Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-27-2010, 06:02 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
As documented elsewhere, I picked up my Vivitar Series 1 105mm macro and heard something loose inside. I had never dropped or done anything but baby the lens. But now it wouldn't focus properly. I took it over to London with me and Sendean Cameras fixed it for 100 pounds, which I consider a good investment in an incredible lens. Now it's back taking great shots. :-)

06-28-2010, 12:19 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I have a Kodak P&S (soon to be replaced by a W90). I have given that camera a beating since I got it in 2006. It will not die. Here's a list off of the top of my head of what it's been through.
  • It's been dropped a few times. (One time it went down the stairs like a slinky)
  • Knocked off of a bar table by someone dancing drunk.
  • Had water spilled on it.
  • Had beer spilled on it.
  • A battery popped inside of it and leaked acid.
  • Used it in the rain a few times.
  • Covered it in snow when we got snow after Hurricane Ike. So much, that the lens froze open.
  • Left it on the bumper of my truck and drove off.
  • My gf tossed it to me from across the room, only to have me miss catching it and it went flying into the wall.
  • It's spent many days forgotten in a hot car.

...and it still works. Recently, I would turn it on and it would shut back off. It wasn't the batteries, and someone suggested that I smack the side of it real good. With nothing to lose, I gave it a good whack. It came back on and has been working flawlessly since.

Sorry, that's the extent of my horror stories.
06-28-2010, 07:15 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I once got a Nikon F caught on a shop door (a camera store, naturally), with me inside and the camera outside,
still attached via the neckstrap. It banged loudly against the doorframe, almost broke the plate glass window
and nearly hanged me. I couldn't find a mark on the camera or lens and it continued to function flawlessly.

A gust of wind at Fort Tilden once literally blew a little Ricoh FF-1 folder out of my hands.
Despite a gentle landing on soft beach sand the shutter release then no longer functioned.
Fortunately it was a simple repair for Eric. The lesson is USE THAT WRIST STRAP!

Chris