Photos: Gallery
Go ahead; report it. I dare ya!

I triple-dog-dare ya.

06-14-2010, 07:21 AM   #32
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
George, You don't think sports is political? Soccer particularly has cause wars between countries.

Btw the sub heading for this forum says: Political, religious, or any other controversial or potentially-inflammatory topics may only be posted here. I think it fits well!

---------- Post added 06-14-2010 at 11:29 AM ----------

Mel, Don't you think even die hard soccer fans would love a few more penalty kicks? Imagine games that end at 6-5 instead of 1-0. Now that would be interesting.

Of course the ref's would need body guards if they blew a call and a PK resulted in the winning goal.

---------- Post added 06-14-2010 at 11:37 AM ----------

OMG, the Korean goalkeeper just jumped to grab a ball. He came down hard on his ass and was holding his back around the hip area. Rolling around on the ground like he was hit by a truck. They call the trainer out. He's rolling violently on the ground. The nearest player was a meter away during the play. The ref makes no call (there was no foul) and when the goalie hears this, he's suddenly cured, jumps up and starts arguing with the ref. Too F'ing funny.

If you've ever really hurt your back, you will lie perfectly still, not rolling around like you're having an epilepsy fit.

Mel Nice edit job, I hope the concussion didn't have any lasting effects.
06-14-2010, 07:57 AM   #33
graphicgr8s

QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
George, You don't think sports is political? Soccer particularly has cause wars between countries.

Btw the sub heading for this forum says: Political, religious, or any other controversial or potentially-inflammatory topics may only be posted here. I think it fits well!

---------- Post added 06-14-2010 at 11:29 AM ----------

Mel, Don't you think even die hard soccer fans would love a few more penalty kicks? Imagine games that end at 6-5 instead of 1-0. Now that would be interesting.

Of course the ref's would need body guards if they blew a call and a PK resulted in the winning goal.

---------- Post added 06-14-2010 at 11:37 AM ----------

OMG, the Korean goalkeeper just jumped to grab a ball. He came down hard on his ass and was holding his back around the hip area. Rolling around on the ground like he was hit by a truck. They call the trainer out. He's rolling violently on the ground. The nearest player was a meter away during the play. The ref makes no call (there was no foul) and when the goalie hears this, he's suddenly cured, jumps up and starts arguing with the ref. Too F'ing funny.

If you've ever really hurt your back, you will lie perfectly still, not rolling around like you're having an epilepsy fit.

Mel Nice edit job, I hope the concussion didn't have any lasting effects.
That's just a technicality. Everyone knows that this is the Politics and Religion forum. Sports is in GT. (Almost forgot my smiley face)
06-15-2010, 03:37 AM   #34
Veteran Member

Handball is the best ball sport to watch imo. Fast and no whining.

But I do watch the soccer cup sometimes I must admit.

06-15-2010, 05:57 AM   #35
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Original Poster
I gotta admit, I'm getting a bit hooked on having the games on. Don't watch it intently but I have a TV in the office where I edit. If the announcer raises his voice, I'll see what's going on.

Those booboozela's are annoying though. I wonder how many people will suffer hearing loss?
06-15-2010, 02:44 PM   #36
mel
Veteran Member

Yeah I'm getting quite sick of the trumpet thingies too. There's no crowd reactions. All you hear is this incessant dronings of a bazillion bees. It's like the matches are being played inside a giant bee hive.
06-15-2010, 03:02 PM   #37
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Pro Sports

Everybody is right on this one, after much thought and deliberation
have made the choice to limit my viewing to womens beach volleyball

06-15-2010, 03:50 PM   #38
graphicgr8s

I gotta admit, I'm getting a bit hooked on having the games on. Don't watch it intently but I have a TV in the office where I edit. If the announcer raises his voice, I'll see what's going on.

Those booboozela's are annoying though. I wonder how many people will suffer hearing loss?
Vuvuzela

---------- Post added 06-15-2010 at 05:51 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by billm Quote
everybody is right on this one, after much thought and deliberation
have made the choice to limit my viewing to topless womens beach volleyball
06-15-2010, 07:45 PM   #39
Veteran Member

The NK-Brazil game today was pretty thrilling, I thought.
06-15-2010, 08:25 PM   #40
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

An Aussie Rules Fan's viewpoint

I'm with you Peter, I find the game incredibly boring to watch. I have no doubt it is highly skilled, but then so is every ball game at that level.

I would make the goal a metre wider & half a metre higher....at least then you would get score lines of 4 - 6 or similar and the game would be interesting.

The diving is chronic. The one that still makes me laugh was at a previous World Cup when a player kicked the ball into someones ankle and the player on the receiving end fell to the ground holding his head.........and the ref sent the other guy off.....please!!

When you are in the land downunder one day, I'll take you to an Aussie Rules game....The Great Game.

Cheers
06-15-2010, 08:29 PM   #41
Pentaxian

I'm just having a little fun RML. No slur intended nor implied. Read Jim's response which is what I was going to say in my defense.

I do wish however, they would stop with the theatrics. it takes so much away from a sport that does require a tremendous amount of skill and stamina.

For me, it doesn't make the game exciting at all.

The injury drama is phony baloney...but even worse are those dreadful horns.
06-15-2010, 09:52 PM   #42
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by graphicgr8s Quote
Vuvuzela

---------- Post added 06-15-2010 at 05:51 PM ----------

Again I stand corrected. Don't know how I so badly misheard the name. Maybe it's the Tinnitus I've developed over the last week.

The Brazil game was pretty good though. Even with the racket.

What I like is the Eu games when you hear the crowds singing and chanting. That's cool.
06-16-2010, 02:33 AM   #43
Veteran Member

Again I stand corrected. Don't know how I so badly misheard the name. Maybe it's the Tinnitus I've developed over the last week.

The Brazil game was pretty good though. Even with the racket.

What I like is the Eu games when you hear the crowds singing and chanting. That's cool.
I agree...I am much more a fan of club/national chanting and singing, along with the dynamics of the crowd cheering than I am of a mindless droning note of kazoo like bugle. I have noticed in the last 2 days, the crowd noise has been mixed lower than before and you hear a quieter match on television....but that takes away from the sport. So I guess it's the lesser of two evils, a droning swarm of bees sound for 90 minutes or a muted crowd noise and that which takes away from the excitement of the game.

By the way, choosing to like or dislike the vuvuzelas has nothing to do with respecting culture or politics or anything like that, just seems to be an annoying mindless sound which replaces a dynamic crowd sound.

Jason
06-16-2010, 02:53 AM   #44
Veteran Member

Zack, you definitely are rarely watching football

Or a rugby field or a football field or maybe even a golf course, they would melt. What a bunch of pansy wimps.

I've tried to watch soccer/football whatever you call it and the swan dives, drive me nuts. Plus the lack of scoring. I mean today's match at half time. France vs Urg. 45 minutes of chasing the ball around and faking injuries. Each team managed 1 shot on goal in the first half. One frigging shot in 45 minutes!
World Cup isn't the tournament where you can expect exciting football. Most of games are extremely boring. If you want to watch exciting attacking football, watch English Premierleague, Spanish Primera, German Bundesliga... The best football isn't played by national teams. It's played by top clubs.

But the fake injury stuff drives me nuts. Mid way through the second half, The French #2 goes down with a look like he'd been shot in the nuts. The Urg player gets booted from the game!!! WTF??? #2 is running the sidelines at top speed in less than 30 seconds after having the medics play with his nuts for a minute. (It was his angle actually).
I don't defend injury faking, however remember that football players, unlike many american sports, players wear near zero protective equipment. Kick to an anckle is very painful, however medics spray it with anti-pain stuff and pain goes away quite quickly. Also football rules don't really help here. If player is in pain and temporary can't play, he can't be substituted temporarily. Therefore he has a choice either to leave his team to play 10 against 11, or simply fake a serious injury, games get stopped and during that time player usually gets OK to play.

Also, very often it only seems that nothing really has happened and player is faking injury. I will link some clips where really bad injuries had happened, however when you watch then in normal speed it seems first, that nothing really had happened.

Jibril Cisse breaks his leg:

Alan Smith leg is broken and ankle dislocated:

Henrik Larsson

There are many situations when ankles and legs are almost broken in situations where it seems that nothing has happened. And that's painful.

QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack:
I've seen hockey players get 16 stitches in the face and get back on the ice as fast as they get the last thread tied. Football players get blind sided and knocked silly and be out in the next series of plays.
I've seen many times when football players clash their heads in the air, they both fall on the ground in blood, medics stich their heads and they come back to the field as soon as medics finish their job. I am sure you will see this in this world cup.

This swan diving stuff ruins this game IMO. Why not penalize a team with one less player for 2 minutes for faking an injury?
Well, by diving and faking injury, player risks to be yellow-carder. Two yellow cards = red card = out for the rest of the game.
Why you're at it, widen the goal 50%, shorten the field and remove the goalie. That way that one shot in 45 minutes might have a chance of going in.
Hmm, why do you think that only high score can make the game exciting? The football game can end 0:0 and still can be very exciting. Much more exciting than some 140:110 game in NBA where they score in every attack...
06-16-2010, 03:37 AM   #45
Veteran Member

Well, I watched a whole 3 minute of this so far (Ivory Coast vs. Portugal). Two blatant dives was enough for me. Buy gets bumped out of the way, and goes down rolling. Second one get's a foot (which the kicker pulled btw when he realized he was going to miss the ball and kick the guy) in the arm, and goes down rolling, clutching HIS FACE!