Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-02-2010, 06:49 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Seventeenth Amendment yea or nay

Seventeenth Amendment to the United States Constitution - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Repeal or not?
QuoteQuote:
Also it was believed that while an unqualified candidate might win a popular-vote majority through demagoguery or superficial qualities, the legislature, which could deliberate on its choice, and whose members had been selected by their constituents and had experience in politics, would be safe from such folly. Finally, election by the legislature was expected to insulate Senators from the distraction of public campaigning for election or re-election, leaving them free to concentrate on the great business of the federal government. This last purpose was also served by the six-year term for Senators, compared to the two-year term for U.S. Representatives.
QuoteQuote:
A movement exists that calls for the repeal of the Seventeenth Amendment, generally opposing it on grounds of federalism and taking away too much power from the states. Proponents of repeal have also accused Senators of being hostage to special interests, the same charge that helped pass the Seventeenth Amendment in 1913
Darned if you do, darned if you don't....

07-02-2010, 07:55 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Oh jeez, I could see the mess, say, the NY legistlature would make of this.

I think we should just let the corporations in each state elect the senators. It would be much simpler and direct, and save money too.
07-02-2010, 08:44 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
Oh jeez, I could see the mess, say, the NY legistlature would make of this.

I think we should just let the corporations in each state elect the senators. It would be much simpler and direct, and save money too.
Judging by the performance of the NY legislature lately, we would be a state without a Senator, one of the problems which brought about the 17th amendment to begin with. Of course, state legislators are elected directly and look what NY has come up with. So the choices are:
1. Two clowns get directly elected by the people to represent the state.
2. Two clowns get chosen by the other clowns to represent the state.
Since clowns aren't good at anything except tripping over their own feet and doing stupid things, I thing it is a much better system having Senators directly elected by the people.
07-02-2010, 09:48 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
Judging by the performance of the NY legislature lately, we would be a state without a Senator, one of the problems which brought about the 17th amendment to begin with. Of course, state legislators are elected directly and look what NY has come up with. So the choices are:
1. Two clowns get directly elected by the people to represent the state.
2. Two clowns get chosen by the other clowns to represent the state.
Since clowns aren't good at anything except tripping over their own feet and doing stupid things, I thing it is a much better system having Senators directly elected by the people.
What he said.. Then again, I think All elections should be a direct by the people vote.