Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-07-2010, 06:06 AM   #1
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What a complete and total waste of money

Toronto is hosting the G20 and G8 summits shortly and the security estimate is now 1.1 Billion. That's just the security! The costs for the events, services etc will probably double that number and because this is a government operation, we'll never know the true cost. My bet is 50% more at least.

Plus they are going to gridlock Canada's largest city for a couple weeks.
Here's a map of the fence (in yellow):
Name:  450_g20_map.jpg
Views: 516
Size:  51.8 KB

Bay street is the heart of the Financial district (small version of Wall St.) and this is right down town.

What a total waste of money. Don't these jackasses know how to use the phone? How about a video conference? Maybe meet at the UN. It's mostly useless anyway, may as well use it for something else useless.

Here we all are tightening our belts and these guys spend OUR TAX DOLLARS on a crappy party that they pretend is going to solve problems between them.

In fact all the issues on the table will be resolved before the meetings so they can smile for the cameras and say they fixed how to put a round peg in a square hole or some other useless 'issue'.

Arrrrg I can think of a thousand better ways to spend a couple billion.

06-07-2010, 12:50 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Isn't government Wonderful??? They do So much for us and ask So little in return. Why NOT let all these fat asses have a nice party on the tax payer dime? After all, isn't that what we are here for? To provide funds for these little boondoggles?

How many people could $1,100,000,000 feed (just thought I'd put all the zeros in there to illustrate what a big number it really is) for a Lifetime?

06-07-2010, 01:06 PM   #3
Veteran Member

guess you're one of those..

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/politics-religion-etc/103654-g20-g8-spending.html

do you think that welfare is bad too?

the fence thats going up, you know who is getting paid? Joe Smith, from Hamilton.. and Carl Cox, from Ajax, guess what they are going to do with that "tax payer money", they are going to buy crap for themselves and their families...

yeah, what a total waste of taxpayer dollars, providing jobs for the locals.

and those places that are closing down, like the AGO and UofT, they are just afraid that in case of a riot someone might run in and ruin their fancy collections.. :/

no one is forcing them.
06-07-2010, 01:25 PM   #4
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Original Poster
Gooshin. You do have a point. Some money will land in the hands of service providers. But I'd hazard a guess that it will be off set a great deal by a lot of businesses that will be basically closed inside the security fence for the month. Would you go shopping at a store that required you to be basically strip searched for 4+ hours just to get inside the zone?

Doubt it. So I bet the benefits are a wash.

What has me confounded is they did the Olympics over a longer period, more people and a larger area for quite a bit less.

Last edited by Peter Zack; 06-07-2010 at 08:28 PM.
06-07-2010, 01:32 PM   #5
Veteran Member

99% of the time, the objects on my body are

phone
wallet with: 1 credit card, 1 drivers licence, 1 airmiles card... maybe a 20 bill
keys

you can strip search me all you want..

and its not the fence that scares me, its the rioters

if you're going to be outraged by anything, be outraged the by mass amount of idiocy that will ensue during the period.. probably from 17-23 year olds yelling "we want out of vietnam" at the top of their lungs.

sure, video conferencing can work, but there is something about coming together and speaking live.. in any line of work.

also, the area that is actually being fences off houses very little actual business, Richmond, Adilaide and College and Queen will remain open, so the party life wont stop, and thats where most of the interesting things/shops are..

wellington and front street are just business office complexes and a few hotels, boo hoo, they will be occupied by all the security personel anyway...

i really do think that people are making a big deal out of the whole thing
06-07-2010, 06:51 PM   #6
graphicgr8s

QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
Gooshin. You do have a point. Some money will land in the hands of service providers. But I'd hazard a guess that it will be off set a great deal by a lot of businesses that will be basically closed inside the security fence for the month. Would you go shopping at a store that required you to be basically strip searched for 4+ hours just to get inside the zone?

Doubt it. So I bet the benefits are a wash.

What has me confounded is they did the Olympics over a longer period, more people and a larger area for qyute a bit less.
Is the searcher 24, blonde, female, and really a bombshell? If so count me in. Count me in even if she's a brunette.
06-07-2010, 08:27 PM   #7
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Original Poster
Here she is George. What a honey too......

Name:  helen-thomas.jpg
Views: 449
Size:  16.9 KB

06-08-2010, 04:49 AM   #8
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
You beat me to it, Peter. I was going to post a picture of Hillary for him. :LOL:
06-08-2010, 05:49 AM   #9
graphicgr8s

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
You beat me to it, Peter. I was going to post a picture of Hillary for him. :LOL:
Peter's post was just mean. Yours is downright deplorable.

But again you fail to read. Here are the requirements again

QuoteQuote:
Is the searcher 24, blonde, female, and really a bombshell?
06-08-2010, 06:02 AM   #10
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Original Poster
George, you asked a question. IS the, not IF the... You have your answer and H T is looking for a job I hear. Apparently she can tell one ethnic group for another and knows where they should go.
06-08-2010, 09:01 AM   #11
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by graphicgr8s Quote
Peter's post was just mean. Yours is downright deplorable.

But again you fail to read. Here are the requirements again
Is the searcher 24, blonde, female, and really a bombshell?
I'm sorry, George. I misread the requirements. I read it as "bombed out shell, hence the Hillary suggestion.
06-08-2010, 09:05 AM   #12
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Original Poster
Yeah the OP is going no where so lets trash a few politicians and journalists.

Maybe they should have sent a billion$$ to the Gulf and used HT to plug the well.
06-08-2010, 09:11 AM   #13
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
George, you asked a question. IS the, not IF the... You have your answer and H T is looking for a job I hear. Apparently she can tell one ethnic group for another and knows where they should go.
I thought that thing looked familiar...

ugly

06-08-2010, 11:16 AM   #14
Veteran Member

its begun..

G20 ? Toronto 2010
06-08-2010, 11:32 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Gooshin your economics are flawed. If 1.1 billion plus likely that again was handed out in cash to the general population to encourage stimulas then great but it's going to a relatively small group of contractors.

By your definition governments should spend feverishly in order to generate more money, it doesn't work like that.

I find the cost deplorable and i don't care as i don't live in the city of Toronto. It's a mind boggling number that is just beyond anything any reasonable person would expect it to cost.