Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-26-2010, 10:31 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I'm Going To Owe Stephen King....

Being a long term Stephen King fan apparently does have it's rewards beyond the reading of a good book now and again. A while back someone gave me a 15 volume set of these Stephen King's Red Leather Library books?

I looked them up and it seems that even incomplete a nice set can command some serious sums. Unlike most book club editions his limited edition red books are actually worth something. There are certain volumes that are harder to find that you can't hardly get unless you're willing to pay $75-100 a pop for them and as it happens I have a few of those plus a good batch of the slightly less hard to find ones.

Set like this $650-750, easy apparently.

So there I was sitting there after looking them up and suddenly I didn't see books so much as I saw my first DSLR sitting up on that shelf! Well, as much as I like Mr King, off to Ebay they will have to go! If I can get $500 for these puppies I am going to go for it!

I'm probably going to wait till late Fall I think because Ebay is slow as molasses during the summer I am told for almost everything. Likely they'll get me more during the pre-Christmas shopping season anyway, but I think I am going to sell these and try to get me my first DSLR out of it.

I'm also listing them first locally on Craig's List, starting now as a swap thing, figuring I might be able to get it done that way. Between that and these two old antique film camera lenses I found in my Grandpa's old trunk recently I think I will likely have the $$$ to get myself a Pentax K-x at some point soon though.

You know it's funny. I don't know how many times recently I've idly looked at that set of red books on the shelf and thought nothing of it. Ditto those old lenses. I knew they were worth something, but it never once occurred to me that they might get me what I've been wanting for a long while now, a DSLR of my own.

Well DUH!

(Smacks self lightly on head!)

Right now I've got some serious camera envy going on with all I've read here, but who knows? Thanks to Mr King, I just may be joining the DSLR crew around here yet!

I've got my eye on this one.

Decent kit? Okay price? I haven't a clue as to the lenses in the kit. Worth it or not? It's $689 in the shopping cart. Body, basic lens, 300MM zoom. There's another version with a 55/200MM lens for slightly less, $625 I think it was but I think this is a better deal maybe. You can get the body plus a 55 MM for less than $500 though. If I have to I could go that route and get more lenses later. I do have the Takumar M42's too so all I'd need is an adapter for those lenses and those might do me for a while anyway.

http://www.amazon.com/Pentax-K-x-2-7-inch-18-55mm-55-300mm/dp/B002OEBTCS/ref=pd_sxp_grid_pt_0_2

Last edited by magkelly; 05-26-2010 at 10:38 PM.