Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-10-2010, 10:26 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
2010 Isle of Man TT

Just out of interest, is this event being televised in the US?

Anyone been following it?

There is no other track like this in the world. And the races? Well, they are simply insane. The track is some 37 miles long and the superbikes achieve close to 200mp/h in some sectors.

Hopefully the weather has cleared up, as rain & fog halted all races yesterday.

06-11-2010, 05:34 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It's usually on, but I havn't had time to look for it. You are right it's an absolutely fantastic race. Would love to watch up close one day...
06-11-2010, 06:45 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
No kidding. They are advertising on Australian TV 'Take your bike to the TT'. God, isn't that just a dream. Blokes are doing the 'Mad Sunday' in kilts! 130mp/h in a kilt!

I'll tell you what, the emotions are full on in this kind of racing. Micahel Dunlop has been so close to tears even securing second and third places. Maybe he has a lot to live upto though, both of his brothers are motorcycle racing legends and both have died at the bars of the bike. Well, Mr. Joey Dunlop is the 'King of the Mountain' with 26 TT wins.
06-11-2010, 07:03 AM   #4
Veteran Member

U.S. coverage of motorcycling is spotty at best. I much prefer the Eurosport or BBC coverage that I pick on the Internets.

I've watched some great documentaries of the Dunlops and the whole Irish roadracing scene. You can look into the racer's eyes and see that they're not like the rest of us.

The electric race is kind of cool too. Amazed that they are already lapping @ 100mph in just their second year. How long before they surpass petrol?

06-11-2010, 10:47 AM   #5
Veteran Member

There are many motorcycle dudes here.

It occurs to me that motorcycle dudes, of many kinds, are usually dudes I like.

Perhaps it's because being a motorcycle dude must mean you are brave, yet at least a little humble.

But, I was noticing this about the World Cup.

I don't know if it's being televised here, really. One of the little promises of making us go to this digital technology and taking broadcast technology out of the hands of many was that there would be additional layered content. But of course, even basic cable has been whittling that away after a token interval of providing a *little* extra content... Like some sports channels I'm sure some would appreciate more often.

*checking again* Yeah, they took away even the ESPN type channels, too, as well as my movie channel, almost everything but infomercials. And C-span, which I watch if I can scroll through the blank channels enough. *grumbling at greedy cable people.* Everyone bought new TV's and adapters and lost most affordable
public access to all visual broadcast airwaves for *this?*

Told you so.

That said, more than basic cable is stupid-expensive here anyway.

I guess one old truism has been made manifestly clear: The Revolution will not be televised.

Anyone here like ham radio? Shortwave radio? I was thinking about getting into that when my dear one and I finally settle down.

Last edited by Ratmagiclady; 06-11-2010 at 11:00 AM.
06-11-2010, 02:09 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Discovery network

TT 2010 on TV - The official Isle of Man TT website

I thought it was Versus as they do such great coverage of Rally and the Tour de France and California.
06-12-2010, 12:29 AM   #7
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
I've watched some great documentaries of the Dunlops and the whole Irish roadracing scene. You can look into the racer's eyes and see that they're not like the rest of us.

The electric race is kind of cool too. Amazed that they are already lapping @ 100mph in just their second year. How long before they surpass petrol?
Yeah, their eyes show that they are slightly bonkers, but their determination is absolutely incredible. Watching old videos of Joey Dunlop racing is really something amazing.

How long before they surpass petrol in power figures & lap times do you mean? A long time I would think. Even then, it will never have the same feel, sound & smell.

QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
Perhaps it's because being a motorcycle dude must mean you are brave, yet at least a little humble
This is one of the very reasons why I find motorsports so attractive. The drivers & riders are generally very humble and do it for the sheer thrill & love for the sport. Particularly with the Isle of Man, where most of the riders are your average Joe Blow with regular jobs and apply themselves to this race with pure passion. You only have to look at the bloke who is leading on the race tally. He is so soft spoken and somewhat of a gentleman, but on the bike he is a pure animal.

I must add, Rest in Peace riders Austrian Martin & New Zealander Paul Dobbs who were killed after accidents on the penultimate day of racing.

06-29-2010, 10:48 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Damn .... is it still on ... I think the main portions have already been televised on OneHD.
I hope I haven't missed it. Last years was damn good viewing.

The riders ... they have a few screws loose upstairs though ... holy hell ... the speeds they do through some of the sections on the Isle is just mental.
06-29-2010, 11:15 AM   #9
Banned

One of the greatest motorsports events in the world. I went to the Isle of Man a few years ago for work. A beautiful place, it was interesting to be rolling along at 50mph and a bike would pass you at 150, practicing for the race. I'd love to go back and be able to spend more time on that little gem. I'd also love to be able to watch the race.
06-29-2010, 06:05 PM   #10
Inactive Account

Original Poster
That would have been a great experience Vaughn.

I think it was over a couple of weeks ago? Ian Hutchinson could not be touched.