Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-15-2010, 11:07 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Ethics

This seems to be an issue that either I understand perfectly and everyone else for the most part that I've come into contact with doesn't, or exactly the opposite way around.

The problem is, how do you define ethics?

05-16-2010, 01:17 AM   #2

Photos: Gallery
Ethics arent a set in stone topic. It really depends on what society thinks is ethical or not. Like smoking near pregnant women. Definately not the thing you would do these days but probably wouldnt think twice 30 years ago.
I know that engineers in australia have their own code of ethics which they must follow in order to be part of engineers australia but theyres alot of leeway in the wording.
Guess you just have to decide for yourself in the end. Guess what i wrote doesnt really help too much but i havent written much in the forums for awhile and thought i should contribute =p

Chris
05-16-2010, 04:42 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Why do you need to define it? Most things are done without being previously defined.

Here's a principle: Act in such a way that you treat humanity, whether in your own person or in the person of any other, always at the same time as an end and never merely as a means to an end.

Another one here: Follow your purest heart in whatever you do.
05-16-2010, 06:12 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

Ethics are how we want others to treat us, not necessarily how we treat others.

05-16-2010, 04:38 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't think it's possible to have a set of principles that you say are your own "ethics", that conflict with what a large majority of people would call "ethical". The exact definition might vary somewhat, but if only you think a behavior is ethical, it probably isn't.
05-17-2010, 12:10 PM   #6

Taking a stab at this, I would say that ethics is the art of doing the "right thing" and doing it simply because it is the right thing to do, without expectations of reward or even recognition.
So much for a workable (on not) definition. But the problem then comes in determining what is "right". None of us are totally ethical. We have all made wrong moral decisions, wrong choices. Sometimes we have been tempted to, and yes, even concsiously chosen, lie and deceive. Ever been asked a similar question to: Do these pants make my butt look big? Would you have lied and harbored Jews in Nazi Germany/Poland/France/Italy? Yet lying is wrong, RIGHT? This results in a situational ethic--a Do as I say but not as I do sort of ethic. The "right" thing to do is never lie, but not many of us can live up to that high standard.
This can also be applied to all sorts of other issues. Most would agree that lust is wrong --yet how many of us have never lusted? (Isn't LBA a form of lust?? or at least covetusousness!) A totally ethical person is one who would not experience even the thought of lust or covetousness--Oops! failed again Ethics requires that one not have cheated or stolen. Yet many of us log on to this forum during work hours--hours that we are being paid to WORK--and we think nothing of spending time here stolen from our employers.
OK enough already. I am beginning to depress even myself!
05-18-2010, 03:31 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Code:
     INT. JIM'S CLASSROOM -- DAY

Mr. McAllister reads aloud from the newspaper as he paces in front of
his class of high school juniors, Tracy Flick among them. The seats
are arranged in a SEMI-CIRCLE.

JIM (VO CONT'D)
Standing in front of a room full of
young people, trying to make them think
that's how I wanted to spend the rest
of my life,

JIM slaps the newspaper for emphasis and addresses the class

JIM
So would this be an ethical situation
or a moral situation? What's the
difference between ethics and morals,
anyway?

Tracy shoots her hand into the air. JIM notices but keeps looking
around.

JIM (CONT'D)
Anybody

Other hands rise tentatively

JIM (CONT'D)
Derek

DEREK
Uh, ethics is like when you, uh, do
what society tells you is right and
morals are like, uh...

JIM
You're on the right track, who can
help him out?

DEREK
..morals are when...

Tracy's hand goes higher.

JIM
Michelle?

MICHELLE
Morals are like lessons, you know, like
the moral of a story; it's what you
learn from a story or a fable or
something. . .

JIM
Or a life experience. Good. And
ethics?

MICHELLE
That's more like, urn... Ethics is how
you use the morals... that you learn
from a story?

JIM weighs the answer, tries to be encouraging.

JIM
Okay. But we're still missing
something key here. What are we
missing?

TRACY
(hand still raised)
I know.

JIM
(finally)
Tracy.

TRACY
Ethics are...

FREEZE FRAME on Tracy, her hand lowering, her mouth agape.

05-18-2010, 05:20 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I am taking an ethics class in school right now. Quite heady and dry stuff to say the least.

In my School module it is defined as:
"A branch of philosophy that seeks to determine whether the actions of humans are right or wrong. Because it is concerned with whether or not an action is right or wrong, we can use it to analyze how we make decisions regarding how we act. Ethics is the base for harmonious relationships."

There are branches of ethics..
personal = values instilled in people in their upbringing
societal = reflected in our laws, and societal practices
professional = set of standards adopted by a group of practitioners/professionals that reflect common values and guidelines within their practice
05-18-2010, 09:57 PM   #9
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This is a good post and was going to post something similar but there is no need now. I was especially going to point to the fact that various professions have ethics standards either written and/or implied.

QuoteOriginally posted by casil403 Quote
I am taking an ethics class in school right now. Quite heady and dry stuff to say the least.

In my School module it is defined as:
"A branch of philosophy that seeks to determine whether the actions of humans are right or wrong. Because it is concerned with whether or not an action is right or wrong, we can use it to analyze how we make decisions regarding how we act. Ethics is the base for harmonious relationships."

There are branches of ethics..
personal = values instilled in people in their upbringing
societal = reflected in our laws, and societal practices
professional = set of standards adopted by a group of practitioners/professionals that reflect common values and guidelines within their practice