Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-01-2010, 03:23 PM   #16
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mel Quote
Where we are the name is attached to the property record. As well as previous names that owned that property. I can find out who the previous owners were of any house on record. However, my point is, there is SOOO much out there that we didn't put out there ourselves. If someone is determined there is so much available even without our handing it out on facebook. I'm not advocating doing that, but I'm not going to get all worked up about the fact that my facebook says I live in Virginia and I'm married. Pretty much anyone with a lick of Googlebility can find out as much without facebook.
Same here (property tax information). You're correct that anyone can find just about anything on you if they want to. My only real point was that putting info (or pictures) out there that you don't want to share with the world, not a good idea, BeCause of what you say, (highlighted in quote). In fact, Any, electronic communications, can be recalled at any time, for any purpose. If FB works for you, use it in good e-health.

06-01-2010, 05:20 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
I just posted the OP as a bit of info.
I have a facebook account but never use it. I find it to be a bit boring actually. I tried to see what the deal is with it but I am perplexed and just don't get it... maybe I am just old.
If I want to connect with people I pick up the phone and call them or send an email Occasionally I speak to my neice or a friend on MSN back east but that is it. I have no desire to connect with long lost anybodies (especially high school people) from my past...for me the past is just that....the past.
Just my opinion on the topic...doesn't make it wrong...doesn't make it right.
06-01-2010, 05:35 PM   #18
mel
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What I've enjoyed about it from the family aspect is that we can all chime in on conversations without having to coordinate schedules to arrange a conference call or anything. I have a pretty large extended family (20 nieces and nephews counting both sides, some greats in there too), that extends from east to west, north to south, of the U.S.

My opinion as well. Probably more of a testament to my inherent laziness on the communications front than anything else
06-02-2010, 03:39 AM   #19
Inactive Account

Bogus names work a treat. My, (long term), memory is good enough to remember the people I would like to get in contact with again. Two have sprung to mind since i've had my facebook account.

QuoteOriginally posted by lithos Quote
I'm exceedingly paranoid about stuff out there about me
The funny thing is that a unique alias can also reveal things about people. Some people use the same alias for online services, usernames on forums, email addresses and so on. Why, say for example, if my friends alias fell into the wrong hands it would not be hard to discover that he is signed up with an Online Bulgarian Dating Service.

lithos is quite a unique pseudonym...

06-02-2010, 05:50 AM   #20
Inactive Account

I don't put alot of personal information on there, due to the weirdos in the world and have the privacy set so people just can't google me. I have caught up with so many people I haven't seen in years, many of them childhood friends and many high school classmates. I left NY in 1988 and haven't been back. It's nice to catch up and see pictures and share the fun memories. I've also met alot of new friends. I work nights and sleep days, so I don't get out much to socialize. I keep track of FB's privacy issues, make the appropriate changes and change my password every once in a while.
06-02-2010, 11:09 AM   #21
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by fractal Quote
lithos is quite a unique pseudonym...
'Bout as unique as fractal.
06-02-2010, 05:52 PM   #22
Veteran Member

I use FB all the time, to keep up with family and largely as a networking tool.

Damn, I found quite a bit of info about myself scattered about under "Khardur" though... hehe... you could tell what my favorite game was, what is my website, what local artist group I'm in.

It's amusing but nothing that could be used against me in a court of law. =)

06-05-2010, 01:58 PM   #23
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ve2vfd Quote
As long as you follow "Internet Rule #1" (do not put anything anywhere on the internet if you are not willing to share it with the world) then there are no privacy problems with Facebook or any other social media sites.

Pat
This.