Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-27-2010, 11:48 AM   #16
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by graphicgr8s Quote
Improper use of "it's" and "its"
I'm thinking of a two word phrase I'd like to type right now; and it's not "Happy Birthday!"

05-27-2010, 12:12 PM   #17
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by clmonk Quote
Mine would be comments, usually from co-workers, who say,"Oh I could never afford that!" when I KNOW that they make more than I do.
While someone might certainly be able to afford something based on their salary you can never know if they have a different attitude about spending money. That statement might be more about modesty, restraint, and their fiscal values than it is about their financial means.

I bring my lunch almost everyday and so do some of my co-workers, some who make 6 figure salaries, and I have heard them say, "I can't afford to eat out for lunch," when asked to go along with people who make 40K. It is a more polite than saying, "you are wasting your money on that." Same thing could be said for buying new cars or luxury cars, McMansions, first class plane tickets, drinking at bars, gambling, etc.

They could also be someone who is debt averse speaking to someone who is in a monthly payment mindset. Or they could already be saddled with debts like a lot of student loans or child support. Or they could be someone who saves prudently for retirement or for their childrens' future college education.

QuoteOriginally posted by KxBlaze Quote
Dumb people who don't pay attention while driving.
People who don't share the road with cyclists and who drive in bike lanes.

QuoteOriginally posted by graphicgr8s Quote
People who pay for groceries with food stamps. Steaks better than I can afford. Then buy beer and smokes. All the while having a big updo and 9" nails. And driving off in a brand new car.
I rarely see this because it is usually the mom with 4 kids that has control of the food stamp debit card while her babydaddy is no where to be found and he is the one buying the beer and smokes.

I don't really see that many people with foodstamps buying steak, and even if they do it doesn't really upset me. What really grinds on me is when they are using the food stamps to buy the least nutritious, most overpriced junk food available. The cart is overflowing with soft drinks, chips, tv dinners, chicken fingers, and ice cream. There is not a single fruit or vegetable. I usually try to avoid the grocery store and especially sam's club during the first week of the month.

I think it is a symptom of them not having the time or ability to get to the store more frequently and prepare healthier meals for their families, but it is still a pet peeve.
05-27-2010, 12:55 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Original Poster
We don't have foodstamps in Canada so I wouldn't know much about it...we have foodbanks though.

Another one that burns me....People who say "Like" every other word in a sentence.

I go to school with like a bunch of like 20 year olds and they are always like asking these like questions or making these like statements with like using the word like like for every other like word.

It like makes me like nuts listening to them like ya know?

Oh and with me being the OP here, please do not turn the food stamp thing into some kind of huge political debate...I do not want this thread moved into P&R .......thanks.
05-27-2010, 12:55 PM   #19
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mikemike Quote

People who don't share the road with cyclists and who drive in bike lanes.
Cyclists who don't get out of the way of a moving vehicle when there Is No bike lane.

People who don't look before crossing the street and have their MP3 earpieces screwed into their ears. While technically the pedestrian has the right of way, I've never seen one win a fight with a car.

QuoteQuote:

I rarely see this because it is usually the mom with 4 kids that has control of the food stamp debit card while her babydaddy is no where to be found and he is the one buying the beer and smokes.

I don't really see that many people with foodstamps buying steak, and even if they do it doesn't really upset me. What really grinds on me is when they are using the food stamps to buy the least nutritious, most overpriced junk food available. The cart is overflowing with soft drinks, chips, tv dinners, chicken fingers, and ice cream. There is not a single fruit or vegetable. I usually try to avoid the grocery store and especially sam's club during the first week of the month.
Welfare week is definitely the time to avoid the grocery store.

05-27-2010, 01:02 PM   #20
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
Cyclists who don't get out of the way of a moving vehicle when there Is No bike lane.

Motorists who don't realize that bicycles have as much right to the lane as a motor vehicle does, if there is no bike lane available.
05-27-2010, 01:04 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
People who don't realize that cyclist have as much right to the lane as a motor vehicle does, if there is no bike lane available.
+1 on that one!
05-27-2010, 01:10 PM   #22
Inactive Account

Motorists who don't realize that bicycles have as much right to the lane as a motor vehicle does, if there is no bike lane available.
Yeah, I guess you're right. Tell it to the cyclist I saw get plastered by a semi 2 years ago. Must have been natural selection, I guess.

05-27-2010, 01:21 PM   #23
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
Yeah, I guess you're right. Tell it to the cyclist I saw get plastered by a semi 2 years ago. Must have been natural selection, I guess.

Or a bad driver.
05-27-2010, 01:22 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Cell phone drivers on their phones in the car and driving. I have no issue as long as they are paying attention to the road.
I can count on both hands how many times I've just about been mowed down by people not paying attention to the road with the phone to the ear as I am walking in the crosswalk. I saw a guy a couple weeks ago ear firmly attached to phone run a red light (as I had started walking across as I had the walk sign, and then make an illegal turn.
05-27-2010, 01:46 PM   #25
mel
Veteran Member

Bicyclists who insist on riding AGAINST traffic.
05-27-2010, 02:08 PM   #26
Veteran Member

...being stuck behind a couple of large SUV's, leisurely moseying down the street, and taking extra wide turns - looping left in order to turn right - sticking their large bulbous asses in my face so I can't see past them.
05-27-2010, 02:20 PM   #27
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
...being stuck behind a couple of large SUV's, leisurely moseying down the street, and taking extra wide turns - looping left in order to turn right - sticking their large bulbous asses in my face so I can't see past them.
...being stuck behind a couple of large people, leisurely moseying down the lane in a parking lot.

I want to get out of my car and go slap a license plate on their large bulbous asses.
05-27-2010, 02:27 PM   #28
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mel Quote
Bicyclists who insist on riding AGAINST traffic.
That I agree with.
05-27-2010, 02:46 PM   #29
Veteran Member

I was 'asked to edit' my objections to certain implications which I found were based on class and ethnicity, etc, that have stood all day here...

*click.*

There. Everyone happy?

Lovely.

Last edited by Ratmagiclady; 05-27-2010 at 03:18 PM.
05-27-2010, 03:36 PM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ve2vfd Quote
It's a silly one, but people who cannot stay in their lane when turning at an intersection

Pat
It's not silly at all. I hate people who pull to the right before making a left turn and vice-versa.

People who text while driving. Saw one today run a red light and was missed by only inches.
Closed Thread