Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-01-2010, 01:09 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
A Book Recommendation for "Car Folk"

I love books about cars, the industry that develops them, the companies that create the industry and the heros and villains that shape and rule the companies. Despite that, I generally find books about auto racing uncompelling, presumably because I pay only casual attention to the sport, and my interest in NASCAR (racing's centerpiece in the US) approaches zero. Nevertheless, a couple of days ago in the library, I found myself picking up "He Crashed Me So I Crashed Him Back" by Mark Bechtel, who (according to the book's jacket) is a senior editor at Sports Illustrated and covered NASCAR for a time. I knocked it off during part of a very rainy day and enjoyed every page.

Bechtel focuses on the 1979 season with the thesis that '79 marked the transition of NASCAR from a "regional curiosity to a major sport." He includes the usual stuff about the era's icons, the feuds, the cars, the tracks and - of course - the crashes. However, in what sets this book apart (in my eyes), Bechtel also deftly folds in connections of factors outside racing to the evolution of NASCAR and its audience: the industrialization and urbanization of the South; changing pop culture, politics, and technology; media relationships with racing; and even the weather. For example, he details how the first live broadcast (CBS) of the Daytona 500 fell on a stormy winter day that trapped millions of Americans inside smack dab between the football and baseball seasons and with only three TV networks to choose from. Consequently, 10 million people watched the race, its frequent lead changes and crashes (not to mention the post-race fight between the Allison brothers and Cale Yarborough); it was a spectacle that - according to Bechtel - started NASCAR on its way to the big time.

Bechtel tells the story in an engaging, non-linear fashion; it's a crisp easy read told with a droll wit and enough tasty sarcasm to give it a little bite. For the car folk and particularly race fans: next time you're in the library, thumb through a copy and see if it tickles your fancy.

Jer

07-03-2010, 11:29 AM   #2
Inactive Account

I was at that 1979 Daytona 500 sitting on the front stretch just past the tri-oval. It was a heck of a race especially the last lap. One thing I remember from that day is halfway through the race I pointed to a car and told my brother "That rookie is going to be GOOD!" That rookie would die in the Daytona 500 twenty-two years later. His name was Dale Earnhardt. (I will admit to having tears in my eyes just last night seeing that Wrangler Jeans car sitting in Victory Lane at Daytona with Dale Earnhardt Jr. having just won the race.)

CW

Last edited by straightshooter; 07-03-2010 at 11:48 AM.
07-04-2010, 12:58 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Here's the clip to go with this thread.
[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXbHQtZH8dE[/YT]

QuoteOriginally posted by straightshooter Quote
His name was Dale Earnhardt. (I will admit to having tears in my eyes just last night seeing that Wrangler Jeans car sitting in Victory Lane at Daytona with Dale Earnhardt Jr. having just won the race.)

CW
Tony Eury was in tears. He could barely speak after the finish. That was definately an emotional finish for them considering the history. Winning it in Sr's paint just made it that much more honorable of a victory.
07-07-2010, 07:42 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by straightshooter Quote
I was at that 1979 Daytona 500 sitting on the front stretch just past the tri-oval. It was a heck of a race especially the last lap. One thing I remember from that day is halfway through the race I pointed to a car and told my brother "That rookie is going to be GOOD!" That rookie would die in the Daytona 500 twenty-two years later. His name was Dale Earnhardt. (I will admit to having tears in my eyes just last night seeing that Wrangler Jeans car sitting in Victory Lane at Daytona with Dale Earnhardt Jr. having just won the race.)

CW
Interesting. Bechtel points out in his description of the race that it brought attention to Earnhardt, who came to define NASCAR as it became a "national sport."

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by r0ckstarr Quote
Here's the clip to go with this thread.
[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXbHQtZH8dE[/YT]

Tony Eury was in tears. He could barely speak after the finish. That was definately an emotional finish for them considering the history. Winning it in Sr's paint just made it that much more honorable of a victory.
Thanks for posting this, Brian. It certainly enforces Bechtel's description of the race; it's also interesting that Yarborough makes a case similar to Bechtel's: the race and the fight put NASCAR on the map.

Jer

07-09-2010, 08:23 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
NASCAR history is more than just that mentioned. . . . . .

I wouldn't leave out drag racing . . . . . . . . .
To be sure, Bechtel's book is not (nor does he intend it to be) a comprehensive history of NASCAR - of which there are many, I'm sure. Again, as I indicated in my OP, Bechtel centers on various factors of the '79 season that were pivotal in beginning the transformation of NASCAR (as an organization and a business) to a big time spectator sport.

I'm missing the relationship of drag racing to Bechtel's thesis on the development of NASCAR. I suspect the two sports share some fans; what additional connections do you see?

Jer

Last edited by Sailor; 07-09-2010 at 08:24 AM. Reason: Age and Laziness
07-09-2010, 09:04 AM   #6
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
To be sure, Bechtel's book is not (nor does he intend it to be) a comprehensive history of NASCAR - of which there are many, I'm sure. Again, as I indicated in my OP, Bechtel centers on various factors of the '79 season that were pivotal in beginning the transformation of NASCAR (as an organization and a business) to a big time spectator sport.

I'm missing the relationship of drag racing to Bechtel's thesis on the development of NASCAR. I suspect the two sports share some fans; what additional connections do you see?

Jer
I deleted my original post. I was merely pointing out that NASCAR and NHRA/IHRA have been defined by the personalities over the years.
07-09-2010, 04:13 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
I deleted my original post. I was merely pointing out that NASCAR and NHRA/IHRA have been defined by the personalities over the years.
Heck, no reason to delete your post because I was too damn dense to understand your point - with which I absolutely agree. People that have the personalities that propel them to race cars that approach or exceed 200 mph simply have to be interesting.

I haven't paid a great deal of attention to auto racing for the last three decades, but that was not always so. In '67 I watched A. J. Foyt win a USAC Champ Car race at a dirt track in DuQuoin, Illinois; you sat close enough to the track that you'd leave the race covered with grime. I also was a big fan of Parnelli Jones for reasons that I have to admit I don't remember. In those days, some of the major drivers, like Jones and Foyt, did both USAC and Indy (the big gun of the era) as well as NASCAR, and I loved to watch Jones (on TV) horse around a big 427 Merc at NASCAR venues.

My interest in drag racing (other than running my '65 Mustang on Richview Road west of Mt. Vernon, IL) has always been tepid, but when I was a grad student at Vandy, I saw Dyno Don Nicholson driving something (I think a Merc) in '69 or '70 at a Nashville dragstrip (I don't remember the name, but I think it was west of town).

Jer

07-09-2010, 05:02 PM   #8
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My original post was probably a little to broad for the context of the thread. The interesting thing about the '79 Daytona 500 is that Buddy Baker won the pole but had to drop out in lap 38 due to a blown engine. He came back either the following year or 2 years later and set the Daytona 500 overall speed record that still holds at over 177 avg mph. That performance along with his domination at the sister track in Talladega was part of the reason NASCAR adopted the restricter plates for those tracks. But the winner of the 79 Daytona 500 was Richard Petty due to the wreck and fight at the end. However, the crowd exploded with excitement because that was Petty's 6th Daytona 500 win. In case you are interested, this race has been available on DVD since 2007. A better ending may have actually been the 1976 Daytona where Petty spun out at the end and couldn't restart his car which allowed Pearson to win. That race ironically set up the fans for the '79 race. What the National televised race did was show the masses that Petty et al. were a big deal to the fans which drew in more fans.

Edit: I actually like P. Jones also but for his Bronco! The one that was stolen during his cameo in the original Gone in 60 Seconds.