Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-01-2010, 03:59 PM   #1
Veteran Member

some intresting polls came out today

Home> Institutes and Centers> Quinnipiac University Polling Institute> National (US)> Release Detail

June 1, 2010 - More U.S. Voters Want Arizona-Like Immigration Law, Quinnipiac University National Poll Finds; Support For Offshore Drilling Drops

Word format

American voters say 48 - 35 percent they want their state to pass an immigration law similar to Arizona's and by an overwhelming 76 - 12 percent they say that plans by those opposed to the law to boycott Arizona are a bad idea, according to a Quinnipiac University poll released today.

Voters approve 51 - 31 percent of the Arizona law; think 45 - 36 percent it will reduce illegal immigration and want 66 - 26 percent immigration reform to move in the direction of stricter enforcement rather than integrating immigrants into American society, the independent Quinnipiac (KWIN-uh-pe-ack) University survey finds.

While voters say 49 - 44 percent that the oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico does not make them less likely to support offshore drilling, support for offshore drilling to help America become less dependent on foreign oil is at 53 - 40 percent, down from 62 - 32 percent in an August 20, 2008, Quinnipiac University survey.

"The Arizona immigration law has emerged as a major divide in the country, but the numbers are on the side of those supporting it," said Peter A. Brown, assistant director of the Quinnipiac University Polling Institute. "The strong plurality who says they would like a similar law in their own state probably portends the law will be an issue in many, many campaigns this November across the country. Depending on how those elections and court challenges come out, copy cat Arizona laws could be a hot issue in state capitals after November."

The support for the Arizona law comes despite the 45 - 40 percent belief by voters that it will lead to discrimination against Hispanics.

Support for the Arizona law and the desire to have a similar statute in their own state follows a similar demographic pattern: More than two-thirds of Republicans; more than half of independents and less than a third of Democrats are in favor.

On the desire to have a similar law in their own state, men agree 55 - 35 percent, while women agree 42 - 36 percent. The biggest gaps come along generational lines: Voters 18 to 34 years old oppose such a law in their state 43 - 36 percent, but voters 35 to 54 years old support such a law 52 - 33 percent and voters over 55 support such laws 55 - 32 percent.

White voters back the idea 53 - 32 percent, while black voters oppose it 43 - 26 percent and Hispanic voters oppose it 52 - 37 percent.

"Support for the Arizona law and its extension divides along political and racial lines, with much stronger support from men than women," Brown said. "While young voters are split on the law in Arizona, they don't want it in their state.

"And no group believes a boycott is a good idea."

On offshore drilling, there is a clear partisan hue to the data. Although 53 percent overall support new exploration, that breaks down to 78 percent of Republicans, 49 percent of independent voters and only 41 percent of Democrats. Republican voters say 72 - 25 percent that the Gulf oil spill has not reduced their support for offshore drilling. But Democrats are having second thoughts 54 - 38 percent, as are independent voters 48 - 45 percent.

"Despite their support for continued offshore drilling, voters disapprove 42 - 39 percent of President Barack Obama's handling of the oil spill," said Brown. "Given that Democrats are generally preferred on issues like the environment; these numbers are a warning sign to the White House that the oil spill could become a political problem."

From May 19 - 24, Quinnipiac University surveyed 1,914 registered voters nationwide with a margin of error of +/- 2.2 percentage points.

actual break down of the poll can be found here

National (US) Poll * June 1, 2010 * More U.S. Voters Want Arizona- - Quinnipiac University – Hamden, Connecticut

06-02-2010, 11:40 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Since this topic is "quiet"

QuoteQuote:
Even if the President were to repel a Martian invasion, the right's reaction would likely be the same as it was after the Christmas Day bombing attempt, or the failed Times Square attack, or the current oil spill: denigration of Obama's competence, suspicion of his motives and implicit (or explicit) hope for his failure.
How Obama Haters May Help Democrats in Midterm Elections - TIME
QuoteQuote:
In the run-up to the 2010 midterm elections, we have already seen that the anti-Obama forces are expressing their disagreements with the Administration in terms far more personal than political, tinged with an apocalyptic irrationality. The centrifugal force exerted on conservative leaders toward the extreme wing of their party is bound to lead to even more magnified rhetoric in the next few years. The contrast between those excessive attacks and Obama's famous cool will serve him, and the Democrats, well.

Within the overheated conservative bubble there is little room for discussions of serious policy alternatives to deal with America's problems, reminders that the country is typically drawn to optimistic candidates (like Reagan and Obama) and weighty appeals to the center of the electorate. If Obama is the worst President ever, as conservatives seem to believe, why do they need to say anything more than that to take control of Congress and then get rid of him? But while the conservatives' ultimate condemnation rallies their core supporters and resonates with some centrist voters, over time it is unlikely to produce a majority against the Administration.

It can't be pleasant for Obama to be the subject of such attacks. And solving the country's major problems in a bipartisan fashion will be difficult under these rancorous circumstances. But as long as those trying to beat him are blind to the fact that tens of millions of voting Americans think Obama is doing a fine job, this President has a great ally in his enemies.
06-02-2010, 12:00 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I know it was rather quiet I figures maybe someone would at least read the article and look at some of the poll data but it doesn't look that way. Maybe my title wasn't nearly exciting enough to justify someone looking at it here?
06-02-2010, 12:55 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I read the numbers with great interest, and was a bit surprised... and felt a pang of shame for the boomer generation, such great ideals now reduced to property values and illegal immigrant suspicions.

I did not click through - I was wondering just how the questions were worded?

For this forum, there's two problems: 1) inconvenient results for liberals 2) the conservatives here don't believe in facts unless reported by the correct media outlet

06-02-2010, 12:57 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gokenin Quote
I know it was rather quiet I figures maybe someone would at least read the article and look at some of the poll data but it doesn't look that way. Maybe my title wasn't nearly exciting enough to justify someone looking at it here?
Actually I did read the article /results about 10 minutes after you posted. I was wondering about the demographic of people poled .
OK maybe you should change the title to: What Real Americans Think About The Onslaughts From South Of The Border
Think that would get better play?
06-02-2010, 01:09 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
I read the numbers with great interest, and was a bit surprised... and felt a pang of shame for the boomer generation, such great ideals now reduced to property values and illegal immigrant suspicions.

I did not click through - I was wondering just how the questions were worded?

For this forum, there's two problems: 1) inconvenient results for liberals 2) the conservatives here don't believe in facts unless reported by the correct media outlet
None of the poll is unexpected......... based on "theories" such as this:
Editorials | Politicians confront a cynical nation | Seattle Times Newspaper
QuoteQuote:
The discontent is not mainly about President Barack Obama, though it includes him. It is about the political class — its arrogance, its insularity and its assumption of the right to run things. "I can't begin to explain to you the depth of cynicism," Rasmussen said..............................."People don't trust government projections," Rasmussen said. "Eighty-one percent believe that whatever the government says, it will cost more."
Who is to say the people are wrong? If they believe this, they learned to believe it. The great task of politics is to convince them — and through deeds, not just talk — to unlearn it.
06-02-2010, 01:23 PM   #7
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm not much of a believer in polls....but will admit to using them when they favor my case....and deny them when they don't.......not much different than what I see everyone else doing, is it?

If I word it just right, I can get you to favor cutting up Granny with a band saw and serving her for dinner......
Regards!

06-02-2010, 02:13 PM   #8
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
I'm not much of a believer in polls....but will admit to using them when they favor my case....and deny them when they don't.......not much different than what I see everyone else doing, is it?

If I word it just right, I can get you to favor cutting up Granny with a band saw and serving her for dinner......
Regards!
Rupert, I've marked this day on my calendar. It's one of those oh so rare occasions that you post something I agree with.
06-02-2010, 07:08 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Rupert, I've marked this day on my calendar. It's one of those oh so rare occasions that you post something I agree with.
There is most likely much more we agree on, but this is not the proper place to display that agreement. LOL!
Best Regards
06-02-2010, 07:13 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
hey hey no one can agree with anyone here if we start doing that all the fun will go out of the place
06-02-2010, 08:03 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gokenin Quote
hey hey no one can agree with anyone here if we start doing that all the fun will go out of the place

Well, that is a concern...but not one we should be concerned with!