Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-02-2010, 02:00 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I Spy.. interesting take on it.

Russia-US spy scandal timing intentional Kuwait Times Website
QuoteQuote:
"The most notable thing is the time when the scandal happened. The timing is not by chance," Fy
odor Lukyanov, editor of "Russia in Global Politics" magazine, told AFP.

I think that in the United States there is quite strong opposition to the policies of Obama and his course towards rapprochement with Russia. This scandal is a sign to his administration that it needs to be more careful." The timing of the announcement straight after Medvedev's US visit seemed intended to undo the positive impressions from his much-photographed encounters with Obama and Californian governor Arnold Schwarzenegger, experts said............................While it was unclear what impact scandal would have on negotiations between the two countries, the spy scandal could hinder the ratification of a historic deal between the US and Russia to cut their nuclear stocks, experts said. The two countries' leaders signed a new START arms control treaty in April, setting new limits on the number of nuclear-capable missiles, but it has yet to be ratified by the US Senate, and faces deep scepticism from Republicans. "There will not be ratification of START before the
November (mid-term) elections and after the elections it is even more doubtful," Kremenyuk predicted. The most weighty achievement of the reset will be thwarted..............................The idea that a group of 10-11 people worked together in a spy ring "would provoke laughter from any professional," former FSB chief Kovalyov told Interfax. "An illegal (agent) always has contact with just one person. That is the golden rule of any special service in the world."
Kuwait.. they still like us don't they??? \
Anyways SSDD...................
OT: Ironic isn't it...........
http://www.kuwaittimes.net/read_news.php?newsid=MzM4NzA5NDE2
QuoteQuote:
KUWAIT: The National Assembly yesterday passed the 2010/2011 budget which projects a massive deficit of KD 6.6 billion and a sharp increase in spending, but MPs blasted the government's economic and financial policies for failing to diversify the economy and continued dependence on oil.
Selling oil that is.

07-02-2010, 02:13 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I'd agree that is a possible scenario though I don't think there is a general undercurrent of not wanting to do business with Russia. It's another emerging market albeit one better served by Europe but there is still plenty of room for sales and therefore profit.

Here's another scenario.

Obama and Medvedev discussed something where Obama wanted something and Medvedev chose not to give it. Obama has more harm he can do but this is a warning shot against low level operatives that have not yet been committed. Now Russian security services are going to be in a right tizzy trying to work out what else Obama has...

Just a thought... Though I might be giving Obama a bit too much credit.
07-08-2010, 06:17 PM   #3
Veteran Member

i'm surprised the forum hasnt been picking this apart..

my own view is that spy games are a necesity and this swap is just a gentlemans approach to the situation.

although from what i gather the US spies that spent time in a Russian prison are in a worse off position :/
07-09-2010, 06:45 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Ginge, I'd be inclined to agree with your speculation. Or, it could be as simple as the US folks in Russian prision as spies needed to be released for something else to happen... and sure enough, we turned up just the right trade goods. The speed at which this was done shows that some kind of agreement - or clear mutual self interest - is at play.

By the way, one of the spy couples lived next door to a school friend of our daughter's. The Murphys I believe. This friend said that maybe a FBI couple also lived on the block, as another couple moved in after the Russians, and moved out 2 weeks prior to the arrests.

07-09-2010, 08:18 AM   #5
graphicgr8s

Some negotiator Obamarama is. We give back 10 and only get 4 in return. Can't we keep the redhead? She'd probably wind up with her own reality TV show.
07-09-2010, 08:54 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by graphicgr8s Quote
Some negotiator Obamarama is. We give back 10 and only get 4 in return. Can't we keep the redhead? She'd probably wind up with her own reality TV show.
Obviously the Russians are into quantity over quality. We on the other hand can be proud of American productivity and work ethic: 4 of us equals 10 of theirs any day

That's a great idea for a reality show: a pretty Russian spy doing her spy stuff. I'd watch it.
07-09-2010, 08:58 AM   #7
Veteran Member

well

our spies just got caught

your spies have been sitting in prison

07-10-2010, 02:56 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Seems your not alone George

QuoteOriginally posted by graphicgr8s Quote
QuoteQuote:
Leno then showed a sultry photo of alleged Russian agent Anna Chapman and asked: "Are our spies this hot?"

Biden's reply, in a mock-serious tone: "Let me be clear. It was not my idea to send her back."

The vice president also said he had one more suggestion for the deal that was ignored.

"I thought they'd take Rush Limbaugh," he said.
too bad about the Rush thing though.......
FOXNews.com - Biden Tells Leno U.S. Did Fine in Russian Spy Swap
since I'm cruising FOX I'd like to present a few more tid bits.....
QuoteQuote:
Tuesday

Nationwide Average
$2.71 a gallon

FOX Business learned Tuesday that Goldman Sachs (GS: 138.01, 2.56, 1.89%) has decided to put a stop to political donations. People close to the firm said this is an attempt to insulate the investment bank from charges it is trying to influence lawmakers who are currently debating financial reform regulations. Executives at banks have scaled back on their political contributions as well.
It's a start... but what does it really do?
QuoteQuote:
Wednesday

TARP Turning a Profit? Dept.: The government’s bank bailout Program is reportedly earning a profit, according to investment bank Keefe, Bruyette & Woods. According to the bank, the Capital Purchase Program portion of TARP has generated a 10% return so far.
Golleee........

07-10-2010, 03:14 PM   #9
Veteran Member

The Goldman decision is a good one, though I'm sure they find ways around it. Plus, their work is done: the coming regulation will be a known quantity and despite the negotiating tactics designed to not leave any money on the table, is accepted by the bankers. They are already making the changes, they already have their best people working ways to make money from the regulations, despite the regulations, and assisting other companies to live within (and around) them.

I wonder if they consider lobbyist money as political contributions.

Also, though those ex-Goldman men in high places probably have their holdings in blind trust, I doubt many have completely sold their large GS holdings, and I'm certain they have an idea that this stock is still sitting in the trust account. The 'undue influence' in the case of Goldman was less about contributions than about old-boy ties of the alumni association.
07-10-2010, 04:17 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
o/t but thinking about Rush

Shouldn't he be in Puerto Rico or something by now?
Apparently he just wanted to thumb his nose at NY.......
Limbaugh Gets Mega Millions on Condo Sale - WSJ.com
QuoteQuote:
Last year when New York state adopted a temporary income-tax surcharge to raise more than $3 billion a year, Mr. Limbaugh said on his radio show that he was going to "get out of New York totally" and sell his Manhattan apartment. A Web transcript of the show is titled "El Rushbo to New York: Drop Dead."

Mr. Limbaugh didn't return a call for comment