Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-23-2010, 06:44 PM   #16
graphicgr8s

QuoteOriginally posted by Phil1 Quote
[I]'If they were truly updated all you would have to do is think what you wanted and it would happen like it was yesterday.

Seems old school to use cable instead of fly by wire though
.;[/I]

I believe the hand control kit is cable to the pedal. The pedal to the ECU and throttle body control are electronic. I don't think I would want anyone chopping into the engine harness to install some brand X electronics. That might also screw up the factory covered warranty (and liability) if an installer did the hacking. Messing with factory wireing harnesses now days is a huge no-no.

By keeping the pedals operational anyone can drive the car I would guess is a secondary benifit. On resale it remains stock.

They are fun foul weather cars. Happy Trails to you.

'09 Forester, '10 Outback
Actually if done by a pro it doesn't affect warranty. And it's still full drivable by everyone. Most of the stuff is pretty much "plug and play" when you are trained correctly. But with what's been happening lately I'd fully trust mechanical way more.

05-23-2010, 10:27 PM   #17
Inactive Account

'Actually if done by a pro it doesn't affect warranty. And it's still full drivable by everyone. Most of the stuff is pretty much "plug and play" when you are trained correctly. But with what's been happening lately I'd fully trust mechanical way more. '

I am afraid it would affect warranty provided the determined defect was related to the non-factory engineered accessory installed by anyone not factory trained. What you are asking is the vehicle manufacturer to pay for someone elses possible screw ups. Factorys turn down warranty all the time on cars that have been modified. This is very common of performance modified cars. You are treading on possibly big liability and legal issues with the power and brake controls.

What I am saying is a non factory trailer hitch will not affect warranty on the radio , it may well affect warranty on any vehicle functions or subsequent damage related to the brand X accessory install and use. i.e stability, brake system/ABS function or capacity, vehicle structure and so on.

Talk to a Toyota factory rep and see if it would be OK to plug in a brand X box in their throttle by wire harness and have them assume warranty and liability. Good luck.

In the case of these hand controls I would assume the manufacurer of the item has a large umbrella liability policy and the add ons are well enough engineered and tested to provide a warranty on the product and install himself. This 'warranty' would not be from the vehicle mfg.
To simplify, your birthing doctor will not likely pay for your mid life third visit to a denist for a crown rework.

Things are not the same as they were in the 80s or even the 90s.
05-24-2010, 08:13 AM   #18
graphicgr8s

QuoteOriginally posted by Phil1 Quote
'Actually if done by a pro it doesn't affect warranty. And it's still full drivable by everyone. Most of the stuff is pretty much "plug and play" when you are trained correctly. But with what's been happening lately I'd fully trust mechanical way more. '

I am afraid it would affect warranty provided the determined defect was related to the non-factory engineered accessory installed by anyone not factory trained. What you are asking is the vehicle manufacturer to pay for someone elses possible screw ups. Factorys turn down warranty all the time on cars that have been modified. This is very common of performance modified cars. You are treading on possibly big liability and legal issues with the power and brake controls.

What I am saying is a non factory trailer hitch will not affect warranty on the radio , it may well affect warranty on any vehicle functions or subsequent damage related to the brand X accessory install and use. i.e stability, brake system/ABS function or capacity, vehicle structure and so on.

Talk to a Toyota factory rep and see if it would be OK to plug in a brand X box in their throttle by wire harness and have them assume warranty and liability. Good luck.

In the case of these hand controls I would assume the manufacurer of the item has a large umbrella liability policy and the add ons are well enough engineered and tested to provide a warranty on the product and install himself. This 'warranty' would not be from the vehicle mfg.
To simplify, your birthing doctor will not likely pay for your mid life third visit to a denist for a crown rework.

Things are not the same as they were in the 80s or even the 90s.
I do work for a mobility company here and their mods don't affect factory warranty. And yes they install electronic devices. However there is training each of there techs must go through to keep it that way.
05-24-2010, 10:23 AM   #19
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I have the remote start on my truck. If you haven't had one before, you will be surprised at how quickly it will go from being an accessory to a necessity.

05-24-2010, 08:13 PM   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Congrats on the new car from a long-time Subaru owner!