Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-18-2010, 02:39 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Inside the mind of the anonymous online poster

Pretty fascinating article:

Inside the mind of the anonymous online poster - The Boston Globe

Really long so I won't quote the whole thing here, but I recommend we all read it, as it's directly about us.

06-18-2010, 02:46 PM   #2
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I read most of it. It was interesting.
I'm sure glad we never have anything like that here!
06-18-2010, 02:58 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by parallax Quote
i read most of it. It was interesting.
I'm sure glad we never have anything like that here!
:d :d :d :d :d
06-18-2010, 03:24 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Neat article.
I used to be a mod on a jewelry making forum and every now and then a troll would get past us and start slamming people's online stores and their work and stuff. I've believed for a long time that being able to hide behind "anonymous" lets people feel that they have the right to bully others and just throw good manners out the window.

06-18-2010, 03:59 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It's useful stuff to read about: the only problem is it seems to argue a bit *too* much against anonymity, which basically has a chilling effect on anyone not of a favored or aggressive class: typical redneck can bully under his own name, without much fear, cause hyperbole aside, most of the people bullies target won't ever take action against them: people who, for instance, speak up as LBGT, or non-Christian, are in enough fear of our lives and homes and families on a daily basis as it is.

You can see how celebrities and politicians will openly use slurs and inflammatory remarks in national media without fear... At most a slap on the wrist while denying wrongdoing, even if theyve said, 'God wants you dead.'

Do you think putting your real name and address online is going to induce people in fragile situations to speak up when the slurs are flying? Frankly, it'd exacerbate the bullying.

Bullies bully because they *think* they have a crowd behind them.

Whether that's true or not.

When I finally came out *here,* I also had to remove mention of what town I was in. Cause all this stuff some say casually gets *far* scarier when you aren't, say, some white dude who can afford lawyers and get taken seriously if someone takes it RL.

While it's true that ideally everyone could stand by what they say as real people, the fact is that I live in a world where if people aren't calling me an abomination for living in a kind of humdrum but LBGT home life, some of em will insist that I should be burned at the stake for how I pray.

Some can afford complacency. But then again, they can also speak up on the streets or in the churches, and say whatever they want too, with little more than protestations of their 'crocodile fears.' To them, and to man who don't know what harsh stuff *is,* though, it's all rhetorical and abstract.

As I try to mention.

Yes, there are *anonymous haters* as well, more than a many of them. And they do screw up the Web just like they screwed up Usenet.

When I speak under my own name it'll be when I'm someone who either has nothing to lose or ....Some protection against losing everything.

Frankly, when I speak as a human being in a real community, the Net isn't the first place I go. Trust of this kind can't be forced. One can only speak. And if the words don't do anything, throwing my life on this fire won't help.

In short, the problem isn't so much that the Net is impersonal....

But maybe our politics is. What's supposed to be at stake in all this... Maybe *that's* what's too dehumanized.

Last edited by Ratmagiclady; 06-18-2010 at 04:24 PM.
06-18-2010, 04:19 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
It's useful stuff to read about: the only problem is it seems to argue a bit *too* much against anonymity, which basically has a chilling effect on anyone not of a favored or aggressive class: typical redneck can bully under his own name, without much fear.
Miss Rat , I'm offended by this Redneck bashing Southern Man Phobia.
06-18-2010, 05:40 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Boy, that didn't take long.

06-19-2010, 03:00 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
speak up as LBGT, or non-Christian, are in enough fear of our lives and homes and families on a daily basis as it is.
Really? not having a go at you, but I find that strange that if someone is not Hetro or Christian they are in daily fear for their lives???

Maybe ostracised by certain groups if in a small country town (I could imagine that here) but fear for your life sounds living in a theocracy or under fascism..

Last edited by joele; 06-19-2010 at 08:01 AM.
06-19-2010, 03:19 PM   #9
Veteran Member

C'mon now, it wouldn't be Rat if it wasn't grossly over-exagerated.
06-19-2010, 10:16 PM   #10
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by joele Quote
Maybe ostracised by certain groups if in a small country town (I could imagine that here) but fear for your life sounds living in a theocracy or under fascism..
Mate, she's in the US.
06-20-2010, 12:00 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lithos Quote
Mate, she's in the US.
Ahh theocracy then?