Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-19-2010, 07:28 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Inherited Pentax items ..please help me !

Hello everyone. I wonder if someone could give me a little advice? My father in law passed away leaving us with some Pentax/Vivitar items which we haven't a clue what to do with. We don't have the camera, but the lenses are in mint condition, some with carry cases. I've had a look on ebay, but have no clue really how to advertise these or what to ask for them price-wise. They are as follows :

SMC Pentax-M zoom lens 1:4.5 80-200mm, serial number 8090074 with lens caps (no carry case).

SMC Pentax M lens 1:2.8 35mm, serial number 7614311 with lens caps and it's carry case.

SMC Pentax M lens 1:3.5, 135mm, serial number 7768431 with lens caps and it's carry case.

Not sure what this is.... a flash unit of some sort states Vivitar 283 auto thyristor.

Vivitar MC Tele converter 2 x 22 with caps...not sure what this is either.

Any help anyone could offer would be gratefully received !

Thanks in advance !

05-19-2010, 08:05 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by barnsleynanna Quote
Hello everyone. I wonder if someone could give me a little advice? My father in law passed away leaving us with some Pentax/Vivitar items which we haven't a clue what to do with. We don't have the camera, but the lenses are in mint condition, some with carry cases. I've had a look on ebay, but have no clue really how to advertise these or what to ask for them price-wise. They are as follows :

SMC Pentax-M zoom lens 1:4.5 80-200mm, serial number 8090074 with lens caps (no carry case).

SMC Pentax M lens 1:2.8 35mm, serial number 7614311 with lens caps and it's carry case.

SMC Pentax M lens 1:3.5, 135mm, serial number 7768431 with lens caps and it's carry case.

Not sure what this is.... a flash unit of some sort states Vivitar 283 auto thyristor.

Vivitar MC Tele converter 2 x 22 with caps...not sure what this is either.

Any help anyone could offer would be gratefully received !

Thanks in advance !
Not too bad. You might consider getting a Pentax camera body for that stuff, actually. It's not a gold-mine you're sitting on, but fairly nice stuff that you could pretty much turn into a nice old-school outfit for very little outlay. ...add ME Super body or something, and bing.

You might do as well to put the stuff up on our own marketplace here, if you don't want it: you'll get a fair market value and probably no hassles. I'd say of the lot, the 35 is probably the most desirable, ...the flash is a classic workhorse, generally not safe for digital cameras because it comes from a time before they were worried about trigger voltage frying these delicate camera computers, but they're still in use. Not immensely valuable, but very saleable.

Anyway, you should be able to check out prices here, see what people are getting.
05-19-2010, 08:11 AM   #3
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote

You might do as well to put the stuff up on our own marketplace here, if you don't want it: you'll get a fair market value and probably no hassles.
Good idea, RML.

What is needed to sell items?

To list equipment for sale, your account must meet one of the following conditions:

* Donated any amount ($10 - $250) to PentaxForums.com in the past year
* Made 1,000 or more total forum posts
* Made 200 or more total forum posts, and been a member of the site for over 2 year
05-19-2010, 08:33 AM   #4
Inactive Account

This should give you some idea..

Pentax Lens Review Database - Pentax M Series Prime Lens Reviews and Specifications

Pentax Lens Review Database - Pentax M Series Zoom Lens Reviews and Specifications

In most cases, ignore the Cons that people list. My favorite is the one that some body wrote that the M135 isn't on par with the DA*50-135 (NSS), I would hope not.

If you have a mild interest in photography at all, I'd take RML's advice and get a simple film camera, even a K1000, and get some film. You may discover you've been given a new hobby.

Good luck.

05-19-2010, 08:54 AM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Yeah, the lens review database should prove particularly helpful! Good luck!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-19-2010, 09:24 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote

If you have a mild interest in photography at all, I'd take RML's advice and get a simple film camera, even a K1000, and get some film. You may discover you've been given a new hobby.

Good luck.

Heehee. I do like that idea best. You see, Barnsley, what you have there isn't rare or high-end, but it will make excellent images. So fourty or fifty bucks on a camera body may be worth more to you than the cash. But it'll all sell, I'm sure.