Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
drill baby drill or burn baby burn..

Sad article........
BP ‘burning sea turtles alive’ | Raw Story

07-01-2010, 12:52 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This was ugly long before anyone even started to face up to what happened a couple of months ago.
07-01-2010, 03:39 PM   #3
Veteran Member

That is incredible. I've been hearing this for a couple of days, but wanted to be naive enough to believe it was just an online rumor. I knew better deep down, though.
07-01-2010, 04:37 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I am not denying the possibility that there may be turtles that are caught up in the burn boxes. I do however object to an interview that does not provide hard evidence of turtles being burned as proof. During the interview from minute marker 1:38 - 1:55 the guy describes what they do and makes an assumption that there had to have been turtles there. The interviewer should have continued and attempted to prove that infact turtles are being burned intentionally by BP for this article to be considered legitimate news.

07-01-2010, 05:09 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by gokenin Quote
I am not denying the possibility that there may be turtles that are caught up in the burn boxes. I do however object to an interview that does not provide hard evidence of turtles being burned as proof. During the interview from minute marker 1:38 - 1:55 the guy describes what they do and makes an assumption that there had to have been turtles there. The interviewer should have continued and attempted to prove that infact turtles are being burned intentionally by BP for this article to be considered legitimate news.
Go ahead and tell us to assume, Terran Empire logo guy.

(For some reason, life makes more sense if I figure that one day in this timeline, Spock will have a beard. But there we are. )
07-01-2010, 05:12 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
Terran Empire logo guy.
Straight to the personal attack then...
07-01-2010, 05:16 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
Go ahead and tell us to assume, Terran Empire logo guy.

(For some reason, life makes more sense if I figure that one day in this timeline, Spock will have a beard. But there we are. )
I was waiting to see if anyone would even know what that was. I was shocked it took this long. I was simply saying that he is being held up as an "eyewitness" that never actually saw the event that he is an "eyewitness" to.
07-02-2010, 04:32 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gokenin Quote
I was waiting to see if anyone would even know what that was. I was shocked it took this long. I was simply saying that he is being held up as an "eyewitness" that never actually saw the event that he is an "eyewitness" to.
There does seem to be some assumptions made. Anyways a bit of followup.
In a sane non-money driven world it should at least be "looked in to".
Unless of course you would ass-ume BP is being completely forthright like any good business......

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2010-06-30/bp-killing-sea-turtles-in-spill-con...it-claims.html
re. lawsuit:
QuoteQuote:
“BP has already killed or otherwise harmed” hundreds of rare Kemp’s Ridley, Leatherback, Loggerhead and other species of endangered sea turtles through its use of controlled burns or as a result of contamination from the oil spill itself, the lawsuit claims. The animals become trapped when shrimp boats encircle patches of floating oil with fire-resistant booms to create “burn boxes” 60 to 100 feet in diameter, they said.

In affidavits filed with the lawsuit, boat captains and turtle rescue workers say that in recent weeks they’ve saved numerous sea turtles that were trapped in heavy oil-sludge lines offshore, many from the same areas where trawlers are corralling sludge for controlled burns. The turtles are too heavily oiled to free themselves from the sludge and swim to safety, although out of the oil they respond well to rehabilitation, the witnesses said.

“Although I assume that such acts are an unintentional consequence of BP’s controlled burning strategy, I expect that these incidental burnings are almost certainly occurring based on my personal observations,” said Kevin Aderhold, a Louisiana charter boat captain involved in the sea turtle rescue effort.
OK my bleeding heart liberalism is showing by posting this link........
Please watch the video and think.. it's kind of ......err..... cute.
http://febone1960.net/febone_blog/?p=3725

Last edited by jeffkrol; 07-02-2010 at 04:55 AM.
07-02-2010, 04:57 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
In a sane non-money driven world it should at least be "looked in to".
Wow... How Utopian can you get? You really don't get human nature do you? If the currency of trade ceased to be money then it will become something else, cows, cups, writing pads it really doesn't matter because until Everything, (the capital "E" is there to denote absolutely everything), can be provided to Everyone at no cost to Anyone then there will have to be a system of fair trade.

Your version of sanity is insane.
07-02-2010, 05:17 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by GingeM Quote
Wow... How Utopian can you get? You really don't get human nature do you? If the currency of trade ceased to be money then it will become something else, cows, cups, writing pads it really doesn't matter because until Everything, (the capital "E" is there to denote absolutely everything), can be provided to Everyone at no cost to Anyone then there will have to be a system of fair trade.

Your version of sanity is insane.

I get human nature quite well... thus the point of law and regulation... I refuse to let the "wild west" re emerge.... as to money, I never mentioned anything about it except to imply people defend their money even to the evasion of law and order.
It is up to each individual to decide where that line is, the risk of crossing it and the moral consequences...
Ok you mis took the "money driven" part. That I can understand... Never said eliminate money but money should not always be the end all of everything. I can also understand how you took it that way.

I have a funny story that you will appreciate. "Rumor" has it Volvo will put you up in a hotel for 2 days and allow you to drive one of their vehicles if you agree to purchase one at 10% below list. AFTER the 2 days they will sell you the car as "used" and crate it up as such for shipment to the US... Major tax avoidance issues here.... no I understand human nature all too well.
Utopia dystopia, there one in the same, depends on your "attitude" of what should be.
Fair trade is another lengthy issue... should it apply to anything? Who determines what is fair? Yes, "willing" buyer blah blah blah.
should apply to all drugs, no?
I also believe ALL life has a "soul" but have not sufficiently defined it for myself.. How barbaric huh.

Last edited by jeffkrol; 07-02-2010 at 05:40 AM.
07-02-2010, 05:51 AM   #11
graphicgr8s

QuoteOriginally posted by jeffkrol Quote
I get human nature quite well... thus the point of law and regulation... I refuse to let the "wild west" re emerge.... as to money, I never mentioned anything about it except to imply people defend their money even to the evasion of law and order.
It is up to each individual to decide where that line is, the risk of crossing it and the moral consequences...
Ok you mis took the "money driven" part. That I can understand... Never said eliminate money but money should not always be the end all of everything. I can also understand how you took it that way.

I have a funny story that you will appreciate. "Rumor" has it Volvo will put you up in a hotel for 2 days and allow you to drive one of their vehicles if you agree to purchase one at 10% below list. AFTER the 2 days they will sell you the car as "used" and crate it up as such for shipment to the US... Major tax avoidance issues here.... no I understand human nature all too well.
Utopia dystopia, there one in the same, depends on your "attitude" of what should be.
Fair trade is another lengthy issue... should it apply to anything? Who determines what is fair? Yes, "willing" buyer blah blah blah.
should apply to all drugs, no?
I also believe ALL life has a "soul" but have not sufficiently defined it for myself.. How barbaric huh.
What is wrong about taking advantage of LEGAL loopholes? You've never done it on YOUR taxes? (Be honest. You know you do)
07-02-2010, 06:13 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by graphicgr8s Quote
What is wrong about taking advantage of LEGAL loopholes? You've never done it on YOUR taxes? (Be honest. You know you do)
I have no need for loop holes I don't make enough...
I tell people at work that the only people that get screwed in our country are the honest ones...
Sad but fairly correct. an entire society of "don't ask, don't tell"
Here's something else for you and GingeM to digest...............
washingtonpost.com
QuoteQuote:
Who would turn down a $1 million prize for solving a math problem?

Perhaps the smartest man in the world.

Three months ago, a famously impoverished Russian mathematician named Grigori Perelman was awarded the prestigious $1 million Clay Mathematics Institute Millennium Prize for his groundbreaking work -- having solved a problem of three-dimensional geometry that had resisted scores of brilliant mathematicians since 1904.

Thursday, the institute announced that Perelman, known equally for his brilliance and his eccentricities, formally and finally turned down the award and the money. He didn't deserve it, he told a Russian news service, because he was following a mathematical path set by another................ The Poincaré conjecture was updated over the years and one of its modifiers, William Thurston, said at the ceremony in Paris that "Perelman's aversion to public spectacle and to riches is mystifying to many. I have not talked to him about it and I can certainly not speak for him, but I want to say I have complete empathy and admiration for his inner strength and clarity, to be able to know and hold true to himself. . . . We have learned from Perelman's mathematics. Perhaps we should also pause to reflect on ourselves and learn from Perelman's attitude toward life."

In 2006, Perelman turned down another coveted award in mathematics, the Fields Medal, which honored "his contributions to geometry and his revolutionary insights into the analytical and geometric structure" of topology. The journal Science credited Perelman with the scientific breakthrough of 2006, the first time a mathematician had been recognized.

Still, Perelman was quoted by the Interfax news service this week as saying he believes his contribution in proving the Poincaré conjecture was no greater than that of American mathematician Richard Hamilton, who first suggested a pathway toward the solution.

The Clay Institute was founded in 1998 by Boston businessman Landon T. Clay and his wife, Lavinia. Its mission statement says the institute was formed "to increase and disseminate mathematical knowledge."
washingtonpost.com
Insane, no?
Yes, I understand human nature........ as this is as understandable as the thoughts going through your head regarding someone turning down a million dollars.
to be honest, I'd take it most likely, but I can understand his attitude.

Last edited by jeffkrol; 07-02-2010 at 06:19 AM.
07-02-2010, 06:26 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Sadly, the economic cost/benefit analysis BP has likely done would indicate the largest liability comes from land. Their clean up efforts would thus slant to this - and on the open sea, what's cheap and keeps oil out of sight, regardless of environmental impact, is what they spend most of the money on. Thus burning and the use of dispersants.
07-02-2010, 06:39 AM   #14
graphicgr8s

I heard about him turning it down a while ago. Some folks are just happy the way they are.
07-02-2010, 06:45 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by graphicgr8s Quote
I heard about him turning it down a while ago. Some folks are just happy the way they are.
I now understand why Rupert thought there was hope for you....