Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-16-2010, 10:02 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I could imagine why Paypal made such rules and I believe it is to safeguard buyers from potential scammers tha create new accounts everyday. this is the risk that honest sellers have to undergo and that is to earn enough reputation to have an automatic transaction. I guess the seller should earn enough merit to be able to do so. one of which is to upgrade his account. although there are still some lowlife that are able to take advantage of the system. one particular seller is known in this forum. so those are the type of people you should be wary of. I just hope in the near future that paypal would do something about habitual offenders and ban them from doing transactions on eBay. sad part is, honest buyers and sellers are also subject to unjust ruling such as losing all garnered positive feedbacks or suspended or banned accounts.

06-17-2010, 04:52 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I usually don't like confrontations and always give the benefit of the doubt to the other party, but in this case you were very astute and did the right thing at the right time...well done!
06-17-2010, 08:55 AM   #18
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Nubi Quote
Dude, I would report his ass, most definitely.
Shouldn't that be "Dude, I would report his ass, like totally"?
06-17-2010, 03:49 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Here's the "dude's" update that I just recieved.

QuoteQuote:
Hi Brian,

Shipped it out via two-day shipping at USPS. Should be there this Saturday. There's no tracking number, sadly, so I've included the Transaction Number:

23 903570414 4094738077

If you still don't believe me, I can send a photo of the receipt.

Let's end this PayPal dispute, too. Sorry about all the trouble.
I tried to search the transaction number at the usps website and it told me "There is no record of this item.". Either you can't search transaction numbers, or he didn't ship it.

Unless the reciept he has shows my address as the recipient, I don't see it as being valid proof.

I told him yesterday to provide me with proof of shipping and I would close the dispute. With 2-day shipping, he should have gotten a tracking number to go with it. I will end the dispute in 2 days...

Everytime I have ever sold something on eBay, I request a tracking number. If it costs extra for the tracking number, I cover the cost out of my pocket. I see it as insurance showing me that the package was delivered on time.

06-17-2010, 07:51 PM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by r0ckstarr Quote

I tried to search the transaction number at the usps website and it told me "There is no record of this item.". Either you can't search transaction numbers, or he didn't ship it.

Unless the reciept he has shows my address as the recipient, I don't see it as being valid proof.

I told him yesterday to provide me with proof of shipping and I would close the dispute. With 2-day shipping, he should have gotten a tracking number to go with it. I will end the dispute in 2 days...

Everytime I have ever sold something on eBay, I request a tracking number. If it costs extra for the tracking number, I cover the cost out of my pocket. I see it as insurance showing me that the package was delivered on time.

I guess both of you have to wait then. I believe both of you are a bit uneasy as of the moment. with regards to tracking, I'm not a 100% sure that USPS always provide such service all of the time unless the sender choose to pick the type of shipping which is the cheapest or doesn't cost him any additional cost.
06-17-2010, 08:12 PM   #21
Inactive Account

The only type of domestic postal packages that are Trackable, are EMS. Insurance numbers and delivery confirmation numbers can show when a package was shipped and when it is delivered. It may or may not show intermediate progress. That's IF they actually scan them. Some carriers will scan them delivered when they go out for delivery, hours before any actual delivery (I'll describe some day how I know this). In the case of International, the over 4 pound or priority customs tag numbers are trackable. First class mailings (non priority) are not trackable on international mailing (the customs tag number).

It's annoying, I'm sure, but another day or two isn't going to change anything. You have 45 days from the payment date to initiate a paypal claim. If you've already opened one, give the package time to arrive, and close the claim when you get the package. I Will say that were I in your seller's shoes, I would have paid the extra $ for a DC tracking number.

06-18-2010, 05:21 PM   #22
Inactive Account

For less than a dollar he could have added delivery confirmation. That protects all parties. I usually insist on it and will pay extra if the shipper starts demurring. I ALWAYS use it when I send a package.

The transaction number means nothing in terms of tracking. However, the receipt should actually show the address to whom it is sent. Not worth bothering to look at the receipt. Wait for the goods. Accept nothing less until the lens shows up in as described condition.

woof!

06-18-2010, 08:12 PM   #23
Veteran Member

I ship my stuff USPS first class with tracking every time I ship. It costs .70 to add the tracking. I believe you can also add it Priority mail, too. Glad to hear you filed a claim with PP. I would not even think about canceling the dispute until I had taken a few shots with the lens after it arrives.
06-19-2010, 04:14 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Well, today is the day that he says it is supposed to show up. It is also the day of the deadline that Paypal set on the claim. If the lens shows up and all is good, I will cancel the dispute and claim. If the lens doesn't show up, then the claim remains open. If, by chance, Paypal refunds my money, and then the lens happens to show up Monday, I will pay the guy what is owed. Guess we will see how it goes.
06-19-2010, 09:13 AM   #25
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Shouldn't that be "Dude, I would report his ass, like totally"?
HeadBanger
06-19-2010, 11:29 AM   #26
Veteran Member

hey wazzup ya'll?
06-19-2010, 11:57 AM   #27
Veteran Member

Original Poster
The "dude" called my phone again and left another voicemail. (I missed the call because I work in an environment where we cannot carry a cell phone into certain area's.) Again, he told me that he shipped the item and that it should be here either today or Monday and again asked me to drop the dispute.

---

I want to believe that he did ship the lens, but looking as how he didn't bother shipping it within the first week because he wanted to wait for the money to go through, and for the fact that I don't have it in my hands yet, I don't believe him.
06-19-2010, 12:06 PM   #28

Do not cancel the dispute until you receive and test the lens. My only advice to you in the future is to buy from sellers to sold to at least more then dozen people with feedback no less then 99%. Either way you don't lose. If you do not get the lens, you'll get the money. That's what's so great about Paypal.
06-19-2010, 12:07 PM   #29
Inactive Account

The "dude" called my phone again and left another voicemail. (I missed the call because I work in an environment where we cannot carry a cell phone into certain area's.) Again, he told me that he shipped the item and that it should be here either today or Monday and again asked me to drop the dispute.

---

I want to believe that he did ship the lens, but looking as how he didn't bother shipping it within the first week because he wanted to wait for the money to go through, and for the fact that I don't have it in my hands yet, I don't believe him.
Keep your claim alive and follow the steps you previously outlined. If it shows up drop the claim (or pay the man). If not, let the claim chips fall where they may.

06-19-2010, 12:08 PM   #30
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Alex00 Quote
Do not cancel the dispute until you receive and test the lens. My only advice to you in the future is to buy from sellers to sold to at least more then dozen people with feedback no less then 99%. Either way you don't lose. If you do not get the lens, you'll get the money. That's what's so great about Paypal.
Thanks. Yep, I usually don't go for sellers with such low feedback, but decided to give the guy a chance. Lesson learned there. Either way, the dispute will not be cancelled until I have the lens in my hands. And, if by chance Paypal refunds my money before the lens gets here, I will go back and send him the money once I have the lens.