Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-31-2010, 03:26 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Let's show proper respect.

In https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/site-suggestions-forum-help/103186-sugges...r-leaders.html I wrote:

QuoteQuote:
I know that things can get quite heated in the politics & religion forum, but is there a chance of a rule insisting on using the proper names of our leaders? I know that it is possible to ignore the forum, but I do like reading some of the discussions. I don't really care if people abbreviate, i.e.; JFK, Kennedy, But I find "Jesus George" and "Obamarama" to be in poor taste. Using such titles add nothing but anger and frustration to the discussion.

In the interest of full disclosure, I will admit to having used the name O-man once or twice. It is something I now regret.
It would be much better if this forum could be self regulating. I'm not suggesting that anyone should change their opinion about said persons, just that we don't make childish mockeries of peoples names, especially those in positions of authority. Think of it as professionalism. Would you use these nicknames in front of a potential employer?

As I said before, I'm guilty of having done it myself in the heat of the moment, but that is no reason to continue doing it.

The purpose of this tread is not to start a flame war - I don't care what forum member X said, nor do I care what politician X said or did. It is not relevant to this discussion. Please don't bring individual incidents into this discussion. It will serve no useful purpose.

05-31-2010, 05:04 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You're asking a few people to give up on half their P&R vocabulary. Good luck with it.

05-31-2010, 05:21 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I have completely given up on taking these types of forums seriously. As long as I visit here knowing that it's akin to trash talking at a football game, I can maintain my sense of humor. Given the posts here, how can anyone take it any other way?

Larry
05-31-2010, 06:17 PM   #4
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

You are asking for those on the right to have respect for Obama, when they in fact have none. Same on the left with Jesus George, and he is called that with regularity in Texas and was, long before he became President for his "Miraculous Conversion" after Big Oil came and visited him to tell him they would run him for Governor if he could clean up his act and gain the support of the "Moral Right". Saved on a Wed night and they never saw him again.........teary eyed and ready for the media.....this is the same guy that sat with Cheney and Rove in the Oval Office and belly laughed at the support they got from the "Dumb F'ing Christians", read all about it,..... and they never disputed it when it was put in print. I can see why you would like to forget all about it, and help him rehabilitate his tarnished reputation, but even if you manage to silence me, his reputation is forever in the Dumpster of History.
I doubt you will have much better luck with George...if he couldn't Obama-Bash he would not have much else to offer here, would he?
In a perfect world, you guys would pull the plug on your hate mongers like Rush and Beck and help cool the rhetoric that has swept America and created this bitter divide, but you keep them going with your support and then expect the left to "turn the other cheek". Maybe you can have better luck with Glenn Beck and his recent obnoxious and indecent assault on Obama's eleven year old daughter? Does that bother you more or less than "Jesus George"?
Regards!

Last edited by Rupert; 05-31-2010 at 06:23 PM.
05-31-2010, 07:26 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Wow Rupert, not only did you completely miss the point, you did the one thing this thread set out to end on post #4.

By the way, nice job on assuming my political affiliations, and on throwing bias into a non biased thread.
05-31-2010, 07:59 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I think you are asking to much when it comes to the forum here to be respectful. Many here fall back on the old arguements because it is safe to do so and doesn't require them to actually listen to the other side nor defend their beliefs. I will be the first to admit that I dislike many traits of our presidents of late but I still show respect for the office something that I think has been lacking for the last two Presidents. I can tell you that I don't agree with some members politcal views here but I do try and follow their arguements and offer rebutals from time to time as well.
05-31-2010, 08:02 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gokenin Quote
I think you are asking to much when it comes to the forum here to be respectful. Many here fall back on the old arguements because it is safe to do so and doesn't require them to actually listen to the other side nor defend their beliefs. I will be the first to admit that I dislike many traits of our presidents of late but I still show respect for the office something that I think has been lacking for the last two Presidents. I can tell you that I don't agree with some members politcal views here but I do try and follow their arguements and offer rebutals from time to time as well.
I'm starting to agree with you. I was hoping that the members of P.F. are a cut above, but I guess that isn't the case.

05-31-2010, 08:54 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Steve Beswick Quote
I'm starting to agree with you. I was hoping that the members of P.F. are a cut above, but I guess that isn't the case.
We are a cut above, all of us, on either side are here doing battle for what we believe and taking the blows as well as giving. Sometimes it is rough and sometimes it is fairly smooth, but we navigate it either way. Those a cut below don't last long here, it is simply too much for them to handle.
I think you might be confusing what you see here with a perceived personal vendetta we have for each other, when that is seldom the case at all. We are simply a reflection of what is out there in the real world to a large extent, but we are much milder here than what you might hear in any bar room in America. George can handle me, and I can handle him........not a chance we would want it any different.
Best Regards
06-01-2010, 12:56 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Those a cut below don't last long here, it is simply too much for them to handle.
Or maybe they are actually members of the cut above crowd, and just get tired of the impropriety?
06-01-2010, 04:59 AM   #10
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Or maybe they are actually members of the cut above crowd, and just get tired of the impropriety?
That's a valid theory.
06-01-2010, 05:50 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Are you insinuating that there are sane people out there that come amongst us....then leave.....quickly? What a novel idea! LOL!
Regards!
Closed Thread