06-15-2010, 07:57 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Pictures from the Gulf

???-??100??????????????????100? - aladding.com

06-16-2010, 02:40 AM   #2
Veteran Member

It's Sad

I wander when man will wake up and say hay what went wrong here was it worth all the money we made. It's bad enough we f---- up over seas now we screw up here. my dad use to say son ya can't take it with you. The good lord don't care what ya drive or that big monster house ya have or all that money in the bank. you came in naked and your leaving naked.
06-16-2010, 11:18 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by JACOBY Quote
I wander when man will wake up and say hay what went wrong here was it worth all the money we made. It's bad enough we f---- up over seas now we screw up here. my dad use to say son ya can't take it with you. The good lord don't care what ya drive or that big monster house ya have or all that money in the bank. you came in naked and your leaving naked.
Look around your home and catalog all the things that were made with oil and/or which were brought to you courtesy of oil. Get rid of all of them and you can spend the time in between coming into the world and leaving it in the exact same condition.....naked.

And homeless.

And unfed.
06-16-2010, 02:07 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Trying to think in absolutes and death when we need to be thinking about what constitutes *enough* ....and life, is what makes these messes.

If we knew the meaning of 'enough,' then oil would not have become such a problem.

It's not all-or-nothing, life, and it's not always a question of 'As much as possible' or 'nothing.'

You'd think people could grok that, by now.

Lady knows it ain't been working out so well.

What we may come and go with is one thing.

Doesn't mean what we make and do and waste.... ..doesn't get left behind for those who live on.

06-16-2010, 03:49 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Finally! Some pictures showing how bad it really is. The news stations here barely show anything. Just more of that loop feed of the underwater camera and then a couple shrimp boats skimming out the outer part of the oil. They make it look like it's not that bad.
06-16-2010, 05:00 PM   #6
Ira
Inactive Account

Don't get me started.

China executes people in positions of power who threaten the public health, and I wish we had that policy in the U.S. right now.

What BP did was criminal, and sorry for the Brits here, but if takes taking over the company and destroying those British pension funds, sorry--but BP still has to pay for this clean-up and the loss of livelihood.

Every dime of it, and not a dime less.
06-16-2010, 05:03 PM   #7
Ira
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
Look around your home and catalog all the things that were made with oil and/or which were brought to you courtesy of oil. Get rid of all of them and you can spend the time in between coming into the world and leaving it in the exact same condition.....naked.

And homeless.

And unfed.
As things are now, perhaps.

But when you dream of a better future where anything is possible, definitely not.

You have to look forward, not backward to the failed status quo.

06-16-2010, 05:52 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
As things are now, perhaps.

But when you dream of a better future where anything is possible, definitely not.

You have to look forward, not backward to the failed status quo.
One only needs to look at the standard/style of living prior to the introduction of petroleum and petroleum-derived products into our way of life. Do you thnk we could continue with only 2% of the population producing our food were it not for motorized farm implements? How about distributing the output? How much of global trade could be sustained if we have to back to the Age Of Sail? Want to go back to gravel roads and no air travel? Look around at the plastic products and garments made of synthetic fibers.

The simple fact is that modern society is totally dependant upon petroleum, and not merely as a fuel source.
06-16-2010, 06:32 PM   #9
Ira
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
One only needs to look at the standard/style of living prior to the introduction of petroleum and petroleum-derived products into our way of life. Do you thnk we could continue with only 2% of the population producing our food were it not for motorized farm implements? How about distributing the output? How much of global trade could be sustained if we have to back to the Age Of Sail? Want to go back to gravel roads and no air travel? Look around at the plastic products and garments made of synthetic fibers.

The simple fact is that modern society is totally dependant upon petroleum, and not merely as a fuel source.
The U.S. revolutionized agriculture production far before the advent of fossil fuel-using machinery. And the industrial revolution was fueled by the steam engine, running on coal or wood.

There isn't a tractor or piece of farm equipment today that couldn't operate quite nicely via solar, especially since major growing is mostly done outdoors anyway in favorable, sunny climates. Indoor greenhouse operations use passive solar.

There are thousands of alternatives for petroleum-based products that are better, more economical, and safer to use. But it hasn't happened not because we "need" petroleum.

It hasn't happened because we're lazy, complacent, and we've let ourselves believe the big lie that we DO need oil touching every aspect of our lives.

It's ridiculous, and kind of like the naysayers who said man would never fly.

Like I said, start thinking ahead, and not back.
06-16-2010, 06:35 PM   #10
Ira
Inactive Account

JFK said it best:

"Some people look at the world and say, 'Why?' "

"I look at the world and say, 'Why not?' "
06-17-2010, 06:23 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
What I think is strange is that we are blaming BP for this and it was American workers that caused the spill on a American platform. BP just owns the oil.
06-17-2010, 06:34 AM   #12
Veteran Member

All of us are, in part, to blame for supporting/continuing the use of fossil fuels.
06-17-2010, 07:45 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
What I think is strange is that we are blaming BP for this and it was American workers that caused the spill on a American platform. BP just owns the oil.
Between the inital explosion on the the rig, and another Halliburton/Brown Root
subsidiary doing improper electrical work on military installations in iraq
almost 40 people have died. When is enough, enough?
06-17-2010, 09:21 AM   #14
Ira
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Fl_Gulfer Quote
If you've read the news today, or the last several days, you've learned that it's quite obvious that BP took unlawful shortcuts that caused the disaster.

It wasn't American worker error. It was corporate BP criminal negligence.
06-17-2010, 09:49 AM   #15
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm moving this to P&R, just to be safe.