Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-27-2010, 04:14 PM   #16
Inactive Account

'Let's see some hard facts..... no, having a joint in your pocket does not a drug mule make. Actually last time I looked into this most marijuana is grown in the US and Canada and run by Mexican and Asian cartels.. Then there's that big bunch in Kentucy ect. that replaced moonshine w/ pot.... good old boys.
No stats on harder stuff though.......
'

A little easy for most thinking will put hemp way down on the value/denisty scale of drugs to 'mule' in across the border. Some time back it was more profitable to bring in tanks of illegal freon from Mexico than bales of hemp. Of course there are a good number of other illegal drugs that make a drug run far more profitable. Columbia is a good source for these. In spite of the home grown harvest, tons of hemp from Mexico is confiscated on a regular basis.

A fact based Brazilian film worth taking a look at is Maria full of Grace. It is highly rated and covers the use of young female drug mules flying into Miami from So America with GI tracts full of condoms loaded with cocaine.

Maria Full of Grace Movie Reviews, Pictures - Rotten Tomatoes

Lets not loose the facts on our really shippy souther border security and the friends of the illegal/drug industry that want it to remain a screwed up mess.

06-27-2010, 05:39 PM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
I consider myself to be a moderate liberal. In the last few years, though, I've seen my husband who used to be in the home building business, lose job bid after job bid to people who use legal and illegal immigrants. They can under bid him by so much. It makes me a little less moderate about some issues like this one.
Shhh... You can't use things like actual experience when you talk to this lot around here. They won't accept actual experience. They work purely on feelings and inclusiveness... You'll get them all uppity and calling you a racist and a bigot before you know it.
06-27-2010, 06:14 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by GingeM Quote
Shhh... You can't use things like actual experience when you talk to this lot around here. They won't accept actual experience. They work purely on feelings and inclusiveness... You'll get them all uppity and calling you a racist and a bigot before you know it.
To use a Republican mantra... PEOPLE should just stop using them. Why have gov. involved. If nobody would hire the cheap b@stards then.. poof.. problem solved.
Hypocrisy is endemic to america........
Maybe if all the CLIENTS refused to hire a business using illegals, like maybe ask to see the workers green cards ect. we wouldn't need big bad gov. intervention.....
06-27-2010, 06:26 PM   #19
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It's not like they are going to sell it any cheaper.
Who are you going to blame when it falls apart?
Trade unions back their work. They also train them to know what they're doing.
At least the ones I know.

06-27-2010, 06:31 PM   #20
graphicgr8s

QuoteOriginally posted by shooz Quote
It's not like they are going to sell it any cheaper.
Who are you going to blame when it falls apart?
Trade unions back their work. They also train them to know what they're doing.
At least the ones I know.
Unless of course it's the UAW. Look at the garbage they make.
06-27-2010, 06:37 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Spin doctor McCain

QuoteQuote:
McCain disagrees with AZ gov's drug 'mule' comment

(AP) – 7 hours ago

PHOENIX — U.S. Sen. John McCain says he disagrees with Arizona Gov. Jan Brewer's statements that most people crossing the U.S. southern border illegally are smuggling drugs, but he thinks she is doing a good job of standing up for her state.

Brewer has said the motivation of "a lot" of the illegal immigrants is to enter the United States to look for work, but that drug rings press them into duty as drug "mules." Her office later said most human smuggling into Arizona is under the direction of drug cartels, which "are by definition smuggling drugs."

The Arizona Republican senator told NBC's "Meet the Press" on Sunday that he thinks the governor is correct in saying that cartel movement has increased, and that the state deserves better security than what it's getting from the federal government.
The Associated Press: McCain disagrees with AZ gov's drug 'mule' comment
06-27-2010, 06:46 PM   #22
Pentaxian

According to the JD Power survey, it seems the US car market (i.e. UAW) has made dramatic improvements in initial quality. Here is the 2010 result:

Attached Images

06-27-2010, 06:51 PM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
According to the JD Power survey, it seems the US car market (i.e. UAW) has made dramatic improvements in initial quality. Here is the 2010 result:
They had better be turning out better quality - they cost $5,000/unit more than everyone else's vehicle... You know, to pay for those who aren't working...
06-27-2010, 06:57 PM   #24
Inactive Account

I'll easily accept Brewer's exaggeration far easier than I accept Obama's thumb up the ass response to the border problem.
06-27-2010, 07:02 PM   #25
Pentaxian

They had better be turning out better quality - they cost $5,000/unit more than everyone else's vehicle... You know, to pay for those who aren't working...
Where are you getting your information?
Attached Images

06-27-2010, 07:29 PM   #26
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Heritage Foundation?
06-28-2010, 04:35 AM   #27
Veteran Member

You people really don't get it do you???

In order to sell any cars the "Big Three" need to price their offerings around the same price point as the competition. Because their costs are higher they make less profit which means they have less margin for error so when the economy tanks they go bankrupt... Or did you lot miss the last couple of years swooning over Him?
06-28-2010, 09:20 AM   #28
Pentaxian

A large protion of the cost differential is related to health costs. While that cost is spread out among the general population in other countries, that's a direct cost for the auto makers as well as other manufacturing companies. As long as health care is primarily employer based, our manufacturing concerns have a built in disadvantage.
06-28-2010, 09:37 AM   #29
Veteran Member

I'm new here and don't have the bias towards some of these posters that you appear to have. I think you are wrong when you say that they won't except actual experience.I believe they will. I seriously doubt that I will ever give any reason a reason to call me a racist or a bigot. I'm half Cheyenne and have been on the receiving end of both of those ugly words.
06-28-2010, 10:01 AM   #30
Veteran Member

This sort of thing is a time-honored tactic to keep labor cheap and compliant: demonize an entire group through pointing to a sub-set, and punish the lowly. This way the workers are too afraid to make waves, and thankful to get any minimal pay.

QuoteQuote:
Academic studies estimate that unscrupulous employers in New York City keep an extra billion dollars a year by defying New York State’s weak labor law and cheating timorous and ill-informed immigrant workers.

Ms. Toribio was both when she arrived from the Dominican Republic 10 years ago. But she evolved into a word-of-mouth investigator and organizer for the Make the Road New York community group. The organization has successfully worked with committed state inspectors to wring wage-theft judgments against scores of employers — $28,000 for a gouged fruit-stand peddler, $70,000 for 99-cent store workers, $400,000 from moguls squeezing the payroll at a sneaker chain.

New York needs a strong labor law like Arizona’s. Arizona is rightly notorious for its abusive anti-immigrant law. But its labor law seriously penalizes employers who retaliate against outspoken workers, and it provides confidentiality for whistleblowers and faster, bigger damages for employers who ignore wage-theft judgments. A bill to toughen New York’s law awaits action by the Legislature, which is in its closing days, when the good and the ugly elbow for attention.
Editorial Notebook - The Cheap Cost of Cheating the Lowest Paid - NYTimes.com

Any law aimed at illegal immigration must punish those employers who hire these workers, and punish them severely enough that they have incentive to stop. Then there is a level playing field between the law-abiding businesses and the sharp operators, with an end result of some sort of more-sensible compromise.

The effect in Arizona seems to be a greater division of 'natives' getting the full protection of minimum wage law, and the even greater exploitation of 'illegals'.
Closed Thread