Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-11-2010, 01:19 PM   #1
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I swear if you put soccer players in a hockey rink

Or a rugby field or a football field or maybe even a golf course, they would melt. What a bunch of pansy wimps.

I've tried to watch soccer/football whatever you call it and the swan dives, drive me nuts. Plus the lack of scoring. I mean today's match at half time. France vs Urg. 45 minutes of chasing the ball around and faking injuries. Each team managed 1 shot on goal in the first half. One frigging shot in 45 minutes!

But the fake injury stuff drives me nuts. Mid way through the second half, The French #2 goes down with a look like he'd been shot in the nuts. The Urg player gets booted from the game!!! WTF??? #2 is running the sidelines at top speed in less than 30 seconds after having the medics play with his nuts for a minute. (It was his angle actually).

I've seen hockey players get 16 stitches in the face and get back on the ice as fast as they get the last thread tied. Football players get blind sided and knocked silly and be out in the next series of plays.

This swan diving stuff ruins this game IMO. Why not penalize a team with one less player for 2 minutes for faking an injury? Why you're at it, widen the goal 50%, shorten the field and remove the goalie. That way that one shot in 45 minutes might have a chance of going in.

Snore.

Last edited by Peter Zack; 06-11-2010 at 04:34 PM.
06-11-2010, 01:36 PM   #2
graphicgr8s

QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
Or a rugby field or a football field or maybe even a golf course, they would melt. What a bunch of pansy wimps.

I've tried to watch soccer/football whatever you call it and the swan dives, drive me nuts. Plus the lack of scoring. I mean today's match at half time. France vs Urg. 45 minutes of chasing the ball around and faking injuries. Each team managed 1 shot on goal in the first half. One frigging shot in 45 minutes!

But the fake injury stuff drives me nuts. Mid way through the second half, The French #2 goes down with a look like he'd been shot in the nuts. The Urg player gets booted from the game!!! WTF??? #2 is running the sidelines at top speed in less than 30 seconds after having the medics play with his nuts for a minute. (It was his angle actually).

I've seen hockey players get 16 stitches in the face and get back on the ice as fast as they get the last thread tied. Football players get blind sided and knocked silly and be out in the next series of plays.

This swan diving stuff ruins this game IMO. Why not penalize a team with one less player for 2 minutes for faking an injury? Why you're at it, widen the goal 50% the field and remove the goalie, shorten. That way that one shot in 45 minutes might have a chance of going in.

Snore.
Isn't soccer a girl's game?
06-11-2010, 02:03 PM   #3
Ash
Community Manager

Players are taught techniques to dive (may as well call it dramatic diving school) - I wonder sometimes whether it form part of the entertainment for the viewer.

Refs are within the rules to penalise actors rolling around the field 'out of proportion' to the injury but I'm convinced they're too entertained and amused by the antics themselves to penalise them.
06-11-2010, 02:15 PM   #4
Pentaxian

As someone who's photographed soccer games, I think much of the micro-drama there may be cause it's darn hard for even officials to follow the action. What may to be an observer a 30 degree sweep may to a ref be more like a 160 or more. An dmore of that peripheral even compared to a photog on sidelines.

People can get away with a lot, if they've a mind to.

A little play-acting can signal to a ref a foul has been committed when bravely-bearing getting raked by someone's cleats means they are off on their merry way.

Frankly, the whole blessed thing is artificial anyway, why in the Gods' names call it 'sport' if it's based on *what you can get away with* and no one even intends to be part of the town they are representing, etc, etc.

Goes for all sports.

Who cares, at this point.

It's like music.

Too much money gets involved, it's dead before it knows it. Period.

Go, Madison Mallards!

---------- Post added 06-11-2010 at 05:29 PM ----------

Also, btw, if we could lose the homophobic slurs, I assure you from experience that vociferously-straight gentlemen do in fact find themselves vulnerable to getting raked down the shinbones even with my little old Fryes, never mind by professional athletes, I assure you.

One of the Mother's little equalizers. We all got shins and kneecaps, and those inclined to complain wear their genitals on the outside.

Which is to say, I don't care who you are or your standards of masculinity, but shinbones*can* be hurt quite effectively, without even any hollywood-looking stuff, anyway, thanks very much.

You may be surprised, though, how stuff that doesn't suit Hollywood senses of 'what macho people do' can actually *hurt.* A lot.

Frankly, maybe we're all better off that way. But there it is.

Lay on!

Last edited by Ratmagiclady; 06-11-2010 at 02:39 PM.
06-11-2010, 02:46 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote

Also, btw, if we could lose the homophobic slurs,
A pansy is a flower and a wimp is "a weak, ineffectual, timid person."; neither are gender specific. Where's the homophobia in that?
Just askin.

This post reflects the sentiment and/or opinion of Parallax and not that of PentaxForums.com, it's staff, or ownership; and quite possibly nobody else at all.
06-11-2010, 03:45 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by graphicgr8s Quote
Isn't soccer a girl's game?
It's the largest sport in the world.

I agree with the diving stuff. It ruins the sport.
06-11-2010, 04:32 PM   #7
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Original Poster
I'm just having a little fun RML. No slur intended nor implied. Read Jim's response which is what I was going to say in my defense.

I do wish however, they would stop with the theatrics. it takes so much away from a sport that does require a tremendous amount of skill and stamina.

For me, it doesn't make the game exciting at all.

Last edited by Peter Zack; 06-11-2010 at 05:00 PM.
06-11-2010, 05:32 PM   #8
Forum Member

QuoteQuote:
I've watched baseball games where one team wouldn't even manage to get a single man on base throughout nine innings. Oddly enough, no one seems to mind. They even call it a perfect game.
QuoteQuote:
I take it that you've never actually played soccer. It's a decisively unpleasant experience to have an opposing player cleat-first slam into your ankles. The French defender was lucky that this wouldn't sideline him for half a year. However, I can assure you that the pain he experienced in the moment of the hit was enough to make him wish he hadn't been born.
There's a reason why these kinds of attacks yield a straight red card. Soccer is not American football or rugby. Nobody wants to see the kind of injuries that are caused by such tackles.
QuoteQuote:
Yes, and these players pay for this with a significantly reduced life expectancy. You can only take that many hits to the head and suffer that many concussions before you turn into a vegetable.
Soccer's a game of flow, grace, athletics and skill and this is why it's the most popular game on earth. Its main objective is not to have human wrecking balls slam into each other.

06-11-2010, 06:01 PM   #9
graphicgr8s

So the question is how can a simple statement about a game turn into a LGBT thing?
06-11-2010, 08:00 PM   #10
Veteran Member

What a bunch of pansy wimps.

Snore.
Well Peter if you really want to watch a beat the tar out of each other with sticks sport , check out a college LaCrosse game .
Actually it is a shame the way some players go for the sympathy penalty but you can't condem the game .I've had the privillage to work with a group of Brazilians who play club soccer here (one of them had even made the Brazilian national team but his sponsor backed out). These guys work hard and play the game hard. It is fun to watch these guys play.
06-11-2010, 08:21 PM   #11
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Original Poster
Ah spoken like a true fan. good to have you join in vparseval

QuoteQuote:
I take it that you've never actually played soccer. It's a decisively unpleasant experience to have an opposing player cleat-first slam into your ankles. The French defender was lucky that this wouldn't sideline him for half a year. However, I can assure you that the pain he experienced in the moment of the hit was enough to make him wish he hadn't been born.
I'd say that last bit is somewhat exaggerated. Take a baseball at 90Mph to the hands and you'll swear all the way to the hospital. Have Lawrence Taylor put you on the deck and when you wake up, you will have lost a few hours. Take a puck to the side of your foot from a 100Mph slapshot and you won't be putting slippers on for 2 months. Cleats to the ankle might hurt a bit but not the same way.

Actually I have played the game. Quite a bit and to play, it's fun and at times quite tough. Even watching from the sidelines isn't bad. But it's not the greatest TV event sometimes because of the fake injuries. I'm not talking about when a guy actually does get kicked. It's the time when his opponent misses him by 30Cms and the guy goes down like he was shot. It happens too much at this level.

Back to your point, I played hockey up to the Jr level (that's semi pro and from Junior hockey you get to the AHL or the NHL) On the ice 6 days a week and in the off season played sports like soccer in house leagues to stay in shape. Concussions are part of sport, It happens in Hockey NA Football, Lacrosse, Boxing, Rugby and yes, Soccer. Why, heading the ball. There is solid evidence that a well hit ball that is headed in a 45-90 degree angle causes significant shaking between the skull and brain.

Don't discount one sport because the injury rate might be high over another. That's not the point of this discussion.

Actually what caused me to write the post was CBC (Our broadcaster) was discussing the fact that Rugby is a much bigger sport in South Africa. They were interviewing some Rugby players and one of them said "yeah football's OK but why do these guys pretend to be injured all the time? Seems childish"

It does and in my humble opinion, it diminishes the game a quite a bit.
06-11-2010, 11:38 PM   #12
Inactive Account

Or a rugby field or a football field or maybe even a golf course, they would melt.
I was going to say, hey, hockey players have helmets and padding, but you're right. Union and League player's don't, and they don't stop the damn game every ten seconds 'cause someone's trodden on their bootlace. (Getting bootlace trodden on in soccer game = getting kneecapped, for some reason.)

I can't stand watching professional soccer, because it's the most disjointed game around because of that. You get about three seconds of actual game-related player movement, followed by about five minutes of hypochondria and whining.

They may as well do away with the players, and replaced them with lawyers, who can argue properly. I'm actually surprised you don't have some guy in a suit, carrying a briefcase, shadowing each individual player on the pitch, to better put their case forward to the ref.
06-12-2010, 03:13 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Being a totally dismal, rainy day which ended my plans for any outdoor activities, I decided to switch on the USA/England soccer game. When I woke up, the game had ended in a tie........
06-12-2010, 08:52 PM   #14
Pentaxian

It seems to me that any game that you can't use your hands, except the gollie, lacks something. Is there any other sport you can not use your hands? Just wondering.
A
06-12-2010, 08:57 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Artesian Quote
It seems to me that any game that you can't use your hands, except the gollie, lacks something. Is there any other sport you can not use your hands? Just wondering.
A
bobbing for aples , kick the can , 3 legged race ?