Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-03-2010, 08:11 PM   #1
Veteran Member




Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Missouri
Posts: 400
What would you do in my shoes?

I have 2 camera bodies currently. My K-x and a Canon 1D.

The K-x is a nice camera...I have the kit lens and now a DA 70 to use with it.

The Canon 1D has a 70-300 lens...which is actually quite sharper than it should be for the price I see them selling for on ebay.

Anywho....

I posted my 1D and everything that I have for it on ebay because I wanted some cash and I REALLY can't afford to be buying lenses for both bodies. I sold the body for what I wanted a few days ago. The buyer paid me via paypal which was fine...but apparently ebay and paypal have changed their policy for sellers accepting money since I last used it. They want to hold my money for 21 days. This to me is just stupid. Why should I have to ship out an item to a buyer so they can fool with it for 21 days before I get my money? Should they break it in some way all they would have to do is claim that it was broken on arrival and then paypal would most likely give back their money and I would get a broken camera in return.

I tried to explain to the buyer that they would hold my money but if he would send the payment as a personal payment instead of an ebay goods payment it would clear sooner and I would be fine with that. He refused.

I really would like some extra cash but it doesn't seem like I am going to be able to get it by selling the Canon.

I was wondering if you guys think I should cash out and sell my Pentax gear instead? I know I can sell it all....but how much would I be looking at losing in what I have? I bought the K-x kit new for just over $500 and the DA 70 I got a steal on for around $400

06-03-2010, 08:19 PM   #2
Veteran Member




Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 1,553
How is selling your Pentax gear any different than selling your Canon gear?

Thank you
Russell
06-03-2010, 08:21 PM   #3
Veteran Member




Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Missouri
Posts: 400
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Russell-Evans Quote
How is selling your Pentax gear any different than selling your Canon gear?

Thank you
Russell
Because I can sell it here and not have to worry about paypal holding on to my money for almost a month.
06-04-2010, 04:23 AM   #4
Veteran Member




Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 1,553
QuoteOriginally posted by timstone Quote
Because I can sell it here and not have to worry about paypal holding on to my money for almost a month.
And you can't sell your Canon gear here, or craigslist, or ....

Thank you
Russell

06-04-2010, 07:43 AM   #5
Veteran Member
tvfd911's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: WI
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 354
Really? Is this just over a certain dollar value? I hadn't used ebay for selling in a while until I sold a lens last week for about $80 total. Funds went straight to paypal and have already been spent...
06-04-2010, 12:48 PM   #6
Veteran Member




Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 1,553
QuoteOriginally posted by tvfd911 Quote
Really? Is this just over a certain dollar value? I hadn't used ebay for selling in a while until I sold a lens last week for about $80 total. Funds went straight to paypal and have already been spent...
I think it has something to do with your past feedback on selling. If you don't have any, or very little, you don't get the money right away. I do believe though, that once the person on the receiving end posts a positive feedback, the money is released. Not really sure though, as I don't sell on ebay, just buy.

Thank you
Russell

Last edited by Russell-Evans; 06-05-2010 at 03:30 PM.
06-04-2010, 01:45 PM   #7
Veteran Member




Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Missouri
Posts: 400
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tvfd911 Quote
Really? Is this just over a certain dollar value? I hadn't used ebay for selling in a while until I sold a lens last week for about $80 total. Funds went straight to paypal and have already been spent...

I think it only happens when they choose the payment type as an ebay goods payment...but the seller refused to let me refund his money so he could send it as a personal payment which is cleared right away.

And yes Russel...I could sell my Canon equipment here....but I don't think anyone will pay what I have to get out of it.
06-04-2010, 07:30 PM   #8
Veteran Member
subeeds's Avatar

Join Date: May 2010
Location: Camden County, Ga.
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 333
That's something paypal started a few months ago. It applies to all selling venues, not just ebay. There were a lot of sellers everywhere just ripping people off in assorted ways. Besides, that way paypal gets to use your money for an extra 3 weeks. LOL!

06-04-2010, 08:14 PM   #9
Veteran Member




Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Missouri
Posts: 400
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by subeeds Quote
That's something paypal started a few months ago. It applies to all selling venues, not just ebay. There were a lot of sellers everywhere just ripping people off in assorted ways. Besides, that way paypal gets to use your money for an extra 3 weeks. LOL!

Ive sold a few items on this forum for several hundred dollars and never had them hold the money...
06-05-2010, 10:52 AM   #10
Inactive Account




Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Southeast MO
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 367
Yeah, eBay does that if you're below a certain feedback number. I guess it's to make sure you're not going to run with the money. They usually only hold it till the person has received the item and then release it.
06-05-2010, 11:15 PM   #11
Veteran Member




Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Missouri
Posts: 400
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Wildnsyko Quote
Yeah, eBay does that if you're below a certain feedback number. I guess it's to make sure you're not going to run with the money. They usually only hold it till the person has received the item and then release it.
That's what I read after I found that out, but if you check out the ebay community forums there are several people on there just from reading the first few pages of a thread pointed directly at paypal holding funds for 21 days....some of them say that even with a tracking number as proof of delivery and positive feedback that paypal still holds on to the money sometimes for the full 21 days....I just don't see it as being right...when you go into a store and purchase something they get their money right away...do they not?
06-06-2010, 12:35 AM   #12
Veteran Member




Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 1,553
QuoteOriginally posted by timstone Quote
.when you go into a store and purchase something they get their money right away...do they not?
Ever try to pay for something with an out of state check back when you didn't pay for everything with a credit card? It was a 10 or 15 day wait.

Thank you
Russell
06-06-2010, 06:28 AM   #13
Inactive Account




Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Southeast MO
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 367
QuoteOriginally posted by timstone Quote
That's what I read after I found that out, but if you check out the ebay community forums there are several people on there just from reading the first few pages of a thread pointed directly at paypal holding funds for 21 days....some of them say that even with a tracking number as proof of delivery and positive feedback that paypal still holds on to the money sometimes for the full 21 days....I just don't see it as being right...when you go into a store and purchase something they get their money right away...do they not?
This may help you.

https://www.paypal.com/row/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=xpt/Marketing/securitycenter/s...yments-outside

Instead going by what people in the community say which sometimes maybe misunderstood or wrong, I always go to the source for the right and correct answers.
06-06-2010, 06:46 AM   #14
Forum Member




Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Florida
Posts: 54
Just ship it

I would just ship it, especially if the buyer has good feedback. Once Paypal determines that the item has been delivered, they normally release the held funds after waiting three days for the buyer to complain. If the buyer posts + feedback for you, they normally release the funds right away.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
buyer, canon, cash, da, days, ebay, k-x, money, payment
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Nature Shoes on a Summer Day hockmasm Post Your Photos! 8 05-03-2010 10:54 AM
Araki with his LX + NB shoes jake.astig Pentax Film SLR Discussion 2 04-20-2010 08:34 PM
Black & White Shoes in the Fog casil403 Post Your Photos! 1 02-06-2010 10:48 PM
Shoes - Still Life jbevans Post Your Photos! 0 01-26-2009 01:41 PM
Skate Shoes pop4 Photo Critique 5 06-10-2008 06:02 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:03 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top