Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-27-2010, 05:32 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Got any Pet Peeves? Post 'em Here:

Mine...Parents who don't look after their children in public...

Case in point my story of last night....

So yesterday I am going to pick up some take out sushi for dinner. I get to the door, open the door and am promptly greeted with a large splat noise and directly in front of me half way in and half way out the door lying face down is a toddler just barely over I would say a year old.

My heart proceeded to jump into my throat as I see the poor kid lying there and I think i got the scare of my life in recent memory anyhow. Dad saunters over casually and apologizes...I promptly yet gently tell him he should keep a better eye on his kid. Mum continues to just sit there on the bench and wait, completely unconcerned as to what has just happened....she didn't even more...I swear. So they both continue to let the kid play around in the same area where the kid face planted not 10 seconds ago. I am completely freaked out pay for my food...can barely remember paying for it (I don't know if I even picked up the right order until i got home...I'm glad they checked) as I was till wigged out about the incident that just happened. I look around and see a bottle of water spilled all over the floor and lo and behold the kid is holding a water bottle. I also see a massive stroller blocking the entry way to the restaurant. They couldn't even take the time to move it out of the way.

These people were absolutely friggin' clueless and I am still bothered by being greeted with a kid doing a face plant right in front of me. I wonder about parents sometimes and I can only imagine how they let the kid act in the restaurant...I'll just bet at one point he got to run around in between the tables and chairs while they ate their meal oblivious.
Anyhow I am posting this b/c it is still bothering me. To see that kid do that...I am just glad he wasn't hurt.
It freaked the bejebus outta me though. And I can't believe how out of it some parents are which is even more bothersome.
End rant.

05-27-2010, 05:41 AM   #2
mel
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Ooooo I get that kind of thing a LOT at work. I work in a public library and for some odd reason people think we're there to babysit their kids while they use the computers. One patron even had the nerve to ask us where he leaves his kid for the childcare while he's busy. Um. S'cuze me? Other times we've had parents drop their kids off, as young as 6(!) while they leave to run errands. Another wonderful mom left her child on the toilet in the restroom while she went and sat out in her car for about 15 minutes. The kid was in there screaming for her. We've called the police on these situations more than once.

But with pet peeves, I think the thing that bothers me the most at work is when someone will come up to me and ask a question then walk away while I'm trying to answer/help them. It's almost like there's the expectation that I'll just trot along beside them imparting the information. If they turn their back and walk off I usually quit talking. If they'd like to stay and listen, I'll be more than happy to help them in any way I can. But to turn and walk off after asking for help is just rude.
05-27-2010, 05:59 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I don't know if I'll call it a peeve, but I do get irritated by the same thing now and again.

The other day I was at a nearby park taking some shots. There's a lake there with a dozen or so huuuuuge nishikigoi fish, and there was a cluster of three of them near the shore that I was trying to frame, fiddling around with my CPL to minimize reflection, and suddenly there was a KA-PLASH! as a rock the size of a kid's head was thrown into the middle of the bunch. I look up from my finder to see two kids maybe 9-10 years old, one of whom had just thrown the rock.

I snap "What the heck was that?" to which one kid responded "It wasn't me! It was him!" and the other replied "It was a rock" at which point I'm thinking (if this brat were my son, I'd be smacking some sense into him.... figuratively speaking of course ;-).

So I say "I know it was a rock. How would you feel if somebody threw a rock half your size in the general direction that you stand?" to which he replied, unbelievably, "But I'm not a fish". It was surreal.

The worst part of it was that all that time, his mother was standing ten feet behind him (a french woman) and only in response to my outrage does she make a half-assed effort to scold her son. 'Course I couldn't understand her, so for all I know she was telling his son to try not to provoke the crazy Japanese-American guy with a scary looking camera (I had my Pentax 6x7 with me at the time). If anything, the mother deserved a bitch-slappin' :-P
05-27-2010, 06:05 AM   #4
graphicgr8s

People who pay for groceries with food stamps. Steaks better than I can afford. Then buy beer and smokes. All the while having a big updo and 9" nails. And driving off in a brand new car.

05-27-2010, 06:14 AM   #5
mel
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by graphicgr8s Quote
People who pay for groceries with food stamps. Steaks better than I can afford. Then buy beer and smokes. All the while having a big updo and 9" nails. And driving off in a brand new car.
Yeah that's a good one too. When my eldest was a toddler and we were really struggling, I remember searching around for nickles and dimes to get a half gallon of milk for him, walking to the store because it was my only transportation (on roads with no sidewalks, with a stoller), and watching the smelly dude in front of me buy steaks with food stamps, get cash change, and use that to buy a six pack of beer.
05-27-2010, 07:06 AM   #6
Veteran Member

FYI, if you're somewhere people use a lot of food stamps, I'd be careful of the hamburger, too.

The whole cuts usually ain't London Broil, either, but in some places, you're much safer and better-fed making a stew.
05-27-2010, 07:54 AM   #7
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by mel Quote
Yeah that's a good one too. When my eldest was a toddler and we were really struggling, I remember searching around for nickles and dimes to get a half gallon of milk for him, walking to the store because it was my only transportation (on roads with no sidewalks, with a stoller), and watching the smelly dude in front of me buy steaks with food stamps, get cash change, and use that to buy a six pack of beer.
Nothing new. I still remember the line of people pulling up to the depot to get the Government Cheese, In their Cadillac DeVilles. The best though are the ones who would buy a single package of Kool-aid with the food stamps to get the cash change.

Some of my REAL pet peeves though-----

Half Americans. Hyphenated Americans. African-Americans, Asian-Americans, Mexican-Americans, etc. Why does anybody want to be HALF an American?

Parents who let their kids run wild and throw tantrum fits in the grocery store. Get your screaming brats out of there or give them something to scream about..

Other people who think it's their business to do something when said parent Does give the screaming little shit something to scream about. MYOFB.

05-27-2010, 08:43 AM   #8
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
Why does anybody want to be HALF an American?
Because the other half won't let them be all American?
05-27-2010, 08:56 AM   #9
Inactive Account

*waits patiently for the Septics to ruin this thread and get it moved to PR*
05-27-2010, 08:56 AM   #10

Mine would be comments, usually from co-workers, who say,"Oh I could never afford that!" when I KNOW that they make more than I do.
Another is when Executive Joe asks me for recommendations on software, then asks if I can make a copy of my cd/DVD and slide it to him on the side. This while telling me how only stupid people pay full price for software!
05-27-2010, 08:59 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Dumb people who don't pay attention while driving.
05-27-2010, 09:23 AM   #12
graphicgr8s

Improper use of "it's" and "its"
05-27-2010, 10:42 AM   #13
Veteran Member

It's a silly one, but people who cannot stay in their lane when turning at an intersection is one of those pet peeves that bugs me to no end... and if that bad driver cuts me off or almost hits me, road rage WILL ensue.

Parents who cheerfully ignore their misbehaving little brats is also way up there... I chose to not have kids, I don't see why I should have to tolerate someone else's uncivilized little hell spawns.

(gee, I haven't posted in a while...)

Pat
05-27-2010, 10:49 AM   #14
graphicgr8s

QuoteOriginally posted by ve2vfd Quote

(gee, I haven't posted in a while...)

Pat
Where you been hiding out?
05-27-2010, 11:01 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Where you been hiding out?
Nowhere really...

I was sick much of late march and early april (pneumonia) and busy at work since that.

Plus I haven't had much drive for anything related to photography lately... plus the explosion of users on this board has made it a little less cozy (not complaining though, it's just not the same anymore).

Pat
Closed Thread