Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-30-2010, 05:51 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Proud of My Daddy

My dad is the reason I love photography. He started giving me composition tips at a fairly young age. When I was about 11 years old, he first took me into the darkroom and showed me how all that business works, instigating a life-long (so far) love of Black and White. My first exposure to 36mm film was via his Leica rangefinder, which I have now inherited. He still has his two Pentax film cameras and the lenses for them.

Well today my dad took the leap to the world of digital SLRs and ordered himself a K-x with the 18-55 and 50-200. I couldn't be more pleased. Way to go Dad!

05-30-2010, 05:55 PM   #2
graphicgr8s

Good for him ! So do you go shooting together?
05-30-2010, 05:58 PM   #3
mel
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by graphicgr8s Quote
Good for him ! So do you go shooting together?
Sadly we're on opposite sides of the continent. He's in Oregon. But next time we get together I'm making it a priority! Last time I was there, about a year and a half ago, He drove me around to all the pretty stuff near them so I could shoot. He was kind of getting into it. Especially when he got out his old film stuff and I could pop those lenses right on my K10D and start firing away. I think that was the start of this process. He is just a very careful shopper.
05-31-2010, 05:57 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Great for you and your Dad, Mel.

Jer

05-31-2010, 08:49 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mel Quote
My dad is the reason I love photography. He started giving me composition tips at a fairly young age. When I was about 11 years old, he first took me into the darkroom and showed me how all that business works, instigating a life-long (so far) love of Black and White. My first exposure to 36mm film was via his Leica rangefinder, which I have now inherited. He still has his two Pentax film cameras and the lenses for them.

Well today my dad took the leap to the world of digital SLRs and ordered himself a K-x with the 18-55 and 50-200. I couldn't be more pleased. Way to go Dad!
It's a proud day for Pentax with such an honored shooter being all digitized.

My Dah was not a photographer, but his old Canon is actually something I keep a bit of with me all the time, ...I took the metering lever from there and put it on my last FTbn, who's still here, when I passed the original down to lil sis.

Tradition.
05-31-2010, 10:05 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My old man would never have owned a Pentax, or anything made in Japan for that matter.
He had served on a destroyer in the Pacific during WWII.

When he saw the photos from my Ricoh 500G (made in Taiwan, lucky for me!) he decided his Kodak was no longer good enough.
I remember being slightly disappointed when he showed me his new used Agfa glorified Instamatic.

Well, at least it wasn't Japanese...

Chris

Last edited by ChrisPlatt; 05-31-2010 at 02:34 PM.
05-31-2010, 10:14 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
My old man would never own a Pentax, or anything made in Japan for that matter.
He had served on a destroyer in the Pacific during WWII.

When he saw the photos from my Ricoh 500G (made in Taiwan, lucky for me!) he decided his Kodak was no longer good enough.
I remember being slightly disappointed when he showed me his new used Agfa glorified Instamatic.

Well, at least it wasn't Japanese...

Chris
Heehee.

Contax!

Maybe Argus.

05-31-2010, 02:29 PM   #8
mel
Veteran Member

Original Poster
My dad's first camera was the Leica IIIF that his brother bought in France while in the army. My brother was the first Pentaxian with a second-hand Spotmatic that I later inherited. They both went on to various other Pentax 35mm as did I. But for digital, I'm the first one to take the DSLR plunge. They both have using point and shoots.
05-31-2010, 04:23 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Great story. Hopefully you'll both be able to go out for a shoot digital.
Nothing like spending some time with a parent taking pictures.
I had that opportunity for several years with my own father before he walked away altogether from photography.
But still, he gave me my first camera (Minolta SRT 102) and the first tips. It's something I will always cherish.