mel
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
And maybe line it with mouse fur?

05-23-2010, 03:37 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Funny thought, but I was thinking, "Hrm, I wonder if *robot* kitties would deter sufficiently, then I was thinking of one of those Roomba sweepy things.
05-23-2010, 03:48 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by mel Quote
And maybe line it with mouse fur?

This thread is hilarious.

Reminds me of he bit in Trois Coleurs Bleu when our protagonist borrows a cat to eat the mouse and babies.
05-23-2010, 05:10 PM   #19
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lithos Quote
What's the US equivalent of a Children's python?

Get one of those.
Those have been banned in Florida because of dumb-arses letting them loose.

05-23-2010, 05:12 PM   #20
Site Supporter

I was looking at mouse/rat traps at the store yesterday and they had these, 'No see, No touch' traps. Now I know who they were designed for!
05-23-2010, 05:25 PM   #21
mel
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
I was looking at mouse/rat traps at the store yesterday and they had these, 'No see, No touch' traps. Now I know who they were designed for!
Yes that would be me. Would you be so kind as to supply the name of these wonderous contraptions? I would love to purchase a case of them and fill them with mice from my basement. Please. Oh and the store in which you saw them. Thanks. Muchly.
05-23-2010, 05:51 PM   #22
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mel Quote
Yes that would be me. Would you be so kind as to supply the name of these wonderous contraptions? I would love to purchase a case of them and fill them with mice from my basement. Please. Oh and the store in which you saw them. Thanks. Muchly.
I don't remember the brand name, but it was in the Pest section of Home Depot. I ended up getting the glue boards by Real Kill. They are obvious though if you go to that section.

05-23-2010, 06:12 PM   #23
mel
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I don't remember the brand name, but it was in the Pest section of Home Depot. I ended up getting the glue boards by Real Kill. They are obvious though if you go to that section.
Thanks! Definitely going on my list of things to do tomorrow. I have a raging case of the heebie-jeebies still. I don't want to see, nor deal with, any dead things. Ew.
05-23-2010, 08:10 PM   #24
Inactive Account

Those have been banned in Florida because of dumb-arses letting them loose.
You're sure you're not thinking of Burmese pythons? The ones that can grow big enough to eat 'gators?

Children's are on of the smallest pythons in the world. Grow to four feet, tops.

But that's why I said to get the US equivalent, so if it goes AWOL, it's not a disaster.

Last edited by lithos; 05-23-2010 at 08:16 PM.
05-23-2010, 08:17 PM   #25
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lithos Quote
You're sure you're not thinking of Burmese pythons? The ones that can grow big enough to eat 'gators?

Children's are on of the smallest pythons in the world. Grow to four feet, tops.

But that's why I said to get the US equivalent, so if it goes AWOL, it's not a disaster.
The ones mentioned by name are Burmese python, Indian python, reticulated python, African rock python (Northern and Southern), amethystine python and green anaconda. However, there is a concern for any exotic reptile getting established in the wild. A lot of snake people don't like it, but the fact is that the damn things have been a serious problem in south Florida. I agree that that is is small and wouldn't likely out compete many of the native constrictors.

Last edited by Blue; 05-23-2010 at 08:25 PM.
05-23-2010, 08:53 PM   #26
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
Funny thought, but I was thinking, "Hrm, I wonder if *robot* kitties would deter sufficiently, then I was thinking of one of those Roomba sweepy things.
I can see it now. Instead of scurrying around, a bunch of mice derby-ing around the basement on this contraption like an amusement park ride.

05-23-2010, 09:38 PM   #27
Site Supporter

I found her in one of my shop drawers in late March.

Peaking from behind the bag . . .

Going back into the drawer to retrieve another furby . . .

Looking for another way out . . .

Making a run for it with the last furby (out of focus) . . . she was too fast . . .

05-23-2010, 10:50 PM   #28
Inactive Account

A lot of snake people don't like it, but the fact is that the damn things have been a serious problem in south Florida. I agree that that is is small and wouldn't likely out compete many of the native constrictors.
Aye. Small though a Children's might be, I still wouldn't want one loose in a non-native environment, no matter how small an impact they might have. It could still find a niche and do some damage, and that's not a risk worth taking.
05-24-2010, 04:53 AM   #29
Veteran Member

I found her in one of my shop drawers in late March.

. .

Aaaa! Too cute!

Now I wonder if my allergic sweetie would be OK if I were to adopt a workshop-kitty at need.
Now I'm picturing Tom and Jerry episodes in the photo studio.

But, otherwise, I'd probably have trouble not building them little houses. The best thing in the city for rodent control is just to remove food sources: with field mice looking to nest, this isn't always the solution. The next step is access: figuring out how they get in and sealing that up would help with long-term solutions: traps aren't much of a long-term solution.

I'd personally be going out of my way not to kill them: I just like them too much. (Well, I guess I obviously like rodents. )
05-24-2010, 05:11 AM   #30
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
I can see it now. Instead of scurrying around, a bunch of mice derby-ing around the basement on this contraption like an amusement park ride.

To avoid the situation Jeff suggests, it may be most effective to team the roomba up with a cat. See here: