Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-31-2010, 05:39 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Today is "Quit Facebook" Day

Sick of Facebook's lack of respect for your data? Add your name and commit to quit!
Go here for the reasons why people are quitting:

QuitFacebookDay.com

05-31-2010, 05:55 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Dang, I'd love to quit, but I can't . . . . I never joined.

Jer
05-31-2010, 06:07 AM   #3
graphicgr8s

QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
Dang, I'd love to quit, but I can't . . . . I never joined.

Jer
Ditto.

m
05-31-2010, 10:28 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Why would I quit facebook?

I've managed to reconnect with dozens of long lost friends, made new friends and keep in touch with my extended family thanks to them.

As long as you follow "Internet Rule #1" (do not put anything anywhere on the internet if you are not willing to share it with the world) then there are no privacy problems with Facebook or any other social media sites.

Pat

05-31-2010, 03:55 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by graphicgr8s Quote
Ditto.

m

X2

05-31-2010, 04:25 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ve2vfd Quote

I've managed to reconnect with dozens of long lost friends, made new friends and keep in touch with my extended family thanks to them.

As long as you follow "Internet Rule #1" (do not put anything anywhere on the internet if you are not willing to share it with the world) then there are no privacy problems with Facebook or any other social media sites.

Pat
I've got to agree with Pat on this one. I feel the potential positives far outweigh the potential negatives (which can be controlled be following the above rule #1).
05-31-2010, 04:45 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ve2vfd Quote

Pat
Absolutely agree. I suspect that there is more personal information put on this site than most of the members here put on FB.
06-01-2010, 10:57 AM   #8
Inactive Account

I'm exceedingly paranoid about stuff out there about me.

Funny thing is, I'd be well-suited to a face book account - because I'm not stupid enough to post pictures, my address or meet up with random strangers.

06-01-2010, 12:34 PM   #9
graphicgr8s

QuoteOriginally posted by lithos Quote
I'm exceedingly paranoid about stuff out there about me.

Funny thing is, I'd be well-suited to a face book account - because I'm not stupid enough to post pictures, my address or meet up with random strangers.
As soon as you post your real name we gotcha.
06-01-2010, 01:09 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I joined FB to help promote my business and am glad I did. I've rediscovered a lot of old friends and have had people stumble across my work and made sales from FB. Right now, I'm using it mostly to promote an amendment to a federal child abuse law that will widen the distance convicted predators can live from schools and parks.

I'm very careful about the info I out on the internet. I never use the city I live in, just the county. I'm careful to never post when we will be gone, too. I still can't believe people put stuff like that on the internet and then are surprised when they get robbed.
06-01-2010, 01:44 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
X2

X3. Never got a Bookface account.
06-01-2010, 02:11 PM   #12
mel
Veteran Member

There's so much out there that's been put public by people who are not you it's ridiculous. I decided a while ago that it's pointless to get paranoid about this or that unless you're going completely off the grid. I'm assuming anyone using an internet forum is not.

For example, as a homeowner, anyone can drive by and get my address, work out the full thing (zip etc), use a reverse directory, get my name, phone, age, then go to my newspaper's real-estate section, look in the tax records, see how long I've lived in this house, what I paid for it, and what I pay in property taxes. All without me doing a thing online. So I'm going to enjoy what is offered, using caution where caution is due.

For me, yes I use it as a marketing and portfolio tool, and I've gotten a few paying jobs because of it. But mostly, my family (siblings, their kids, parents etc) are scattered all over this country and years pass without seeing each other. With facebook we have ongoing conversations in an easy effortless manner that before would require a great deal of effort and time writing letters, emails, phonecalls etc., to keep in touch. My 91 year old cancer-stricken grandmother is on facebook as well (giving us a total of 4 generations connected in this way).

The mini-high-school reunion going on is a tad disconcerting but cool in it's own weird way.
Quit? Forget it. The contact with my family is way too precious.
06-01-2010, 02:21 PM   #13
Inactive Account

Property tax information is public information. A name isn't needed. Not in Michigan anyway. All one has to do is go to the local municipal and ask.

I'm guessing, that Thinking people do not put information out there that they wouldn't tell the world. Forums, FB, etc, can be useful if diligence is exercised.

06-01-2010, 02:23 PM   #14
Veteran Member

What's facebook?
06-01-2010, 02:53 PM   #15
mel
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
Property tax information is public information. A name isn't needed. Not in Michigan anyway. All one has to do is go to the local municipal and ask.

I'm guessing, that Thinking people do not put information out there that they wouldn't tell the world. Forums, FB, etc, can be useful if diligence is exercised.

Where we are the name is attached to the property record. As well as previous names that owned that property. I can find out who the previous owners were of any house on record. However, my point is, there is SOOO much out there that we didn't put out there ourselves. If someone is determined there is so much available even without our handing it out on facebook. I'm not advocating doing that, but I'm not going to get all worked up about the fact that my facebook says I live in Virginia and I'm married. Pretty much anyone with a lick of Googlebility can find out as much without facebook.