Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-18-2010, 04:31 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Who has or had GEICO?

Were you drawn in by an incredibly attractive initial price and then found your premium jumped up by insanely large percentage when you went to renew? Or were your rates pretty steady and reliable from year to year (or 1/2 year to 1/2 year, as they say NY only allows them to write 6 month policies)

Here's my concern. The Geico quote came in over $3000 less than what I pay for my current insurance, $5600. Fantastic if it stays that way. But I'd prefer to not even start with them if they have a history of low-balling people the 1st policy period, then banging it to them on renewals and doubling or tripling rates. ...or having a history of not paying claims.

Is my concern unwarranted? Hoping so. Lemme know if you have experience with them.

I own 4 vehicles, and am paying $5600 a year for insurance. I'm always fighting w/my underwriter to get it lowered. My policy it about to renew, and by removing a bunch of "extras" I was able to get it down to ... $4700. oh boy.

The reason the Geico quote is so much lower is I'm charged the two Liabilities, PIP, & Uninsured Motorist (the 4 that are mandatory in NYS) only once per policy, instead of once per vehicle like I am with Hanover or what Progressive quoted me.

I want to mention also, I now work from home and rarely drive to the office. I drive perhaps 5,000 miles a year across all my vehicles. And my wife lives in our NYC apartment the days she has to work (either 4 or 3 days a week), and I usually drive her otherwise if we go to places together. She drives only about 1000 miles a year. So paying $5600 for cars we don't drive is insane. But I've been paying it for years, and it has to end.

So to conclude, is Geico's policy rate going to stay pretty stable on renewal? How 'bout if they have to pay out? Any good?

Much thanx for any informed replies...

06-18-2010, 05:19 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
My husbands truck recently died, but up until then, we have had at least 2 vehicles insured with them for 12 years-including our son when he was a teenager. When we had him on there, our rate was about 1600 a year for full coverage and a 500 deductible. After he flew the nest, it dropped to around 1000 a year for both of us and two vehicles. I'm not sure what it is down to now since his truck hasn't been replaced yet. Other than once, about 5 years ago, they have not raised our rates. Even then, it only went up about 35 a year, so I guess they were adjusting for inflation. LOL! Overall, I'm happy with them. Just remembered, one of the reasons we got a break on the rate is the multi car discount, so maybe that will help you, too.
Edited to add: My son had a claim and Geico dealt with it promptly and paid the repair place promptly, too. Also checked with us about 10 days after we got the car back to be sure everything had been fixed.
06-19-2010, 09:15 AM   #3
Site Supporter

I have had Geico for a long time. They have been pretty good about being stable and generally lower rates over time. Their multiple vehicle discounts are very good. I also live in one of the highest insurance areas in N.A.
06-19-2010, 10:21 AM   #4
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

I have been with them for years. The only rate variations I have ever had is due to change of vehicles.

06-19-2010, 10:44 AM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by m8o Quote

So paying $5600 for cars we don't drive is insane. But I've been paying it for years, and it has to end.
Sell at least 2 cars.
06-19-2010, 11:17 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Had them for several years. After an accident that was not my fault where they refused to get the deductible back and then raised my rate without a notice, i dumped them and went to esurance. got a lower rate and better service
06-19-2010, 10:13 PM   #7
m8o
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
Sell at least 2 cars.
Upon reading this post on my phone -- where I'm zoomed in and the left margin showing profiles and poster's name is off the screen -- I had to scroll over to the profile box to make sure my wife hadn't subscribed to the forum so that she could post this. ...simple answer is, I don't want to.

06-20-2010, 05:30 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by m8o Quote
Upon reading this post on my phone -- where I'm zoomed in and the left margin showing profiles and poster's name is off the screen -- I had to scroll over to the profile box to make sure my wife hadn't subscribed to the forum so that she could post this. ...simple answer is, I don't want to.
Do you have any cars that are "seasonal"....being primarily for summer/winter use and which you let sit in the opposite season? If so, you might consider asking about dropping the insurance on them for the period they will see no use. Can't hurt to ask.
06-20-2010, 07:49 AM   #9
m8o
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
Do you have any cars that are "seasonal"....being primarily for summer/winter use and which you let sit in the opposite season? If so, you might consider asking about dropping the insurance on them for the period they will see no use. Can't hurt to ask.
Yep, one of my cars is a 1988 Mercedes Benz 560SL. I've definitely explored that avenue. Unfortunately here in the US, or perhaps just here in the state of NY, if you don't carry insurance on a car you have to surrender the license plates & registration to the Division of Motor Vehicles. Then when you want to put it back on the road re-register, and incur all taxes/expense therein, let alone a [ahem] lovely few hours spent on line and waiting @ the DMV.
06-20-2010, 08:12 AM   #10

I had my insurance with Geico for several years when I had my car. Rate was pretty steady and slowly dropping throughout the period. Did not have experience with making claims though.
06-20-2010, 09:13 AM   #11
Site Supporter

Some states will let you do that, some will not. Cali wouldn't let me do it. I don't do it in Florida because of the license plate. I bet NY is a bigger PITA than (Ca + Fl) x 2
06-22-2010, 10:14 PM   #12
Veteran Member

My car and cycle were insured by GEICO in 1976-79, no problems then. Got married in 1979, lost the bike, bought a house, and it's been AAA insurance on house and vehicles ever since then. No painful rate hikes. And all those free maps...

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
Some states will let you do that, some will not. Cali wouldn't let me do it.
We've had multiple vehicles (all registered in California) since the early 80's, and small RVs from 1996-2008. For vehicles we don't use regularly, like the RV in off-season or a backup SUV now, we drop all coverage except except basic comprehensive, just enough to stay legal. That costs something like US$450/yr. Regaining full coverage just takes a phone call to the local AAA office. And some money, of course.

It was also possible to declare a vehicle not-roadable, pay minimal registration fee and drop the insurance. We did that with the last RV for a year before we sold it. Getting it totally legal for the road again was a slight pain, standing in line at the DMV. But it was a lot cheaper than licensing and insuring something we didn't use.
06-22-2010, 10:27 PM   #13
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
My car and cycle were insured by GEICO in 1976-79, no problems then. Got married in 1979, lost the bike, bought a house, and it's been AAA insurance on house and vehicles ever since then. No painful rate hikes. And all those free maps...

We've had multiple vehicles (all registered in California) since the early 80's, and small RVs from 1996-2008. For vehicles we don't use regularly, like the RV in off-season or a backup SUV now, we drop all coverage except except basic comprehensive, just enough to stay legal. That costs something like US$450/yr. Regaining full coverage just takes a phone call to the local AAA office. And some money, of course.

It was also possible to declare a vehicle not-roadable, pay minimal registration fee and drop the insurance. We did that with the last RV for a year before we sold it. Getting it totally legal for the road again was a slight pain, standing in line at the DMV. But it was a lot cheaper than licensing and insuring something we didn't use.
When I lived in SoCal, they wouldn't let us do that. In Florida, the problem stems from the fact that we have to turn the license plate in and sign and affidavit that said vehicle will not be driven on the road. If you don't, there is a high probability that the computer will write a letter to the Highway Patrol and have your DL revoked.

Edit: AAA works differently in California than most other states regarding insurance.
06-23-2010, 01:01 PM   #14
Inactive Account

A good place to look would be your state's commissioner of insurance (Automobile Insurance Information For Consumers).

I have had geico for a while and it is very reasonable and the rates have been fairly steady. You can also get a discount if you own stock in berkshire hathaway.