Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-09-2010, 03:28 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
I get a laugh from the shows where they take an old wreck laying in a yard somewhere with a tree growing up through it,
and by the end of the hour it's a show winner. Sure, you can restore anything with unlimited labor and budget.

Chris
Well, it kind of used to be that a lotof 'stuff no one wants' was still more or less holding together somewhere.

Now anything that's not sawdust or unrecoverable is getting to be, well, no newer than it was when it was made twenty or thirty years ago, at latest.

06-09-2010, 06:32 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I get a laugh from the shows where they take an old wreck laying in a yard somewhere with a tree growing up through it,
and by the end of the hour it's a show winner. Sure, you can restore anything with unlimited labor and budget.

Chris
I know, right!? If I had an unlimited bank account and sponsors sending me parts out the rear, my car would be finished by now too. I pulled mine from a collapsing barn about 5 years ago and am nowhere near completion.

But, I did manage to get it into Popular Hotrodding Magazine, if that counts for anything.
06-10-2010, 05:51 AM   #33
graphicgr8s

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Well there ya go! It must be good.
I like the system. Use to use Rally paste wax as a teen. But it wasn't available when I moved here. So I use Megs.
06-10-2010, 12:57 PM   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I always used Rally too. It doesn't last as long as harder waxes but it is by far the easiest to apply and buff off by hand.
Now that I am older waxing my car is no longer a priority. I might get it washed this year, though...

Chris

06-10-2010, 12:59 PM   #35
graphicgr8s

I always used Rally too. It doesn't last as long as harder waxes but it is by far the easiest to apply and buff off by hand.
Now that I am older waxing my car is no longer a priority. I might get it washed this year, though...

Chris
I live down a limerock road. I wash it then go down the road and all is lost. But I still do it.
06-29-2010, 11:02 AM   #36
Veteran Member

When i get some time I'll start getting into detailing my cars a bit more.
But with a dirt driveway at the moment ... it doesn't helps trying to keep cars clean.

For normal consumer grade stuff Meguiar's and Mother's is OK stuff.

But seeing the results from guys that detail a fair bit on the automotive forums I frequent .... the main stuff I see that really performs is P21s and Zaino products. Pricey ... but if you prep the paint and clean it properly with the correct system ... your final finish on the vehicle with be so much better then just chucking a wax on it.

Unfrtunately I am nowhere near that level ... and probably not for a long time. But i do appreciate a well detailed vehicle and what is involved.
06-29-2010, 11:10 AM   #37

Hoooooo boy I could talk about detailing all day long.

Some of the OTC Meguiar's stuff isn't half bad. A lot of their "Professional" line stuff is actually really nice stuff and priced well.

As others in the thread have mentioned, sealants are real popular. Blackfire Wet Diamond seems to be really popular now. (I have some, haven't tried it yet) and as always Zaino is a favorite for a lot of folks.

I also agree with claying the car as per everyone else. I just worked on a mid 90's Supra this weekend. I washed it, clayed it, did a 1 step polish and sealed it with Zaino All-In-One.

Came out real well. I didn't do any interior work on it though.

06-29-2010, 11:23 AM   #38
Veteran Member

I remember reading a detailing thread from a guy in the UK that started with a new car ... and went crazy. I can't remember the product he used ... but the system with the wax/sealant he used had 50-odd layers applied by a couple of layers each day for 2-3 weeks .... now that is way over the top.
06-29-2010, 11:49 AM   #39
graphicgr8s

QuoteOriginally posted by Mechan1k Quote
I remember reading a detailing thread from a guy in the UK that started with a new car ... and went crazy. I can't remember the product he used ... but the system with the wax/sealant he used had 50-odd layers applied by a couple of layers each day for 2-3 weeks .... now that is way over the top.
But doesn't the next coat of wax mix with the previous coat to become just one coat? You're waxing wax. So is it over the top or a waste of time and energy.

Last night, for the first time I actually wet sanded a polyurethane finish on a library I am building. Got up to 600 then rubbing compound, then polishing. Then applied some Meg's to it. Now that's glossy. Oh yeah. The poly was gloss also. Wouldn't work with the flattening agents in satin or semigloss.
06-29-2010, 12:45 PM   #40
Veteran Member

God knws how it works .... I'll try and dig up the URL for that thread I mentioned ... talk about Obsessive Compulsive/completely nuts I say.

Found it

VxrMarcs 3 month Nurburgring Detail... - Detailing World
06-29-2010, 12:53 PM   #41

QuoteOriginally posted by graphicgr8s Quote
But doesn't the next coat of wax mix with the previous coat to become just one coat? You're waxing wax. So is it over the top or a waste of time and energy.
Some products (mostly sealants) can be layered. So no, it does't just become one coat. Though you get diminishing returns after about a half dozen IMHO.
06-29-2010, 02:03 PM   #42
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yeah, some things will let you build up somewhat. I think with regular wax that you hit diminishing returns after two coats of whatever I was using for the last step. Whether they combine or not, you'd get a thicker coating of it, but beyond that, I didn't think it made any difference.
07-01-2010, 06:07 AM   #43
graphicgr8s

QuoteOriginally posted by Mechan1k Quote
God knws how it works .... I'll try and dig up the URL for that thread I mentioned ... talk about Obsessive Compulsive/completely nuts I say.

Found it

VxrMarcs 3 month Nurburgring Detail... - Detailing World
Especially any one who really cared about a vehicle would never use a machine buffer. It MUST be all done by hand for perfection.
07-01-2010, 07:38 AM   #44
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by graphicgr8s Quote
Especially any one who really cared about a vehicle would never use a machine buffer. It MUST be all done by hand for perfection.
Pretty much have to agree, there. Then again, I usually prefer to avoid power tools if it's at all sensible, and kind of the point of liking to polish things is to do it by hand, anyway.

I had a slightly-different opinion on powered buffers when I had my big ol' F-150: that was a lot of surface area that was never exactly going to be pristine. Actually, when I bought that truck, I had thought the paint was a total write-off: I'd been going to get a little rust repair done, possibly replace the well-worked bed, and have an affordable respray done.

The chalky paint didn't last two weeks before the rubbing compound came out, anyway.
07-01-2010, 11:51 AM   #45
graphicgr8s

QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
Pretty much have to agree, there. Then again, I usually prefer to avoid power tools if it's at all sensible, and kind of the point of liking to polish things is to do it by hand, anyway.

I had a slightly-different opinion on powered buffers when I had my big ol' F-150: that was a lot of surface area that was never exactly going to be pristine. Actually, when I bought that truck, I had thought the paint was a total write-off: I'd been going to get a little rust repair done, possibly replace the well-worked bed, and have an affordable respray done.

The chalky paint didn't last two weeks before the rubbing compound came out, anyway.
Well I use to wax my Chevy Sportvan (yes, roof also) by hand.

Power tools? I am still trying to find the plug on these:

Last edited by graphicgr8s; 07-30-2010 at 06:13 AM.