Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-18-2010, 09:11 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Health Care's rosy future...

Texas doctors opting out of Medicare at alarming rate

Link

QuoteQuote:
Texas doctors are opting out of Medicare at alarming rates, frustrated by reimbursement cuts they say make participation in government-funded care of seniors unaffordable.
Two years after a survey found nearly half of Texas doctors weren't taking some new Medicare patients, new data shows 100 to 200 a year are now ending all involvement with the program. Before 2007, the number of doctors opting out averaged less than a handful a year.
“This new data shows the Medicare system is beginning to implode,” said Dr. Susan Bailey, president of the Texas Medical Association. “If Congress doesn't fix Medicare soon, there'll be more and more doctors dropping out and Congress' promise to provide medical care to seniors will be broken.”
QuoteQuote:
The largest number of doctors opting out comes from primary care, a field already short of practitioners nationally and especially in Texas. Psychiatrists also make up a large share of the pie, causing one Texas leader to say, “God forbid that a senior has dementia.”
The opt-outs follow years of declining Medicare reimbursement that culminated in a looming 21 percent cut in 2010. Congress has voted three times to postpone the cut, which was originally to take effect Jan. 1. It is now set to take effect June 1.
QuoteQuote:
The uncertainty proved too much for Dr. Guy Culpepper, a Dallas-area family practice doctor who says he wrestled with his decision for years before opting out in March. It was, he said, the only way “he could stop getting bullied and take control of his practice.”
“You do Medicare for God and country because you lose money on it,” said Culpepper, a graduate of the University of Texas Medical School at Houston. “The only way to provide cost-effective care is outside the Medicare system, a system without constant paperwork and headaches and inadequate reimbursement.”
Well... That's a glowing review of how government manages public health care programs... I know... I know... This time it will be different...

05-18-2010, 09:35 AM   #2
Pentaxian

And your solution?
05-18-2010, 09:40 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Give Texas to the Mexicans?
Seems that Texas is imploding from theocratic influences.

Bring back Tom!!!
Get rid of Newt.
05-18-2010, 09:44 AM   #4
graphicgr8s

QuoteOriginally posted by GingeM Quote
Texas doctors opting out of Medicare at alarming rate

Link

Well... That's a glowing review of how government manages public health care programs... I know... I know... This time it will be different...
Why would you expect anything different to occur. Was reading a column in Pravda West about how Republicans are so against the health care bill. Yet it's modeled after Mass.'s system. And you have to wonder why we are against it? Mass. system is going bankrupt. So will Obamascare.

05-18-2010, 09:45 AM   #5
Veteran Member

The only problem is, private health insurance doesn't want to pay out, either. Which is half the cost of running things like hospitals: administering the for-profit health plans and trying to get paid by companies that don't want to pay out or approve treatments. Some doctors have always whined about not getting paid enough by Medicare or Medicaid: that's nothing new.

Corporate gutting of health care 'reform' means that it's not really a complete system: just hopefully something that'll stop some of the most egregious abuses.

Rearranging the payment plan can only do so much when the big corporations still set the prices and demand so much of what we spend just goes to their profits. They want us to pay them money and then not have to cover anything. Of course that 'trickles down' to both doctors' business viability as well as public health.

We should be able to do *at least* as well as Germany, here.

But that won't happen as long as the big finance feels entitled to keep taking more and more and giving back less and less.

Especially while other parts of the corporate world also want to toxify us all with less and less accountability for when it makes people sicker.
05-18-2010, 12:13 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Just like any other provider, Medicare has to pay something that participants will accept.

My question is where will these doctors do business? In my state the private health insurers peg many of their reimbursements to a percentage of Medicare, and that percentage is usually less than 100%.
05-18-2010, 02:09 PM   #7
graphicgr8s

QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
The only problem is, private health insurance doesn't want to pay out, either. Which is half the cost of running things like hospitals: administering the for-profit health plans and trying to get paid by companies that don't want to pay out or approve treatments. Some doctors have always whined about not getting paid enough by Medicare or Medicaid: that's nothing new.

Corporate gutting of health care 'reform' means that it's not really a complete system: just hopefully something that'll stop some of the most egregious abuses.

Rearranging the payment plan can only do so much when the big corporations still set the prices and demand so much of what we spend just goes to their profits. They want us to pay them money and then not have to cover anything. Of course that 'trickles down' to both doctors' business viability as well as public health.

We should be able to do *at least* as well as Germany, here.

But that won't happen as long as the big finance feels entitled to keep taking more and more and giving back less and less.

Especially while other parts of the corporate world also want to toxify us all with less and less accountability for when it makes people sicker.
You think Germany has good healthcare? I have a customer that goes back to Germany every year and she sure doesn't think it's so great. (She's from Germany and that's where her parents and family still reside)

QuoteQuote:
Chronically expensive

Inefficiency is as big a problem as injustice. Keeping Germany healthy is chronically expensive: this country has the fourth highest health expenses in the world and the compulsory individual fees, be they state or private, carry on rising faster than inflation.

The average state health insurance contribution is €500 a month, which is split between employee and employer – while the self-employed pay everything themselves, unless they’re lucky enough to be in the Künstlersozialkasse for freelancers in creative professions But both state and private health insurance companies have increased their premiums in recent months as rising unemployment has put more pressure on the welfare state.

Yet however much the contributions grow, they never seem to be enough for Germany’s ravenous healthcare system. It demands vast sacrifices, and in the past few years, the government has been forced to inject more and more tax money into the system: from 2008 to 2009, its contribution to the newly devised Gesundheitsfond (“health fund”) – a centralized pot into which everyone’s healthcare contributions are paid – doubled from €1.5 billion a year to €3 billion.
05-18-2010, 02:26 PM   #8
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Here is a case where I think the Republican Plan will work better for Seniors....when you get sick, just die, and do it quickly. When it is your parents, or family, or even you, you can be proud to call yourself a "Conservative" and pin a little "Old Glory Flag" on the corpse. Isn't it funny how you right wing "Compassionate Conservatives" see things like this as good news?
Regards!

05-18-2010, 02:29 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
Here is a case where I think the Republican Plan will work better for Seniors....when you get sick, just die, and do it quickly.
No, it's only the plan for senior Democratic voters.
05-18-2010, 02:45 PM   #10
Veteran Member

That's right, Republican Seniors don't get sick, do they? And...if they do, they always have their rich Handlers to take them to the Vet....right? Get cured and a Lap Doggie shampoo all at the same time! You guys have it made, all you have to do is keep up that little squeaking bark on command, and the world is all blue skies! Damn, being a man instead of a little Lap Doggie for the rich does have its consequences...
Regards!
05-18-2010, 03:16 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
On the other hand, how will we ever the costs if the paying entity, be it public or private, does not cut back?
05-18-2010, 03:30 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
Originally posted by GingeM
QuoteQuote:
Originally posted by Wupert

That's right, Republican Seniors don't get sick, do they? And...if they do, they always have their rich Handlers to take them to the Vet....right? Get cured and a Lap Doggie shampoo all at the same time! You guys have it made, all you have to do is keep up that little squeaking bark on command, and the world is all blue skies! Damn, being a man instead of a little Lap Doggie for the rich does have its consequences...
Regards!
Aaaaannnnnnddd the first sucker is.... Wupert... Who, without thinking started typing...

The point of my asinine post was to generate the kind of stupid post that he came up with. At the same time it was to make the point that there is the possibility that when health care is managed by an entity that can be "managed" by a political entity then the people that rely upon that entity for health care can be manipulated.

PS: Rupert, you drink too much. I can see the change in you every night as time goes on. The later it gets the more strident you become. Chat with that pretty wife of yours about it. She'll probably be relieved when you slow down and pay her the attention she deserves.
05-18-2010, 04:13 PM   #13
Site Supporter

Asinine post?
You think it's only one?
You already pay a politcal entity for your healt care.
05-18-2010, 04:36 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Aaaaannnnnnddd the first sucker is.... Wupert... Who, without thinking started typing...

The point of my asinine post was to generate the kind of stupid post that he came up with. At the same time it was to make the point that there is the possibility that when health care is managed by an entity that can be "managed" by a political entity then the people that rely upon that entity for health care can be manipulated.

PS: Rupert, you drink too much. I can see the change in you every night as time goes on. The later it gets the more strident you become. Chat with that pretty wife of yours about it. She'll probably be relieved when you slow down and pay her the attention she deserves.
Your post makes no sense at all Mr Ginge...posting something to "catch Rupert"? Back in that 3rd grade again? Catch me with what, your ignorance...I am well of your ignorance already, as are most here. Maybe you should just put up a Banner Ad on the Home Page to announce that you are a few cards short of a full deck......
Drinking? Most everyone here and elsewhere knows I hardly touch liquor.....have never done drugs, but can see how those that do become delusional....sort of like you appear here daily.
Best Regards!
05-18-2010, 06:56 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Then you are old and get tired quickly, because, as the day and early evening goes on your posts get, as I said, more and more strident. There's a clear pattern. It is not my job to determine the cause - you have a doctor, pay him a visit.
Closed Thread