Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-11-2010, 02:45 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by graphicgr8s Quote
Actually there was a report that came out last year that had our reserves nationwide larger than Saudi. It was of course pulled within 2 weeks. I never got a chance to copy it. After all like a normal human being I never imagined it would be pulled.

Of course it included all oil reserves in the US

Remember that your chart above doesn't include any of the revised USGS reported reserves in 08

USGS Release: 3 to 4.3 Billion Barrels of Technically Recoverable Oil Assessed in North Dakota and Montana’s Bakken Formation—25 Times More Than 1995 Estimate— (4/10/2008 2:25:36 PM)

And the fact that the environmental wackos wont let us tap into it
This may help:
http://www.eia.doe.gov/emeu/international/reserves.html
note the "proved" part..........
QuoteQuote:
1 Proved reserves are estimated quantities that analysis of geologic and engineering data demonstrates with reasonable certainty are recoverable
under existing economic and operating conditions.
USGS Release: 3 to 4.3 Billion Barrels of Technically Recoverable Oil Assessed in North Dakota and Montana’s Bakken Formation—25 Times More Than 1995 Estimate— (4/10/2008 2:25:36 PM)
As to yours..........
QuoteQuote:
Technically Recoverable
What do you think that means?????
Unprofitable? More expensive than solar? You tell me.
seems that is left out in the
QuoteQuote:
Technically recoverable oil resources are those producible using currently available technology and industry practices.
Maybe all that oil is keeping the Yellowstone super volcano in check
Pretty picture:

You just have to look harder George............
http://www.heatingoil.com/blog/report-of-24-trillion-worth-of-us-oil-gas-res...r-scrutiny217/
http://www.heatingoil.com/articles/hydraulic-fracturing-hydrofracking-the-ri...technique1130/
QuoteQuote:
Hydraulic Fracturing (Hydrofracking): The Risks and Rewards of the Controversial Drilling Technique
HOW TO NUKE A WELL ,see embedded video... you may see why it may not be possible:
http://www.heatingoil.com/blog/us-won%E2%80%99t-nuke-oil-leak-but-this-video...he-soviets604/

Last edited by jeffkrol; 06-11-2010 at 03:10 PM.
06-11-2010, 02:46 PM   #32
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
There isn't a huge difference between the U.S and the Netherlands. Is oil used a lot there for heating and electricity generation?
Might be. Can't blame huge traveling distances there. That's one crowded country
06-11-2010, 02:48 PM   #33
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Supernaut Quote
How many km (or in your local units) do you drive per person in the US? I have hard to believe that you travel across your continent more often than we travel through europe.
I believe the average is about 15,00 miles per vehicle, per year.
06-11-2010, 02:50 PM   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Supernaut Quote
How many km (or in your local units) do you drive per person in the US? I have hard to believe that you travel across your continent more often than we travel through europe.

---------- Post added 06-11-2010 at 11:45 PM ----------

And my guess is that your cars are about twice as bad in fuel consumption.
well on average a typical American would travel roughly 21,726 Km per year of course some would travel more and some would travel less. Of course one advantage Europe has over the US is that the rail system there is much more effective than in the US so I would guess that Europeans travel less by car between countries than American travel between states on vacations.

06-11-2010, 02:50 PM   #35
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
I'm not looking for a solution, as I am not claiming there is a problem that needs one. I was merely pointing out that your assertion that no one makes us buy oil was inaccurate.
Ahhh..... Sorry I missed that. Even when people want to agree, differing perceptions can get in the way. We can try to have an influence on government, but I'm pretty much convinced that government - both parties and the whole bureaucracy - are in the pockets of huge corporations. No one has to agree, that's just what I think.

But in our personal lives, we can limit use of plastics, reduce gasoline consumption, and do other things to reduce our reliance on Saudi oil. If it is a moral issue or a personal issue, there are choices that can be made.

Just declaring that you are "tired" of how Saudi Arabia runs their own country is not much help other than grousing.

to graphicgr8s: Our reserves are greater than those of Saudi Arabia?

I haven't seen those reports, but please let us see them if you run across them again. We also import vast amounts from Canada, Mexico, South America, Africa, and yes, the Middle East. (OH! While I wrote this, a helpful map appeared above!) We may have reserves, but not produceable reserves at affordable prices (which is pretty much the issue with the gushing Gulf leak today -- very expensive oil would have been produced from that well).

We're a long way from being self-sufficient in oil. In fact, "Peak US Oil Production" is what led to one of the gas shocks in the 1970s. We ran our consumption past the point of production and had to import. As soon as OPEC recognized that, they had us over a barrel (so to speak) and let us know it with their embargo. It still burns me to see any US President holding hands with the corrupt "princes" of Saudi Arabia.
06-11-2010, 03:18 PM   #36
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gokenin Quote
well on average a typical American would travel roughly 21,726 Km per year of course some would travel more and some would travel less. Of course one advantage Europe has over the US is that the rail system there is much more effective than in the US so I would guess that Europeans travel less by car between countries than American travel between states on vacations.
Also, here it's rather common to have one car per household if not living really remote. Having gas prices of about 2-3 times yours motivates us Europeans utilizing other ways of travel.
06-11-2010, 03:46 PM   #37
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by yucatanPentax Quote
Ahhh.....I haven't seen those reports, but please let us see them if you run across them again.
QuoteQuote:
On Monday, a report released by a national contractor for state utilities claimed that the United States contains more than 2,000 trillion cubic feet (tcf) of natural gas and 229 billion barrels (bbl) of oil—as observed by The Energy Source blog at Forbes.com, that’s more than the average OPEC nation holds. Noting that a chunk of these reserves lie in areas barred from drilling, the report also found that leaving these reserves untouched would cost the US $2.36 trillion in lost GDP over the next twenty years............................................However, curiously omitted from the report’s publicity and the document itself are the types of oil sources included in the total reserve calculations. As previously explained on HeatingOil.com, proven liquid oil reserves are very different from “unconventional reserves,” a moniker assigned to oil that exists in non-liquid form, either mixed with sand and too thick to flow (tar sands) or embedded as a wax in solid rock (oil shale).

Unconventional oil is worth significantly less than its conventional counterparts due to the highly expensive extraction and refinement processes it requires to even reach a barrel. The steep costs (in money, energy, and in many cases, water) of turning unconventional oil into useful crude make it anything but a profitable bet for oil producers, so even if restrictions on unconventional oil extraction were lifted, it’s unclear whether anyone would be interested.

It should also be noted that report specifically incorporates “shale gas,” or gas trapped in shale bedrock, into its reserve numbers for natural gas. Recent advancements in drilling technology and techniques have made these previously unreachable reserves accessible. However, some of those advancements pose risks to the environment and the public that have yet to be rigorously studied. Most notably, the advanced method for extracting shale gas known as hydrofracking has been anecdotally linked to contamination of drinking water used by residents near drilling sites. The price of a filtration plant alone runs over $10 billion. Who would absorb this cost?
From that bastion of liberalism.........heatingoil.com.........
Report of $2.4 Trillion Worth of US Oil & Gas Reserves Deserves Closer Scrutiny | HeatingOil.com
Repost from my post above w/ quotes....

06-11-2010, 06:12 PM   #38
graphicgr8s

Jeff that chart is just a touch, not so that you'd really notice but a touch misleading. Our largest supplier of oil by individual country, not region, or "middle east" would be Canada. Second, again, by individual country, not by region ala "Middle East" would actually be a middle east country. Saudi Arabia. Our third largest supplier, again, by individual country, not by region ala "Middle East" would actually be Mehico.
Crude Oil and Total Petroleum Imports Top 15 Countries
06-11-2010, 06:58 PM   #39
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by graphicgr8s Quote
Ira, have you looked at the next "generation"? You think it's an improvement?

Actually, I have, and I do. Sad to say, in a way.

06-11-2010, 07:53 PM   #40
graphicgr8s

QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote

Actually, I have, and I do. Sad to say, in a way.

So have I. And yes, it's sad. But not the way you mean. Example? Glad you asked. Latest spelling bee for example. Protesters outside wanting them to change the spelling of words so they are spelled phonetically. Because spelling them now is too hard. Talk about dumbing down.
Closed Thread