Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-09-2010, 05:50 PM   #1
Veteran Member

political correctness hits Canada

FOXNews.com - Canadian Youth Soccer League: Winning by More Than Five Counts as a Loss

I know its from Fox so some of you will immediately ignore it but man whatever happened to someone simply being able to win no matter the score?

06-09-2010, 08:36 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
As a dad with 3 kids on sports teams I'll say it is not good for a weak team to be constantly humilliated but the idea of throwing the game if the spread gets too high certainly isn't the way to teach good sportsmanship.
06-10-2010, 05:14 AM   #3
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

From my experiences and observations I think the best thing adults can do with respect to kid's sport is sit down, watch the games, and, most importantly, shut up! Kids will figure it all out if we let them.
06-10-2010, 05:54 AM   #4
graphicgr8s

Well at least they keep score.

06-10-2010, 07:29 AM   #5
Inactive Account

How about policies and rules that create more competitive teams rather than having teams that can get trashed by a huge goal differential. As much as any pro league has the worst record, or the best record, each game is competitive and the worst team can win at any time - even against the best team. Huge differential scores happen but are rare.

In my daughter's soccer league, there is an evaluation at the beginning of every season. Each player receives a score. They are then placed on a team and that team's cumulative score is roughly the same as all other teams. This season our first game we lost 12-0, the girls were mortified. Our second game we won 5-3, they were elated. Part of sport is creating an even playing field (pro sports all do it - salary caps, trade regulations, league approving/not approving trades, etc.) then letting the players try and outachieve the other team/player. Sometimes it's lopsided but that's part of life, learn from it and get em next time.....
06-10-2010, 08:10 AM   #6
graphicgr8s

QuoteOriginally posted by Leaf Fan Quote
How about policies and rules that create more competitive teams rather than having teams that can get trashed by a huge goal differential. As much as any pro league has the worst record, or the best record, each game is competitive and the worst team can win at any time - even against the best team. Huge differential scores happen but are rare.

In my daughter's soccer league, there is an evaluation at the beginning of every season. Each player receives a score. They are then placed on a team and that team's cumulative score is roughly the same as all other teams. This season our first game we lost 12-0, the girls were mortified. Our second game we won 5-3, they were elated. Part of sport is creating an even playing field (pro sports all do it - salary caps, trade regulations, league approving/not approving trades, etc.) then letting the players try and outachieve the other team/player. Sometimes it's lopsided but that's part of life, learn from it and get em next time.....
Without competition there is no betterment.

Just look at the generation that grew up without it.
06-10-2010, 08:12 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by graphicgr8s Quote
Without competition there is no betterment.

Just look at the generation that grew up without it.
Which generation are you talking about?

06-10-2010, 08:21 AM   #8
graphicgr8s

QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
Which generation are you talking about?
I guess it would be these GenXers.
06-10-2010, 08:22 AM   #9
Veteran Member

they just got tired of watching the Leafs lose.