Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
05-21-2010, 02:19 PM   #1
graphicgr8s

I wonder

If all the liberal reps got a tingle up their leg when the Mexican president spoke. Telling us about our immigration laws and whatnot. Ever wonder what happens if you are caught in mexico without papers. Even Jack Cafferty blasted him on CNN.

Cafferty Blasts Calderon for "Whining" About Arizona Law, Slams "Pandering" Administration

And an interview with Wolfe Blitzer
QuoteQuote:

BLITZER: Do Mexican police go around asking for papers of people they suspect are illegal immigrants?

CALDERON: Of course! Of course!

BLITZER: If somebody sneaks in from Nicaragua or some other country in Central America through the southern border of Mexico and they wind up in Mexico, they can going get a job?

CALDERON: No, no, no.

BLITZER: They can work?

CALDERON: If somebody do that without permissions, we send -- we send back them.

Here is the main Mexico immigration law: "Mexico welcomes only foreigners who will be useful to Mexican society: * Foreigners are admitted into Mexico 'according to their possibilities of contributing to national progress.' (Article 32)

"* Immigration officials must 'ensure' that 'immigrants will be useful elements for the country and that they have the necessary funds for their sustenance' and for their dependents. (Article 34) *

Foreigners may be barred from the country if their presence upsets 'the equilibrium of the national demographics,' when foreigners are deemed detrimental to 'economic or national interests,' when they do not behave like good citizens in their own country, when they have broken Mexican laws, and when 'they are not found to be physically or mentally healthy.' (Article 37)"

"* The Secretary of Governance may 'suspend or prohibit the admission of foreigners when he determines it to be in the national interest.' (Article 38)

Mexican authorities must keep track of every single person in the country:* Federal, local and municipal police must cooperate with federal immigration authorities upon request, i.e., to assist in the arrests of illegal immigrants. (Article 73)*

A National Population Registry keeps track of 'every single individual who comprises the population of the country,' and verifies each individual's identity. (Articles 85 and 86)" I could keep going. "*

A national Catalog of Foreigners tracks foreign tourists and immigrants (Article 87), and assigns each individual with a unique tracking number (Article 91). Foreigners with fake papers, or who enter the country under false pretenses, may be imprisoned:* Foreigners with fake immigration papers may be fined or imprisoned. (Article 116)*

"Foreigners who sign government documents 'with a signature that is false or different from that which he normally uses' are subject to fine and imprisonment. (Article 116)

Foreigners who fail to obey the rules will be fined, deported, and/or imprisoned as felons:* ... (Article 118)*

Foreigners who violate the terms of their visa may be sentenced to up to six years in prison (Articles 119, 120 and 121). Foreigners who misrepresent the terms of their visa while in Mexico -- such as working with out a permit -- can also be imprisoned."
And Calderon tells us we can't enforce OUR laws? And the Libs give him a standing ovation? And Obamarama sides with him? Against his own country?

All the Arizona law does for the most part is uphold Federal Law. Which it seems the Feds don't want people to do.

Last edited by graphicgr8s; 05-21-2010 at 02:27 PM.
05-21-2010, 02:27 PM   #2
Veteran Member

mkes you wonder doesnt it

Mexico's main immigration law.

Mexico welcomes only foreigners who will be useful to Mexican society:

Foreigners are admitted into Mexico "according to their possibilities of contributing to national progress." (Article 32)
Immigration officials must "ensure" that "immigrants will be useful elements for the country and that they have the necessary funds for their sustenance" and for their dependents. (Article 34)
Foreigners may be barred from the country if their presence upsets "the equilibrium of the national demographics," when foreigners are deemed detrimental to "economic or national interests," when they do not behave like good citizens in their own country, when they have broken Mexican laws, and when "they are not found to be physically or mentally healthy." (Article 37)
The Secretary of Governance may "suspend or prohibit the admission of foreigners when he determines it to be in the national interest." (Article 38)
Mexican authorities must keep track of every single person in the country:

Federal, local and municipal police must cooperate with federal immigration authorities upon request, i.e., to assist in the arrests of illegal immigrants. (Article 73)
A National Population Registry keeps track of "every single individual who comprises the population of the country," and verifies each individual's identity. (Articles 85 and 86)

A national Catalog of Foreigners tracks foreign tourists and immigrants (Article 87), and assigns each individual with a unique tracking number (Article 91).

Foreigners with fake papers, or who enter the country under false pretenses, may be imprisoned:

Foreigners with fake immigration papers may be fined or imprisoned. (Article 116)
Foreigners who sign government documents "with a signature that is false or different from that which he normally uses" are subject to fine and imprisonment. (Article 116)
Foreigners who fail to obey the rules will be fined, deported, and/or imprisoned as felons:

Foreigners who fail to obey a deportation order are to be punished. (Article 117)
Foreigners who are deported from Mexico and attempt to re-enter the country without authorization can be imprisoned for up to 10 years. (Article 118)
Foreigners who violate the terms of their visa may be sentenced to up to six years in prison (Articles 119, 120 and 121). Foreigners who misrepresent the terms of their visa while in Mexico -- such as working with out a permit -- can also be imprisoned.

Under Mexican law, illegal immigration is a felony. The General Law on Population says,

"A penalty of up to two years in prison and a fine of three hundred to five thousand pesos will be imposed on the foreigner who enters the country illegally." (Article 123)
Foreigners with legal immigration problems may be deported from Mexico instead of being imprisoned. (Article 125)
Foreigners who "attempt against national sovereignty or security" will be deported. (Article 126)
Mexicans who help illegal aliens enter the country are themselves considered criminals under the law:

A Mexican who marries a foreigner with the sole objective of helping the foreigner live in the country is subject to up to five years in prison. (Article 127)
Shipping and airline companies that bring undocumented foreigners into Mexico will be fined. (Article 132)

i like this little gem however

In September 2007, Mexican President Calderón harshly criticized the United States government for the crackdown on illegal immigrants, saying it has led to the persecution of immigrant workers without visas. "I have said that Mexico does not stop at its border, that wherever there is a Mexican, there is Mexico," he said.[80]
05-21-2010, 02:30 PM   #3
graphicgr8s

Yep. But when we try to protect our borders it's "racial profiling". Like they wouldn't stop me if I was there illegally. I wonder if I'd actually make it to jail still breathing.
05-21-2010, 02:34 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Twenty years ago in the middle of Mexico, (Merida, not close to any border), I was on a bus stopped for no good reason. The bus was searched, everyone had to show their papers and an "ad hoc" fine was placed on the entire bus which we all had to "contribute" to. Everyone except the driver and his mate were Caucasian or Black. I think we were "profiled".

Yeah, the Mexicans are pure as the driven snow...

[Edit]

Oh... We all had our passports with us. Because carrying identification when you might be mistaken for someone who shouldn't be there isn't that hard and it isn't rocket science. We still had to "pay that fine though"...

[/Edit]

05-21-2010, 02:50 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by GingeM Quote
Twenty years ago in the middle of Mexico, (Merida, not close to any border), I was on a bus stopped for no good reason. The bus was searched, everyone had to show their papers and an "ad hoc" fine was placed on the entire bus which we all had to "contribute" to. Everyone except the driver and his mate were Caucasian or Black. I think we were "profiled".

Yeah, the Mexicans are pure as the driven snow...

[Edit]

Oh... We all had our passports with us. Because carrying identification when you might be mistaken for someone who shouldn't be there isn't that hard and it isn't rocket science. We still had to "pay that fine though"...

[/Edit]
That's called *coerced bribery,* Ginge. Not something we want to emulate, here.

Is there something you're not getting here about that being exactly the kind of sh** this law you're defending leads to?

Or, what, you get to be the greyfaced smiley with the Barrett?

"If you want a banana Republic that bad, why don't *you* go move to one." -Jello Biafra.

Last edited by Ratmagiclady; 05-21-2010 at 02:57 PM.
05-21-2010, 03:08 PM   #6
mel
Veteran Member

Actually, I think GingeM's comments are a statement of the hypocrisy being demonstrated by all of this referenced in the OP (OMG I can't believe I'm actually contributing to one of these threads . . . )

But I don't get the smiley with the gun.
05-21-2010, 03:13 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
But I don't get the smiley with the gun.
It's called "sniping". It's what Calderon was doing today.

05-21-2010, 03:41 PM   #8
Pentaxian

I was in Merida last summer. No problems, not stopped or anything. So I guess I increased the sample by 100%.
05-21-2010, 03:48 PM   #9
Veteran Member

How did you get there?

Fly, perchance? We drove from Belize in a Mexican bus that came to collect us - because no-one trusted the Belizian bus's to get us both there and back...

It would be hard to be stopped on the way to Merida if you flew in...
05-21-2010, 04:50 PM   #10
graphicgr8s

I wonder if Mr. Obama went to Iran and while a "guest" of Iran and Imanutjob said something as derogatory about Iran's "laws" if all the Iran government would give Mr. Obama a standing O as our "representatives" did the mexican nut job. I wonder if they would get a tingle up their leg? Or what if he did that in Cuba?

---------- Post added 05-21-2010 at 08:20 PM ----------

Another example of this administration NOT doing its job

QuoteQuote:
Mother of student who questioned Michelle Obama will not face action

Updated 3:18 p.m. ET
The mother of a Maryland second-grader who questioned First Lady Michelle Obama about the Obama administration's immigration policy will not be deported, federal officials said Thursday.

Immigration and Customs Enforcement will not take action against the mother, according to the Department of Homeland Security.

“ICE is a federal law enforcement agency that focuses on smart, effective immigration enforcement that prioritizes criminal aliens who pose a threat to our communities," spokesman Matthew Chandler said in an e-mail. "Our investigations are based on solid law enforcement work and not classroom Q and As.”

On Wednesday the little girl asked Obama why the president was "taking everybody away that doesn't have papers."

"That's something that we have to work on, right? To make sure that people can be here with the right kind of papers," Obama said.

"But my mom doesn't have any papers," the student said as the first lady ended her answer.

The exchange went viral almost immediately and provided the most unscripted, "real world" moment of an otherwise over-scripted series of events in honor of Mexican President Felipe Calderon's state visit.

In an interview conducted in Spanish after the event, the 7-year old girl told a reporter: “I’m a big girl and I don’t want to be left with nothing. I could almost die.”

“My mommy wants papers so that she can be here legally, so that she doesn’t have to go to Peru,” the girl said (according to a rough translation by the bilingual Eye.)

ICE removed a record 387,790 illegal immigrants in the year ending Sept. 30, 2009, according to the agency. That's a 5 percent increase over the same period in 2008, when the agency removed 369,221 illegal immigrants. The agency deported 298,401 of those immigrants in 2009, and the rest left on their own power.
Maybe this guy needs to be replaced by someone who WIL do what he's paid to do. With taxpayer money!

QuoteQuote:
Top Official Says Feds May Not Process Illegals Referred From Arizona

FOXNews.com

A top Department of Homeland Security official reportedly said his agency will not necessarily process illegal immigrants referred to them by Arizona authorities.A top Department of Homeland Security official reportedly said his agency will not necessarily process illegal immigrants referred to them by Arizona authorities.

John Morton, assistant secretary of homeland security for U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement, made the comment during a meeting
on Wednesday with the editorial board of the Chicago Tribune, the newspaper reports.

"I don't think the Arizona law, or laws like it, are the solution," Morton told the newspaper.
FOXNews.com - Top Official Says Feds May Not Process Illegals Referred From Arizona

Last edited by graphicgr8s; 05-21-2010 at 06:24 PM.
05-21-2010, 07:35 PM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by GingeM Quote
How did you get there?

Fly, perchance? We drove from Belize in a Mexican bus that came to collect us - because no-one trusted the Belizian bus's to get us both there and back...

It would be hard to be stopped on the way to Merida if you flew in...
Drove.
05-21-2010, 08:35 PM   #12
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

George, I agree that there is hypocrisy in the treatment of illegals in Mexico and how Mexico thinks we should be treating illegals here. I once lived in Mexico, and can agree that it is not good to be caught without the proper papers there.....I had them, but some I saw that didn't ended up in Mexican jails, not a place you would want to be, for sure.

Now, can you agree that Mexico does not generally tempt illegals to enter for jobs that Mexicans don't want to do? They do not have employers seeking cheap labor for their greed as we do here. Today we were working in an upscale part of the county, where 99 % are right wing of one sort or another, and I counted 17 different crews of Yard/Landscape workers, and I'm betting, from experience that there wasn't a legal Mexican in the bunch. These same homeowners go to these Tea Bagger events and march and protest against illegals, while seeing no problem with the illegals that keep their lawns in top condition. George....do you see any hypocrisy in this?
Best Regards
05-22-2010, 05:52 AM   #13
mel
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
George, I agree that there is hypocrisy in the treatment of illegals in Mexico and how Mexico thinks we should be treating illegals here. I once lived in Mexico, and can agree that it is not good to be caught without the proper papers there.....I had them, but some I saw that didn't ended up in Mexican jails, not a place you would want to be, for sure.

Now, can you agree that Mexico does not generally tempt illegals to enter for jobs that Mexicans don't want to do? They do not have employers seeking cheap labor for their greed as we do here. Today we were working in an upscale part of the county, where 99 % are right wing of one sort or another, and I counted 17 different crews of Yard/Landscape workers, and I'm betting, from experience that there wasn't a legal Mexican in the bunch. These same homeowners go to these Tea Bagger events and march and protest against illegals, while seeing no problem with the illegals that keep their lawns in top condition. George....do you see any hypocrisy in this?
Best Regards
Sadly this is a problem that feeds on itself. Another part of the circle are legals and citizens who say they can't get a job because of the illegals doing the cut-rate yard work and child care, who won't do it for the pay that the illegals are doing it, and want full benefits to go along with it. Greed and an expectation of a certain standard of living have creating this self-perpetuating monster that there is no one easy solution for. It's going to require a sea-change in viewpoint and way of thinking. I honestly don't think that the majority of Americans are willing to do that. There will be the attitude that someone else can make the change. It's how it always seems to be.
05-22-2010, 10:43 AM   #14
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

QuoteOriginally posted by mel Quote
Sadly this is a problem that feeds on itself. Another part of the circle are legals and citizens who say they can't get a job because of the illegals doing the cut-rate yard work and child care, who won't do it for the pay that the illegals are doing it, and want full benefits to go along with it. Greed and an expectation of a certain standard of living have creating this self-perpetuating monster that there is no one easy solution for. It's going to require a sea-change in viewpoint and way of thinking. I honestly don't think that the majority of Americans are willing to do that. There will be the attitude that someone else can make the change. It's how it always seems to be.
Very good insight on the nature of the problem. It is always the "other guy" that needs to make the change. Just as the homeowners I saw using the illegals had a choice, we all make decisions that best suit our finances way too often. It is not always a right or left thinking decision, it is a human nature type of decision.

If we need these lower priced workers, then let's give them some legal cover and enjoy their benefit to us, while also helping them with their goals, which in many cases is just to support their families in Mexico. That should not be a "wrong" way of thinking, and it is what is happening now but without any control. We are accepting the "baby" and working him to the bone, but we are also allowing the dirty bathwater to infiltrate with him. The hardworking illegals I know don't have any more use for the dirt than we do. Can't we solve this without making Mexicans feel like 2nd class humans?
Best Regards!
05-22-2010, 11:15 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Well, this one is near and dear to my heart for several reasons. For those who don't know, Merida is in the Yucatan state of Mexico.

A couple points that may pertain to this topic:

1) The USA is not Mexico, nor is it any other country on earth. We claim our uniqueness based on our freedoms, liberties and rights that we recognize in all peoples within our borders, even non-citizens.

So, whatever the laws are or the treatments are in any nation, that is not an example, an excuse, nor a reason for us to emulate that nation in any way. There are precious few nations which enumerate all the freedoms and rights that we have in the USA. Our closest example, perhaps, may be the UK, but they don't have freedom of the press as one difference and there are more.

That said:

2) ANYONE with $20 and a passport can enter Mexico at any time. Period. Any tourist. Any one. Any time. From nearly any country.

That is not the case in the USA. The USA requires advance permission from the local consulate or embassy. To apply costs in excess of $100. The waiting period can be 6 months to over a year or two, depending on the country. The questionnaires and applications are extensive. Frequently, you must submit to a physical exam.

And, yes, we are talking about application for a visa for TOURISM. Nothing more. It goes on:

You have to prove you have a bank account (which only moneyed people can have) with a good amount of money in the bank, that you have a job, that you own property, that you have family, that you have no criminal record, that you are not on a terrorist watch list, that you’re not affiliated with any leftist organization, etc. They will examine your body for tattoos and other distinguishing or incriminating features. They will review your medical records. They will evaluate your education and determine if you are an important member of society. After all this, you may still be declined because there are quotas. And even if you have been granted a visa in the past, there is no guarantee that you’ll be granted one in the future.

And each and every application costs another $100, plus the costs of all the documentation.

To get a tourist visa to the USA from Mexico, you may have to submit nearly 40 pages of copies of documents, applications, etc.

So you see, even if you do want to compare "entry" to each country, there are vast differences in what it takes.

Mexico welcomes people with $20 and a passport. You fill out your own visa at the border or on the aircraft.

The USA puts people off with extended requirements, high costs, quota limits on visas, etc, etc, etc

Big differences.

Anyway, I'm glad la policia discovered GigngV on the bus and charged him. Who knows what furtive activities he may have been up to. To bad it wasn't the Federales. They are really tough. Travelers from Belize have long been suspect in Yucatan state due to the intensive smuggling that goes on from there. Of course, you have no way of knowing whether the bus driver or company was really liable for the fine and they just passed on their costs to the passengers, which is what I suspect.

---------- Post added 05-22-2010 at 01:21 PM ----------

Shameless plug follows! (not for me, just friends of mine) Side topic: Since GiengB brought up the topic of the Yucatan and the alleged shakedown he/she experienced there, I'm offering a link to a website that documents what living in Yucatan is actually like: Yucatan Living - Yucatan Living welcomes you to Merida Mexico!

Lots of bright photos which the website owners shoot themselves. Enjoy!

Last edited by yucatanPentax; 05-22-2010 at 11:22 AM.
Closed Thread