Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-28-2010, 06:15 AM   #1
graphicgr8s

Memorial Day Ceremony

Breaking with tradition again. Yes We Can!

Obama Snubs Memorial Day Observances, Heading For Chicago – IndyPosted

Last one to snub was Slick Willie. Oh How they love the military

05-28-2010, 08:14 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Maybe you should read the whole article...

In 1983, President Reagan attended a Williamsburg, Va., summit and sent Deputy Secretary of Defense W. Paul Thayer to lay the ceremonial wreath at Arlington National Cemetery.

In 1992, President George H.W. Bush spent Memorial Day weekend at the Bush family's famed Kennebunkport, Maine, vacation spot, where he attended a wreath-laying ceremony at a local American Legion hall (and squeezed in a round of golf). Vice President Dan Quayle went to the Arlington ceremony.

And on Veterans Day 2007, President George W. Bush was in Texas while Vice President Dick Cheney attended a ceremony in Arlington.
05-28-2010, 08:25 AM   #3
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Oldschool Quote
Maybe you should read the whole article...

In 1983, President Reagan attended a Williamsburg, Va., summit and sent Deputy Secretary of Defense W. Paul Thayer to lay the ceremonial wreath at Arlington National Cemetery.

In 1992, President George H.W. Bush spent Memorial Day weekend at the Bush family's famed Kennebunkport, Maine, vacation spot, where he attended a wreath-laying ceremony at a local American Legion hall (and squeezed in a round of golf). Vice President Dan Quayle went to the Arlington ceremony.

And on Veterans Day 2007, President George W. Bush was in Texas while Vice President Dick Cheney attended a ceremony in Arlington.

When are you guys going to stop gumming up the works here with facts and the "rest of the story"? George was perfectly smug and in a great mood for the entire day after posting another "Obama Slam" and a once again attempting to deceive us with a partial story.....Now look what you have done! Ruined his day! I'm just thankful that you didn't remind him of George playing golf as Katrina leveled New Orleans.....he is already on an overdose regiment of antacid tablets just due to Obama being the POTUS.
Come on guys.....have a little consideration for the health and well being of those like George that are devastated by the facts or the "whole story".
Best Regards!
05-28-2010, 08:44 AM   #4
Pentaxian

I know it was a long article (about 500 words), here's more....

Specifically, Obama has added another item to his weekend itinerary: He will speak at a Memorial Day ceremony at Abraham Lincoln National Cemetery in Elwood, Ill., the White House announced Thursday. (Vice President Joe Biden will lay the wreath at Arlington National Cemetery.)

“We don’t really see the big deal, so long as he’s taking time to honor our fallen war heroes throughout Memorial Day weekend,” Ryan Gallucci, spokesman for AMVETS, told The Washington Post. “After all, it’s not groundbreaking for a sitting president to visit other national cemeteries or overseas ... cemeteries over the holiday. Arlington is certainly not the only place our fallen heroes are buried, so why not pay your respects to veterans around the country?”

05-28-2010, 09:35 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Oldschool Quote
I know it was a long article (about 500 words), here's more....

Specifically, Obama has added another item to his weekend itinerary: He will speak at a Memorial Day ceremony at Abraham Lincoln National Cemetery in Elwood, Ill., the White House announced Thursday. (Vice President Joe Biden will lay the wreath at Arlington National Cemetery.)

“We don’t really see the big deal, so long as he’s taking time to honor our fallen war heroes throughout Memorial Day weekend,” Ryan Gallucci, spokesman for AMVETS, told The Washington Post. “After all, it’s not groundbreaking for a sitting president to visit other national cemeteries or overseas ... cemeteries over the holiday. Arlington is certainly not the only place our fallen heroes are buried, so why not pay your respects to veterans around the country?”
Oldschool, you just keep rubbing it in, don't you? Here George had Obama as a dedicated Military Basher, and unpatriotic Villain, and you just keep spoiling it! Just a plain "Mean Streak" you have there Oldschool......I'm so disappointed in you.
Regards!
05-28-2010, 09:40 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by rupert Quote
oldschool, you just keep rubbing it in, don't you? Here george had obama as a dedicated military basher, and unpatriotic villain, and you just keep spoiling it! Just a plain "mean streak" you have there oldschool......i'm so disappointed in you.
Regards!
05-28-2010, 10:22 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Typical George...

05-28-2010, 02:18 PM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by graphicgr8s Quote
Breaking with tradition again. Yes We Can!

Obama Snubs Memorial Day Observances, Heading For Chicago – IndyPosted

Last one to snub was Slick Willie. Oh How they love the military
Again, you should do a little research.

President Bill Clinton went every year of his presidency, and President George W. Bush went each year except for the year he was in Europe to commemorate the D-Day anniversary. Presidents Ronald Reagan and George H.W. Bush did not attend regularly.

"AMVETS recognizes and appreciates the fact that the president has done a lot for veterans," Agg said. "He's behind the largest increase to the VA budget in history and has signed a number of critical pieces of legislation that benefit vets, including the post-9/11 GI bill, and more recently, caregiver legislation," he said.

Some object to president's absence from Arlington this Memorial Day - CNN.com
05-28-2010, 05:13 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Regardless of the politics, it is a time we should reflect on the lives of those that gave their all for their country. Ceremonies are fine, and help us remember as a united assembly, in a respectful and thankful sort of way, but I prefer to go to this secluded Cemetery every year where some of my family has been buried for over a hundred years....
I first noticed this grave when it was still fresh, years ago...it sits in a far corner silent and still in the old Cemetery that is near no large town or city.....far out itself. I recall the new auto I had just purchased, a new and well paying job, a lovely wife and two fine sons, one barely three years old when this young man gave all he had. I have sit by his grave many times since then, and reflected on what he might say to me if he could....and what I might say to him.
I know nothing of him, and my research has drawn a blank, but someone still loves him, someone still misses him......I miss him.
Best Regards

BTW- Read this a few minutes ago.....Doesn't really sound like a "Military Basher" to me, but to Obama Haters just breathing is an offensive action if done by Obama.....
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_obama_memorial_day

Last edited by Rupert; 05-29-2010 at 08:46 AM. Reason: Add link
05-31-2010, 07:59 AM   #10
Veteran Member

In a Forum chocked full of right wing "Troop Supporters", I find it amazing that those on the right, the same ones that gave Jesus George a pass on brain damaged Soldiers being housed in Mop Closets at Walter Reed, don't have a peep to offer for those that gave their lives for us on this Memorial Day. Too busy bashing Obama and the left to honor the Fallen? The hypocrisy on the right is the most disgusting aspect of all regarding their Party and their positions. I'd like to see some of you "Troop Supporters" prove me wrong here today, but I am not holding my breath.

Perhaps you can save yourself some typing effort and just get Lee Greenwood to sing "Proud to be an American" if you can get together his fee of $20K.......anyone remember how the big right wing Troop Supporter refused to sing that for the Troops unless he got his "Fee of $20K" up front? Typical right wing Troop Supporter.........not much more than a Big Mouth.
Regards
06-01-2010, 07:54 AM   #11

I don't think I qualify to be a Typical right wing Troop Supporter but one of the reasons I was not able to post my support yesterday on Memorial Day was because I was out at the local national cemetery shaking hands, listening to speeches, crying tears, saluting flags, and praying for the families of those whose graves are not yet covered by a growth of grass because they are so new.
I apologize Rupert, for not being here on the boards complaining about SOMEthing.
06-01-2010, 08:06 AM   #12
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Regardless of the politics, it is a time we should reflect on the lives of those that gave their all for their country. ............
Best Regards

You mean instead of sitting around posting meaningless, inflammatory junk like:

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
In a Forum chocked full of right wing "Troop Supporters", I find it amazing that those on the right, the same ones that gave Jesus George a pass on brain damaged Soldiers being housed in Mop Closets at Walter Reed, don't have a peep to offer for those that gave their lives for us on this Memorial Day. Too busy bashing Obama and the left to honor the Fallen? The hypocrisy on the right is the most disgusting aspect of all regarding their Party and their positions. I'd like to see some of you "Troop Supporters" prove me wrong here today, but I am not holding my breath.
Sometimes the best advise a person can take is his own. You should try it some time, Rupert.

Last edited by Parallax; 06-01-2010 at 08:12 AM.
06-01-2010, 08:11 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by clmonk Quote
I don't think I qualify to be a Typical right wing Troop Supporter but one of the reasons I was not able to post my support yesterday on Memorial Day was because I was out at the local national cemetery shaking hands, listening to speeches, crying tears, saluting flags, and praying for the families of those whose graves are not yet covered by a growth of grass because they are so new.
I apologize Rupert, for not being here on the boards complaining about SOMEthing.
No, you are definitely not typical, and I respect your honor of the Fallen. It is not as common as it should be......left or right. Just a day of picnics and water sports......
Best Regards

---------- Post added 06-01-2010 at 10:18 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Sometimes the best advise a person can take is his own. You should try it some time, Rupert.
Oh, I was there Jim......and I didn't ask for $20K to honor the Fallen. Maybe you should take a good look at you party and see if you can see the hypocrisy of all that "You don't support the Troops if you don't support the President" crapola.

Memorial Day, .......and not a word on this Forum by your right wing "All American Boys".........well, George did start the thread, but only to bash Obama. That's a real Troop Supporter?

Not much has changed.....

Regards
06-01-2010, 08:59 AM   #14
graphicgr8s

You might want to look at the General Talk thread Rupert.

I'm just saying. Bless your heart.
06-01-2010, 01:30 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by graphicgr8s Quote
You might want to look at the General Talk thread Rupert.

I'm just saying. Bless your heart.
Yes, I do see it George and it is commendable that you were able to start a post honoring the Fallen without your typical Obama Bashing as you did to start this thread. I was however, disappointed there and here at the small number of responders, although appreciative of those that did respond. In this regard, I take no sides, right or left, more should have given a few words of appreciation to those that gave all they had. Seems all we see nowadays is the "Holiday" and not the reason for it. They all are just "days of play" for people that are mostly self centered and uncaring about the meaning of a Holiday...... just my thoughts, yours may vary.
Best Regards!

---------- Post added 06-01-2010 at 03:37 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
You mean instead of sitting around posting meaningless, inflammatory junk like:

Meaningless and inflammatory to who? To you? You are not the least biased are you? Seems that if a thread tries to sell the idea that the worst oil spill in our history is just a glob of spit in an Olympic size pool, or that Obama was only elected because he is Black, you find nothing inflammatory there? Or the very nature of this thread titled "Memorial Day Ceremony" and when opened is nothing but a blatant and unfair attack on the President....but you don't see a thing inflammatory about that, do you?

You are either like the rest of the right wing hypocrites, or you are not. If you are not, you need to act accordingly.
Best Regards
Closed Thread