Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-19-2010, 01:07 PM   #31
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have always used quality tools and buy American when it is possible or applicable.....long term use being one criteria. I have an old Rockwell circular saw, magnesium body, that I would love to have brand new. Light and powerful, strong and durable. I also like Milwaukee tools, they have served me well in the past. Still......some Chinese products are very good and I won't deny that either. I bought a little 10" Ryobi Table Saw with folding legs a couple of years ago and it has been worked to death, but is still going.....very handy and light, but with a powerful motor and good guides. It won't compare to my Craftsman 10" with a solid steel bed, but it doesn't take two men to handle either.....
Regards!

05-19-2010, 01:13 PM   #32
graphicgr8s

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
I have always used quality tools and buy American when it is possible or applicable.....long term use being one criteria. I have an old Rockwell circular saw, magnesium body, that I would love to have brand new. Light and powerful, strong and durable. I also like Milwaukee tools, they have served me well in the past. Still......some Chinese products are very good and I won't deny that either. I bought a little 10" Ryobi Table Saw with folding legs a couple of years ago and it has been worked to death, but is still going.....very handy and light, but with a powerful motor and good guides. It won't compare to my Craftsman 10" with a solid steel bed, but it doesn't take two men to handle either.....
Regards!
Well I have bought a couple of the chinky imports for a job that was a one shot deal. I found the feel wrong and the quality barely usable and just will never buy them again. You can keep your mainland china junk.
05-19-2010, 01:28 PM   #33
Veteran Member

Just quoting second hand, here, from someone on my ignore list, but:

QuoteQuote:
Quote Originally posted by graphicgr8s Quote
Not really. See I understand what the real costs are of cheap product. And I practice what I preach. My tools are Snap on and Mac. Not the chink knockoffs. My air nailers, routers and saws are Porter Cable. Not the chinky knockoffs. Some are made in the States. Some are made overseas. And yes I can tell the difference. And I am and have paid the extra to find a US product.

That 'ch' word is an ethnic slur on the order of the N-word.

Graphics.

Not that Porter-Cable tools aren't nice. I used to have one of their routers.

While I do share a notion that it's time that American manufacturing put more stock in real quality, (especially when it comes to bearings in power tools) ...this doesn't mean people that make cheaper stuff to order for corporations are deserving of the hate-speech.

Cause, quite frankly, if you called *any* of my Chinese friends that, you'd find out how well *your* parts are attached.

Last edited by Ratmagiclady; 05-19-2010 at 01:37 PM.
05-19-2010, 01:38 PM   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by graphicgr8s Quote
Well I have bought a couple of the chinky imports for a job that was a one shot deal. I found the feel wrong and the quality barely usable and just will never buy them again. You can keep your mainland china junk.
Why am I not surprised George?.....you hate anything that's not "just like you" and yet you may be the weakest link in your chain of work. Your home is full of "foreign crap", your auto, your camera, your lenses......and yet there you are...big Red Neck shining in the sunlight of Freedom! If you were a joke, you would set the whole world laughing......you sure do keep me amused!
Regards!

05-19-2010, 01:58 PM   #35
graphicgr8s

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Why am I not surprised George?.....you hate anything that's not "just like you" and yet you may be the weakest link in your chain of work. Your home is full of "foreign crap", your auto, your camera, your lenses......and yet there you are...big Red Neck shining in the sunlight of Freedom! If you were a joke, you would set the whole world laughing......you sure do keep me amused!
Regards!
Guess you're right here Rupert. I don't like things that are not like me. I expect my tools to last long and work hard. A good return on investment. P-C is like me I guess. Lasts long, works hard, makes a good return on investment. Too bad you don't.
Well my cars are all American. Well not my van. That was made in Canada. So I guess you could say it is foreign crap. But it still runs. And I don't think I am a redneck. City Slicker? Maybe.
05-19-2010, 02:29 PM   #36
Veteran Member

I hope what I'm not seeing here from the only-guy on my ignore list is a contrite apology for his ill-informed use of slurs.

I was seeing a Chinese-American gal for a while, some time ago, (To talk to her,she was more American than me, ..I think she was from like Indiana or something.) Couldn't *believe* some of what I heard.

You don't call people that, Graphics.
05-19-2010, 02:38 PM   #37
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by graphicgr8s Quote
Guess you're right here Rupert. I don't like things that are not like me. I expect my tools to last long and work hard. A good return on investment. P-C is like me I guess. Lasts long, works hard, makes a good return on investment. Too bad you don't.
Well my cars are all American. Well not my van. That was made in Canada. So I guess you could say it is foreign crap. But it still runs. And I don't think I am a redneck. City Slicker? Maybe.

George, I hate to tell you this, it is a shocker to a guy like you, but if someone comes along and steals the "foreign parts" from your "American" autos, you will be filing a missing car report in no time!
I do not find "foreign" objectionable...I do find the mismatched balance of trade with other nations objectionable....but we have little to offer since your Fat Cats sent all of our Mfg to China and other parts of the world where they could "capitalize" on cheap labor....at your expense. You just don't get it, do you?

I have never considered you a racist, and still don't, but your use of "chink" is not a good choice, I agree with the Ratlady....I shoot with a Pentax, not a "chink camera"...so do you. Mama Festus is standing by with soap to wash out your mouth...she is an expert, Otis goes through it every day......
Regards!

Mama Festus...Yes Mr Ginge, I know it is not fresh off the SD card, but I still like it!

05-19-2010, 02:40 PM   #38
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
I hope what I'm not seeing here from the only-guy on my ignore list is a contrite apology for his ill-informed use of slurs.
Would it shock you terribly to learn that it was not an apology?
05-19-2010, 02:48 PM   #39
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Would it shock you terribly to learn that it was not an apology?

That was rhetorical, but, actually, Mr. Mod, that slur really is on the order of the N-word.

(For much the same reasons, actually)
05-19-2010, 03:58 PM   #40
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
That was rhetorical, but, actually, Mr. Mod, that slur really is on the order of the N-word.

Golly... Can we say "running to teacher"...

Grow up... It's a word. Remember "Sticks and stones"... etc.?

Before you complain at me - think back to why and where I'm going next week. PM me if your memory is short and your search doesn't work.

It's still just a word! People are only offended if they chose to be.
05-19-2010, 04:01 PM   #41
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GingeM Quote

What, the 'teacher' who laughs when slurs are in play?

Nah, he's getting off easy.

QuoteQuote:

So you whine.

Bully.

Then I so choose.

Big man.
05-19-2010, 04:45 PM   #42
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GingeM Quote

Grow up... It's a word. Remember "Sticks and stones"... etc.?

Before you complain at me - think back to why and where I'm going next week. PM me if your memory is short and your search doesn't work.

And where was it you said you were from Mr Ginge.......? Maybe you would prefer I drop the "Mr Ginge' and go by some slur of your ancestry? You just let me know...after all, it is only words...right? And here I was thinking you might possibly be a non-racist wingnut....I know better than to give a right winger any benefit of the doubt, my apologies....again!
Regards!
05-19-2010, 05:55 PM   #43
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The Urban Dictionary lists numerous definitions for the word "chinky". More than one of them is consistent with the way it was used in this thread; meaning goods of low quality and apparently having nothing to do with race. Also a derivative of chink as in "chink (weakness) in the armor". Again, nothing to do with race or ethnicity and consistent with its usage here in reference to tools of poor quality. It is one of those words that can be taken any way the person reading it wishes to take it. As I have said before some people are more prone to perceiving racism where non exists than others.
05-19-2010, 06:03 PM   #44
graphicgr8s

QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote

Actually I use it not to refer to a people but to the quality of a product. And also in reference to the communistic government of the manufacturer of said product and those who support that government.

Strange how you get offended by "chinky" yet it's ok for you to use teabagger when referring to members of the tea party. Or people you think are members.

And RML, most of the Chinese immigrants I know who came over are some of the nicest, hardest working people I know. Next to me of course. Actually that's true of many immigrants when they try to join in our society.

How come we will deal with Red China but not Cuba? Cubans work as hard as the Chinese. The government is "communist" too.
05-19-2010, 06:04 PM   #45
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
The Urban Dictionary lists numerous definitions for the word "chinky". More than one of them is consistent with the way it was used in this thread; meaning goods of low quality and apparently having nothing to do with race. Also a derivative of chink as in "chink (weakness) in the armor". Again, nothing to do with race or ethnicity and consistent with its usage here in reference to tools of poor quality. It is one of those words that can be taken any way the person reading it wishes to take it. As I have said before some people are more prone to perceiving racism where non exists than others.

Excellent spin! Did you ever work for the George "Macaca" Allen campaign? Maybe you will have better luck selling that here than he did in his Virginia campaign.....You can call it a dove or a pigeon, a hummingbird or a sparrow, but a duck is still a duck.
Regards!
Closed Thread