Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-07-2011, 02:55 AM   #61
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Don't count the Indy chickens just yet for MotoGP - its unlikely you'll see it in 2012, let alone 2013
Laguna has contracts till 2014
Texas now has a 10 year deal from 2013
Indianapolis currently only has a single-year deal - 2011 , with no talk of a renewal...

Remember, Prior to 2007, the US didn't even have a round - I think it was 2001 that was the last Laguna round before the US went into Hiatus due to the problems with the 250GP/125GP class being two-strokes... (Emissions rules meant they couldn't run 125's or 250's in the US - which is why they ended up with 'split rounds' during the US sceduled events... they had extra rounds usually at Assen when the 'big boys' went to the US..... Made the whole thing nonviable really in terms of being a 'whole GP round' as well as costing more money having to run essentially two events on the same weekend... the teams hated it as well....)

Its only the recent introduction of Moto2, and soon Moto3, that meant since everyone is four-stroke now and can all run the US rounds, combined with the likes of the recent prescence of Edwards (to a lesser extent), and now Nicky Hayden and lately Ben Spies that has recreated the interest in US rounds...

I don't see the US supporting 3 events either... it just wouldn't work with the current "Home Rounds" "Fly-Away Rounds" setup, given that all the teams are Euro based... which is one of the reasons the Spaniards (well, some would argue 2 Spanish rounds and a Catalunyian round ) get 3 as do the Italians - its not that far to travel, and they sell out all the events without fail...

07-07-2011, 07:09 AM   #62
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by adr1an Quote
Don't count the Indy chickens just yet for MotoGP - its unlikely you'll see it in 2012, let alone 2013
Laguna has contracts till 2014
Texas now has a 10 year deal from 2013
Indianapolis currently only has a single-year deal - 2011 , with no talk of a renewal...

Remember, Prior to 2007, the US didn't even have a round - I think it was 2001 that was the last Laguna round before the US went into Hiatus due to the problems with the 250GP/125GP class being two-strokes... (Emissions rules meant they couldn't run 125's or 250's in the US - which is why they ended up with 'split rounds' during the US sceduled events... they had extra rounds usually at Assen when the 'big boys' went to the US..... Made the whole thing nonviable really in terms of being a 'whole GP round' as well as costing more money having to run essentially two events on the same weekend... the teams hated it as well....)

Its only the recent introduction of Moto2, and soon Moto3, that meant since everyone is four-stroke now and can all run the US rounds, combined with the likes of the recent prescence of Edwards (to a lesser extent), and now Nicky Hayden and lately Ben Spies that has recreated the interest in US rounds...

I don't see the US supporting 3 events either... it just wouldn't work with the current "Home Rounds" "Fly-Away Rounds" setup, given that all the teams are Euro based... which is one of the reasons the Spaniards (well, some would argue 2 Spanish rounds and a Catalunyian round ) get 3 as do the Italians - its not that far to travel, and they sell out all the events without fail...
Grand Prix/MotoGP came back to the US in 2005. I was at the Corkscrew of Laguna Seca taking it all in...

07-07-2011, 07:21 AM   #63
Veteran Member

nice pics sir!

And you are correct - apologies ! for some reason, I thought it was '07.. and when I looked to confirm, I'm sure I didn't see one between '02 and '07... so there you go. It returned in '05.. which I should have remembered cause that was the big Dog and Pony Show year from Yamaha wasn't it and they raced in traditional colours (just like they did again this year... lol )...

Texas will be interesting - especially if Ben is still doing well - But you just can't beat the view from that corkscrew can you !

Last edited by adr1an; 07-07-2011 at 07:30 AM.
07-07-2011, 05:12 PM   #64
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Bill_R Quote
Street cars? They once were much closer to "street cars" but those days are long gone. The chassis is altered so much now that's a very loose definition and the engines they run haven't been used in a production car for many years. They are butchered down so each of the only 2 makes has the same suspension points and runs the same suspension configuration and geometry (that of an EL Falcon).

By the time they get to Texas they will be a chassis car in much the same way that NASCAR is but running a much more underpowered engine.
Ha ha ha.....there's a lot more to it than that!!
Are you a fan.....or are you not?
Regardless, I have been a "Tintop" fan for over 40yrs....this is what we have in Aus, it is our current "formula".....and I look forward to every race.....and, I predict the category will be VERY popular in Texas too.
Do you think it will go down well....or not?
Cheers, Pickles.

07-07-2011, 06:51 PM   #65
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pickles Quote
Are you a fan.....or are you not?
Well I've followed motorsport in Australia since before we had GTHO's at Bathurst and when F5000's were our top open wheel category and we had FJ Holdens on the Speedway tracks. But I'll follow it all and have been involved in much of it.
We have much more than just V8 Supercars. F3 is emerging and will run at Bathurst. The APCC has a new European based advertising agency. GT's are returning to Bathurst. V8 Dirt Modifieds are on the rise. Our sprintcar drivers compete well in the US and we have drivers in LM's in the US but still can't decide on what regs we'll have for our top tier speedway sedans.
Texas for the V8's is about the revenue from broadcast rights for the series and an ego trip. That will have limited but vocal support. It's ironic they will race at a newly built circuit while there are existing circuits. I'm against it unless it *really* is an expansion and we support races at Symmonds Plains and Eastern Creek and the revenue is put back into the sport. Tracks like Amaroo and Oran Park and the like are where the category had its roots and we won't have any new drivers or any grass roots racing unless we support our local tracks first.
there's a lot more to it than that!!
There isn't really at all. They are, like you say, a "Formula" car and they will be even more. If you want Production Car racing then follow the APCC.
07-08-2011, 05:01 PM   #66
Veteran Member

Well I've followed motorsport in Australia since before we had GTHO's at Bathurst and when F5000's were our top open wheel category and we had FJ Holdens on the Speedway tracks. But I'll follow it all and have been involved in much of it.
We have much more than just V8 Supercars. F3 is emerging and will run at Bathurst. The APCC has a new European based advertising agency. GT's are returning to Bathurst. V8 Dirt Modifieds are on the rise. Our sprintcar drivers compete well in the US and we have drivers in LM's in the US but still can't decide on what regs we'll have for our top tier speedway sedans.
Texas for the V8's is about the revenue from broadcast rights for the series and an ego trip. That will have limited but vocal support. It's ironic they will race at a newly built circuit while there are existing circuits. I'm against it unless it *really* is an expansion and we support races at Symmonds Plains and Eastern Creek and the revenue is put back into the sport. Tracks like Amaroo and Oran Park and the like are where the category had its roots and we won't have any new drivers or any grass roots racing unless we support our local tracks first.

There isn't really at all. They are, like you say, a "Formula" car and they will be even more. If you want Production Car racing then follow the APCC.
No problem then......we agree to disagree.
I am a big fan of V8 Supercars....it's on TV this afternoon...I'll be watching.
The small circuits you mentioned.....yes.....definitely a part of Aussie motorsport, & their closure was UNAVOIDABLE...you would know that......ya can't be "romantic" about these things.
Symmons Plains....couldn't agree more....they should DEFINITELY keep their event.
"Revenue" into the Sport.....Couldn't agree more......BUT FROM WHERE...Cochrane is doing a great job.....but he can't do everything.
State & Federal Govts have a lot to answer for.....too many Greenies, "Do Gooders" & the like who would be happy to see NO motorsport....The outgoing Labour Govt in Vic have almost killed the AGP through lack of support & promotion.
Geez, I can remember in the early nineties, in the Group A era, when in some races, we had only 9 starters!!!....Compare that with today.
I'm happy to disagree with you......I reckon the Yanks will LOVE our cars....& the U.S. venture will be a great success, for V8 Supercars, the teams, the sponsors, & of course....good old Aus.......in fact, I can't see one single negative.
Cheers, Pickles.
07-08-2011, 05:55 PM   #67
Site Supporter

"Revenue" into the Sport.....Couldn't agree more......BUT FROM WHERE...Cochrane is doing a great job.....but he can't do everything.
Cochrane is doing a great job of filling his own pockets and those of his mates then tossing the blame at the State governments. Even now I see him on BigPondTV blaming the Tasmanian Government after just signing a huge deal for TV rights along with the Texas deal. THAT money needs to be put back into the sport. If he can't get sufficient sponsorship to race there then he needs a new job. Since when did you need backing from a State Gov to run a motor race? Since Cochrane came to power!
Geez, I can remember in the early nineties, in the Group A era, when in some races, we had only 9 starters!!!....Compare that with today.
Yeah and I can remember when you didn't even need a round of the ATCC to have totally packed crowds at Amaroo. The AMSCAR series could stand on its own and is where many of the current team owners had their start. It's that sort of basis that made the category. Something which Cochrane seems to easily forget.
Why would the US take to a category such as V8SC when they hardly get a seat at their Grand Am meetings? That's a fantastic category.
All this time I'm replying Cochrane is still babbling about his exports such as the US, India, Singapore ... Not one single mention of the local tracks. I was warned about his attitude by someone who headed his marketing years ago.

07-08-2011, 08:24 PM   #68
Veteran Member

Of course, I respect your opinion......but IMHO what you say is irrelevant & "old hat".
I mentioned the AGP....Cochrane has NOTHING to do with that....it's been all but stuffed by GOVERNMENT indifference/neglect.
Never mind what you personally think about "Super Salesman" Cochrane...he wouldn't be my best mate either......but, his job is to promote V8 Supercars, look after the brand, & promote the sport....all of which he's doing VERY well.
I say V8 Supercars will be a HUGE success in Texas....Are you saying it won't?Wait & see!!
Cheers, Pickles.
07-08-2011, 09:47 PM   #69
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

....I reckon the Yanks will LOVE our cars....& the U.S. venture will be a great success, for V8 Supercars, the teams, the sponsors, & of course....good old Aus.......in fact, I can't see one single negative.
Cheers, Pickles.
The success of ventures like this doesn't have much to do with the actual racing. It's going to be promotion, TV and luck.

Google "Texas World Speedway" to see how that works out sometimes. Meanwhile, Texas Motor Speedway is far more successful.
07-09-2011, 06:54 AM   #70
Site Supporter

Of course, I respect your opinion......but IMHO what you say is irrelevant & "old hat".
I mentioned the AGP....Cochrane has NOTHING to do with that....it's been all but stuffed by GOVERNMENT indifference/neglect.
Never mind what you personally think about "Super Salesman" Cochrane...he wouldn't be my best mate either......but, his job is to promote V8 Supercars, look after the brand, & promote the sport....all of which he's doing VERY well.
I say V8 Supercars will be a HUGE success in Texas....Are you saying it won't?Wait & see!!
Cheers, Pickles.
"old hat"? What a strange term to use. Is supporting the future of motorsport in general "old hat"? I've been on enough comitees and boards trying to get categories moving forward with new ideas and have never been referred to as "old hat"
What specifically is irrelevant and old hat?

So, if the category is doing so well why can't they alone support a race in Tasmania? NASR has 3 rounds of the NSSS scheduled for Tasmania this year. They certainly don't have the same revenue as V8SC but still have contracted drivers and the problems of getting them and their cars across Bass Strait. If the category is doing so well why is the Facebook page filled with disillusioned fans? It does well from a financlial perspective but the fanbase from those who actually follow and support motorsport is diminishing in favour of fanboys and partygirls.
Texas is another example of WHY the category is losing support. I really don't care if that one single race takes off or not. I doubt it will. I'll watch it but cannot support it. To even consider supporting Texas when conventional local tracks are suffering shows absolutely no loyalty to the sport at all and no wisdom in looking forward. You clean up your own backyard first! Where do you expect our next generation of drivers to come from if they don't have tracks to compete on more than once per year or need to travel interstate to get to one?
FACT: NASCAR is huge in the US. V8SC won't come close to filling the stands for even just one race. Their only hope is as a support race which is possibly what they will do. I mean like get with it! They run a tiny little 302 cast iron block engine in a country where 360 is entry or restricted level. The racing is, at best, processional. The main interest is from tactics. You bump another car and you get a penalty where in NASCAR it is mostly sorted on the track. It's expensive because it has stayed stuck with old ways and is dominated by a few teams with the money to put the time into data aquisition and analysis and what development there is left in those old tanks. There is a vocal minority against NASCAR in the US but NASCAR(and dirt track to some extent) is where it is at.
FACT: Similar styles of racing already exist in the US. They just don't get the same support that NASCAR does.
FACT: I agree that Cocharne has done a good job of getting new faces to tracks and in regions where there are no permanent tracks. You simply don't know my personal opinion of him and that doesn't matter. Take a look at another Aussie company being sold overseas.
I say V8 Supercars will be a HUGE success in Texas....Are you saying it won't?
Knock Knock! What makes them any better or different from what they already have? Be REAL. All about Texas is an ego trip and a cash grab. It's nothing about the sport.
07-09-2011, 05:34 PM   #71
Veteran Member

You clean up your own backyard first! Where do you expect our next generation of drivers to come from if they don't have tracks to compete on more than once per year or need to travel interstate to get to one?
And witness Australia's slump in Motorcycle sports. We used to pretty much have the world champion in GP, whilst also being the Moto-X and Superbike champions as well with a very liberal sprinkling of 'inside the top 10' as well and when we weren't, we came 2nd or 3rd..... Last couple of years, particularly with the likes of NSW now being down to less than a handful of circuits (and since most of our top riders where from more country areas.... not the city so to speak ) we have seen that drop away right away starting in the early 2000's (co-inciding with tracks closing left and right) . It was made worse by the bikering over 'formulas' and 'formats'. People split from the ATCC Support stuff, because 'bikes dont need no stinking 4+2 format to be successful!', then there is the *constant* bickering about who runs the Australian Championship and how badly... to the point this year someone setup a completely competing championship....

The State Governments and Councils are not fans either. They are shutting tracks to build houses, or building houses on the doorstep of tracks and then forcing the tracks to close or perform 'modifications' to appease the new residents. There is no interest in Motorsport - its loud, it costs money, it takes room, and did we mention its noisy ? You heard why the *massive* International Raceway at Raymond Terrace got canned despite having all the money and some deals set to go... ? 24km's away there is a Nursing Home, on the OTHER SIDE of the Hill... They successfully lodged complaints that patients may be "Suddenly Startled" by 100db cars 24Km's away.....

And thus - You can now count the internationally competitive aussies in motorcycle sport on one hand.... Thats what a complete lack of local sporting facilities does...

So disagree with everything else - but do listen to what Bill says re supporting local first in order to even *have* a 'next generation'.... There is multiple categories and formulas that can demonstrate this is fact and not fiction....

Last edited by adr1an; 07-09-2011 at 05:44 PM.
07-09-2011, 06:20 PM   #72
Veteran Member

Like I said...we'll agree to disagree.
"Losing Support" is absolute rubbish.....Even through the GFC, when many other forms of sponsored sports suffered, V8 Supercars carried on unscathed.
"Losing Support".....if you had a look at the Townsville race (Partially made possible from VERY enthusiastic support from the Qld Govt).....did you?......it's on today as well!!!....there's no way any "realistic" person could see "lack of support" for the category, from the teams.....or, from the fans.
If YOU don't like it.....that's fine, there's plenty of forms of M/Sport I don't like too......but, "losing Support"??....Please.
What I set out to say, and still say, with total confidence.....V8 Supercars will be a BIG success in the U.S.
So, what do YOU think?.....the question I'm asking YOU, is "Do YOU think It Will Be Successful"?....a simple question that requires a simple answer!!.....but, can you give it?!!!......I'm beginning to doubt it.......c.mon now.......YES or NO?
Cheers, Pickles.
07-09-2011, 09:06 PM   #73
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It's certainly going to be a considerable effort and expense for the teams. Money is going to come from the sponsors or TV contract. How do you ask a sponsor for a chunk of money to race a car across the world from where the sponsor sells its product? Or find an alternate Texas sponsor for a first-time one-race deal? I don't know enough about the finances of those teams to answer those questions. NASCAR doesn't race in Japan any more. I don't know if that was considered a success.