Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-29-2010, 12:51 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
FIFA World Cup starts in less than two weeks… anybody interested?

So I am sitting here this Saturday watching a few of the last international friendlies before the World Cup. Man, how cool would it be to be in South Africa to watch a game or two, but nevertheless I’ll be glued to the tele from this corner of the world.
Any soccer fans out there?
Who are you rooting for?

Last edited by Jools; 05-29-2010 at 01:00 PM.
05-30-2010, 01:03 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

The only sport I watch is soccer- so I'm definitely excited! Looking forward to the first match

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
06-01-2010, 10:57 AM   #3

Football

Hoping for England to win the world cup but will enjoy watching all the games.
06-01-2010, 02:33 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cansam Quote
Hoping for England to win the world cup but will enjoy watching all the games.
I have hopes for Spain - in EURO 2008 they were simply magnificent.

06-02-2010, 03:08 PM   #5

Photos: Gallery
yeah with Torres on there team they stand a great chance. Love england and all those players, just hard to route against the USA especially sine we play England on the first game.

Wish I was in South Africa to watch it all, but will def be watching as many as I can (Thanks to DVR)
06-02-2010, 03:10 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Hup, Holland hup!
06-02-2010, 03:17 PM   #7

Can't wait for this to start. GB and Spain have no chance... Don't count on it. Talk about Brazil, Italy, Germany.

06-02-2010, 06:10 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hey great to hear from fellow soccer fans! Keep them coming.
Yep, the excitement is growing.
I planned my vacation around this whole thing. No travel plans mind you. Just sitting in front of the tele. Me and the dogs.
For my faves, I'm thinking Spain, Brazil, Argentina and the Netherlands. But I also like Germany, Mexico.
It's wide open as always, so let us hope for good games.

Last edited by Jools; 06-02-2010 at 06:24 PM.
06-03-2010, 04:14 AM   #9
Inactive Account

My interest in soccer/football used to be the English Premier League every Sunday afternoon until it was cut from free to air TV. I have not watched the Premier League for some time now.

One of my best mates is going to SA. I can't wait for him to get back. What an experience that would be.

That being said, the Australian 'drama news' is hyping the violence in South Africa like stupid. Sure it's a dangerous place, but it would seem the 'news' is going out of it's way to instil fear into the Australian, or Victorian fans, travelling to SA for the cup.

I don't mean to turn this discussion political, but has anyone else across the globe noticed the media taking this stance?

I'm rooting for my countrymen!

Let's not forget the teams that have the home continent advantage. I can remember Cameroon doing quite well the last cup.
06-03-2010, 08:44 AM   #10
Veteran Member

I think England, Holland, Spain or Brazil, one of those. This is one of the weakest German squads in memory, and Italy arn't that strong either.

Although I'm a Dutch guy living in England I'm convinced they'll meet at some point, probably the semis. That'll be an interesting experience
06-03-2010, 10:36 AM   #11

QuoteOriginally posted by Nass Quote
I think England, Holland, Spain or Brazil, one of those.
I don't think you can leave Argentina out of that bunch.
06-03-2010, 03:20 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by fractal Quote
My interest in soccer/football used to be the English Premier League every Sunday afternoon until it was cut from free to air TV. I have not watched the Premier League for some time now.

One of my best mates is going to SA. I can't wait for him to get back. What an experience that would be.

That being said, the Australian 'drama news' is hyping the violence in South Africa like stupid. Sure it's a dangerous place, but it would seem the 'news' is going out of it's way to instil fear into the Australian, or Victorian fans, travelling to SA for the cup.

I don't mean to turn this discussion political, but has anyone else across the globe noticed the media taking this stance?

I'm rooting for my countrymen!

Let's not forget the teams that have the home continent advantage. I can remember Cameroon doing quite well the last cup.
That is an interesting take about the 'drama news' in some of the Australian media.
I don't feel the similar effect here in the U.S., although there have been stories from time to time that talk about security issues. I may have missed some.
The few stories I have read from South America also show some concern over potential security issues but nothing drama-like. I can't speak to other media coverage around the globe.

And yep, Cameroon will be interesting to watch. I am also curious about the Ivory Coast, they may be the best team in Africa. And let's not forget the South Africans who will be inspired by playing on home soil and just may advance. Just like the S. Koreans did in the 2002 World Cup.
Regards, Jools.
06-03-2010, 06:00 PM   #13
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by fractal Quote
Well, if there's anyone who knows violence, it's the Victorians. I blame the shit beer.

Wait? You're a Saffer?

That explains why you're living here, then...
06-03-2010, 06:37 PM   #14
Inactive Account

Go the All Whites !!!! (New Zealand) only the 2nd time we have qualified look out for us in Italys group.
06-03-2010, 07:52 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Good to hear a cheer for the All Whites.
Hey anything is possible. And this version of the Azzuri is not the best. To my estimation the group is open.
Best of luck.