Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-30-2010, 10:18 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Having grown up on the East Coast of Fla. and spending time as a kid in the area that's dying, this whole thing just makes me heartsick. I know what lives in those precious ecosystems and when I think about it......
I saw on the news the other day that in the last 3 years, BP has had 760 safety violations in its' US operations. That includes several in that Texas plant that blew up a few years back killing several and injuring hundreds. OSHA has issued them the largest fine in OSHA history-$87 million. There is also evidence that this well was showing problems a few days before it blew. Where is OSHA's accountability in all this? They need to stand up and be counted among the guilty parties, too. The runner up to BP in safety violations was either Sunoco or Conoco, I forget. They had 8-yep only 8. I would like to know how BP pulled that off and who has nice vacation houses in the Bahamas for letting them pull it off.
One thing that does make me feel a bit better is that Bob Graham is going to be heading the investigative committee looking into this. As a former Fl. gov. and US senator, he was not all that supportive about drilling off the coast of anywhere. He has integrity, so I think the investigation will at least be open and guilt will be assigned to all the guilty parties. Of course, that is still a ways down the road and won't do much at all to help the poor brown pelicans who just came off the endangered species list last year and now get to have their nesting grounds soaked in oil.

05-30-2010, 10:33 AM   #32
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by subeeds Quote
Having grown up on the East Coast of Fla. and spending time as a kid in the area that's dying, this whole thing just makes me heartsick. I know what lives in those precious ecosystems and when I think about it......
I saw on the news the other day that in the last 3 years, BP has had 760 safety violations in its' US operations. That includes several in that Texas plant that blew up a few years back killing several and injuring hundreds. OSHA has issued them the largest fine in OSHA history-$87 million. There is also evidence that this well was showing problems a few days before it blew. Where is OSHA's accountability in all this? They need to stand up and be counted among the guilty parties, too. The runner up to BP in safety violations was either Sunoco or Conoco, I forget. They had 8-yep only 8. I would like to know how BP pulled that off and who has nice vacation houses in the Bahamas for letting them pull it off.
One thing that does make me feel a bit better is that Bob Graham is going to be heading the investigative committee looking into this. As a former Fl. gov. and US senator, he was not all that supportive about drilling off the coast of anywhere. He has integrity, so I think the investigation will at least be open and guilt will be assigned to all the guilty parties. Of course, that is still a ways down the road and won't do much at all to help the poor brown pelicans who just came off the endangered species list last year and now get to have their nesting grounds soaked in oil.
Maybe if we ever get the secret transcripts from all those "private"meetings Cheney had with Big Oil, we can answer your question. Of course, we were told it was none of our business....remember? I wonder if it is any of our business now?
Best Regards!
05-30-2010, 01:03 PM   #33
graphicgr8s

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Maybe if we ever get the secret transcripts from all those "private"meetings Cheney had with Big Oil, we can answer your question. Of course, we were told it was none of our business....remember? I wonder if it is any of our business now?
Best Regards!
Wonder if the money they gave candidate Obamaraja helped regulators/inspectors to look the other way? Sorry Ruperto, it's on Obamaraja's watch.
05-30-2010, 01:18 PM   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by graphicgr8s Quote
Wonder if the money they gave candidate Obamaraja helped regulators/inspectors to look the other way? Sorry Ruperto, it's on Obamaraja's watch.
George, if you could get paid for Obama Bashing, you would be richer than the CEO of BP...and just as crooked. Cheney never did work for Obama...Duh! Your guy Jesus George spent eight years gutting regulations wherever he found them, from Wall Street to Deep Water drilling, and now you want to blame Obama?
When you lay the blame of 911 squarely on the shoulders of George Bush, where it belongs, I might listen to you and your persistent hogwash concerning Obama. Meanwhile, you are more a broken record on Obama than the Ratlady is on LGBTs, and that is pretty sad George.
Regards

05-30-2010, 01:21 PM   #35
Veteran Member

Doesn't matter how much they gave Obama. This rig was producing oil under the previous admin.. As for Chaney, what he knows will probably never come out.
05-30-2010, 03:35 PM   #36
Veteran Member

Palin loves to tell people lie George to tell people the Dems took money from Big Oil.. therefore it's their fault... Even if the McCain/Palin ticket got two to five times as much...
05-30-2010, 04:04 PM   #37
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
Palin loves to tell people lie George to tell people the Dems took money from Big Oil.. therefore it's their fault... Even if the McCain/Palin ticket got two to five times as much...
Very interesting that Palin, or "Wonderwoman" if you prefer, is now sqealing for Govt. help in this Spill Disaster......where is all that "independence" from Govt control now? Govt. has, according to her past statements, been too intrusive in the business of Big Oil....now Govt is responsible.......Can anyone spell hypocrite?

Just wondering how much it will cost her to remove all the references to "Drill Baby Drill" from all her campaign literature? I'd like to see her have a big rally for all those Shrimpers in Louisiana......."Spill Baby Spill"?
Regards!

05-30-2010, 04:23 PM   #38
Veteran Member

The news here is indicating that a pole was conducted in the US and most Americans want BP to deal with the issue yet they are also saying the government didn't do enough to fix it? Do you want BP to deal with it, or the gov or both? The poll seems to indicate that people are confused.

It seems to me that you have handed over the protection of your shorelines and industries to foreign private shareholders. I wouldn't expect BP to be capable of dealing with this issue and I certainly wouldn't have expected Americans to have surrendered their future on the whims of a multinational company.
05-30-2010, 04:29 PM   #39
Veteran Member

I notice that Palin has gotten really quiet abut starting to drill in the NWR. Wonder why? If she went anywhere near La. now, they would probably throw oil covered shrimp on her. I would like to see the names of any, if there are any, politicians who have not taken money from an oil company. It's SOP for them. Maybe now they will have second thoughts about it. Hope so anyhow.
05-30-2010, 05:14 PM   #40
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
When you lay the blame of 911 squarely on the shoulders of George Bush, where it belongs,
That's weird, I blame 9/11 on a handful of people who decided to hijack a few airplanes. I suppose you could blame their leader, who set the plan in motion years before G.W.B. was in office.
05-30-2010, 05:20 PM   #41
graphicgr8s

QuoteOriginally posted by Steve Beswick Quote
That's weird, I blame 9/11 on a handful of people who decided to hijack a few airplanes. I suppose you could blame their leader, who set the plan in motion years before G.W.B. was in office.
They just needed time to figure out how to get a big enough explosive since they failed in 92. But they did figure out that Slick wouldn't go after them. Then of course the Cole.
05-30-2010, 06:40 PM   #42
Inactive Account

'I notice that Palin has gotten really quiet abut starting to drill in the NWR. Wonder why? If she went anywhere near La. now, they would probably throw oil covered shrimp on her. I would like to see the names of any, if there are any, politicians who have not taken money from an oil company. It's SOP for them. Maybe now they will have second thoughts about it. Hope so anyhow.'

I noticed that Obama has gotten real quiet about the gulf leak too. Small point here if your not up on it ANWR is above surface drilling, much like the 1,000,000 wells around already. Not too many technical problems with that except its real cold. The ANWR pipeline is already in and has been functioning for years.

There are about 4,000 off shore wells in the gulf. I am sure Obama now understands the dangers of oil and will shut them all down ASAP. I am sure everyone on the gulf prefers shrimp and to be walking and using sail boats than put up with this stuff. I am also confident no federal or state politicians along the gulf have taken any oil money at least since Obama showed us the light. There seems to be little press follow up on the sloppy federal inspectors leading up to this awful leak. I'm sure George Bush was on those inspection teams smoking crack.

Speaking of being on the take, has Obama returned the near $1 mil he got from Goldman Sachs. I know we are all there for Hope and Change, small change anyway. I should not have asked that question Obama is on vacation.

---------- Post added 05-30-2010 at 07:39 PM ----------

Not a lot like Goldman Sachs so it should be easy for Obama to return the cash. Strange no Palin gifts listed. Whoda thunk it?

BP
The management, employees, and Political Action Committees of BP have contributed $69,205 to presidential candidates for the 2008 race.Show relationships:
Candidate Name Party Oil Contributions
Obama, Barack DEM + $39,405
McCain, John S. REP + $18,850
Clinton, Hillary Rodham DEM + $6,200

The total of the contributions in this table may be less than the overall total because some contributions have been hidden by the filtering options

---------- Post added 05-30-2010 at 07:43 PM ----------

Exxon Mobil
The management, employees, and Political Action Committees of Exxon Mobil have contributed $249,838 to presidential candidates for the 2008 race.Show relationships
Obama, Barack DEM + $113,646
McCain, John S. REP + $63,726
Clinton, Hillary Rodham DEM + $19,712
Romney, Mitt REP + $16,550
Huckabee, Mike REP + $6,289
Giuliani, Rudolph W. REP + $5,300
Thompson, Fred Dalton REP

---------- Post added 05-30-2010 at 07:44 PM ----------

Chevron Corp
The management, employees, and Political Action Committees of Chevron Corp have contributed $167,778 to presidential candidates for the 2008 race.Show relationships | Email Chevron
Obama, Barack DEM + $74,575
McCain, John S. REP + $61,313
Clinton, Hillary Rodham DEM + $13,690
Giuliani, Rudolph W. REP + $6,600
Romney, Mitt REP

---------- Post added 05-30-2010 at 07:46 PM ----------

BP America
The management, employees, and Political Action Committees of BP America have contributed $34,546 to presidential candidates for the 2008 race.Show relationships
Obama, Barack DEM + $16,496
McCain, John S. REP + $7,700
Giuliani, Rudolph W. REP + $2,750
Romney, Mitt REP + $2,350
05-30-2010, 08:31 PM   #43
Veteran Member

Sources, Phil?

I notice whoever it is, doesn't cite the figures from the corporations, themselves.
05-30-2010, 09:45 PM   #44
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
There seems to be little press follow up on the sloppy federal inspectors leading up to this awful leak. I'm sure George Bush was on those inspection teams smoking crack.
Thanks for that information, I suspected it all along, but am glad to see you confirm it for us!
Regards!
05-31-2010, 02:21 PM   #45
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by graphicgr8s Quote
They just needed time to figure out how to get a big enough explosive since they failed in 92. ...
(I couldn't translate the other two sentences you wrote into english, so I'm just going to reply to the first one.)

Just for clarity, I think it should be noted (A.) who was in the White House the vast majority of the time from 1992 - 2001 and (B.) what said president did to protect us from terrorist attack:

A. Bill Clinton.
B. didley squat.

For the record, I'd like to say that I do not take issue with president Clintons lack of action, or with G.W.B.'s lack of action until 9-11-2001. personally I would have prefered if here in the U.S. nothing had changed at all. They day the Patriot Act went into effect the terrorists won.

I'm not going to comment on the overseas actions of the Bush era White House and Congress, as they are not relevant to my post.
Closed Thread