
I know "old" is relative depending on when you were born but just interested? Any shows for that matter?
Lost in Space.. Original Star Trek... Both are being run on a local network these days. Love the DVR as I have about 40 hours of each recorded. Kind of liked Petticoat Junction too but it doesn't seem to be on anywhere. I'll be a Three Stooges and Honeymooners fan until the day they plant me in the ground.

Don't remember what it was called but there was another Irwin Allen series having to do with a submarine, spun I think, from 20,000 leagues under the sea. Use to watch Gunsmoke, Monday nights, CBS IIRC. Use to watch the Tonight show, when the Real host, Johnny Carson was there. It has pretty much sucked since he left.

Oh, How could I forget the True Classic TV of the day.. Batman!!

Give me any of them over the typical who's screwing who programming of today.

05-15-2010, 08:56 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yep.

graphicgr8s, 'tis true when shows were well written and not based on fads, computer graphics and the latest pop hit. Hey, but there are some good shows from time to time now a days that are well written but far and few in between.

larryinlc, I have resorted to acquiring whatever I can from old TV on DVD. TV Land has completely lost me with their latest packages of reality stuff. Their programming has gone insane or bipolar. I still watch whenever but it ain't the same as it used to be. And yeah, always been a watcher of TCM. Some good movies more often than not. It makes you appreciate how things were made then, compared to what is produced today.

JeffJS, Are you thinking about Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea.
Lost in Space, as hokey as it was, is still viewable if nothing else than a social experiment. And don't forget Time Tunnel (another Irwin Allen special) or Land of the Giants (the fourth of Irwin Allen's sci fi products). Good Times.

Last edited by Jools; 05-15-2010 at 09:10 PM. Reason: adding info
05-15-2010, 09:39 PM   #6
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Jools Quote
Yep.

JeffJS, Are you thinking about Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea.
Lost in Space, as hokey as it was, is still viewable if nothing else than a social experiment. And don't forget Time Tunnel (another Irwin Allen special) or Land of the Giants (the fourth of Irwin Allen's sci fi products). Good Times.
That would be the one.

05-16-2010, 06:14 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

A friend dug up an old Charles Bronson series called Man with a Camera and sent me a DVD set of it.
It's quite a hoot, if for no other reason than they actually tried to get the photography right.

05-16-2010, 08:07 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Bringing a photography reference into this thread, it's amazing how consistent the "great B&W shows of the '60s became boring color TV shows of the '60s" rule applies. It only goes to reinforce the notion that if you want to produce photographic art use B&W film.

My favorite old TV show just might be The Beverly Hillbillies, the first couple of seasons anyway. Over the years I've gained an appeciation for the interaction between Buddy Ebsen and Irene Ryan in the early episodes. Buddy was perfectly willing to step aside and let his castmates take the spotlight.
05-16-2010, 12:00 PM   #9
Veteran Member

The Rat Patrol! (Ahahaha. )

*playing Naked Raygun tune of same name*

Actually, I still love MASH.

And there's something watchable about Adam-12. Compare and contrast with COPS.
05-16-2010, 12:30 PM   #10
Veteran Member

All In The Family
And a number of excellent English shows.

I disconnected my cable about 10 years ago when I discovered I was paying for 60 channels that I never watched.

Mickey
05-16-2010, 05:22 PM   #11
graphicgr8s

Yeah Larry I love Hogan's Heros myself. And Jeff The Beverly Hillbillies and Green Acres. I think PJ and GA were spinoffs of The Hillbillies.

There's Uncle Joe he's moving kind of slow at the Junction
05-16-2010, 06:57 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote

Actually, I still love MASH.

And speaking of MASH, does anyone remember the short lived series.."After Mash"? Starring Radar, Col Potter and Klinger. Didn't last two full seasond as I recall.

Larry
05-16-2010, 07:23 PM   #13
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by graphicgr8s Quote
Yeah Larry I love Hogan's Heros myself. And Jeff The Beverly Hillbillies and Green Acres. I think PJ and GA were spinoffs of The Hillbillies.

There's Uncle Joe he's moving kind of slow at the Junction
I like the Hillbillies too. I think it went, BH>PJ>GA. Can't say I remember seeing Jed and the family mingling with Arnold the Pig.

Uncle Joe had his moments but the real reason to watch Petticoat Junction was...

Attached Images

05-16-2010, 07:59 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Sci-fi channel reruns old origional episodes of Twilight Zone from time to time. That show was very,very good. Even today, after all these years, Hollywood script writers are still ripping off that series.
05-16-2010, 08:04 PM   #15
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
Sci-fi channel reruns old origional episodes of Twilight Zone from time to time. That show was very,very good. Even today, after all these years, Hollywood script writers are still ripping off that series.
Great show.. How about The Outer Limits?