Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-06-2010, 03:59 PM   #16
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by szurinaga Quote
If I make a million dollars and use 500,000 to wipe my ass and the other 500,000 to make a nice toasty fire to keep me warm then since its my money, its that ok?

You are entitled to spend your money exactly to how you please, I cant negate that. But you cant possibly pretend that all money is spent for rational reasons. I am talking about how people stupidly waste their money, YOU are talking about how people can do what they want. Completely different things.

Most people live on an income based on paycheck to paycheck. They have bills, loans, car maintenance, mortgage, clothing, food and education for their children. Yet it is these exact examples of citizens who most throw away their money on ridiculous stuff.

And what are you talking about when you say that money cant be earned if none is spent? Haven't you heard of savings interest? You know what a bank is right?
Spoken just like someone who is flat ass broke. They are the Only people I ever hear bitching about how someone else spends their money. The arrogance of you to suggest that because YOU find it irrational, people spending their money, As they see fit, is unbelievable. WTF do You care if someone spends $400 on an iPod (whatever the hell that is)? What Business is it of Yours? I'll answer that for you. NONE.

07-06-2010, 04:28 PM   #17

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
Spoken just like someone who is flat ass broke. They are the Only people I ever hear bitching about how someone else spends their money. The arrogance of you to suggest that because YOU find it irrational, people spending their money, As they see fit, is unbelievable. WTF do You care if someone spends $400 on an iPod (whatever the hell that is)? What Business is it of Yours? I'll answer that for you. NONE.

Wow you are a dumbass. Maybe you should read what I wrote.

You are entitled to spend your money exactly to how you please, I cant negate that. But you cant possibly pretend that all money is spent for rational reasons.

I dont give a shit how you spend your money, its just pathetic that people become slaves to the very things they own. Please JeffJS, by all means spend all of your money, I will enjoy seeing you homeless on the street.
07-06-2010, 04:40 PM   #18
Inactive Account

Wow you are a genius. Maybe you should read what I wrote.

You are entitled to spend your money exactly to how you please, I cant negate that. But you cant possibly pretend that all money is spent for rational reasons.

I dont give a shit how you spend your money, its just pathetic that people become slaves to the very things they own. Please JeffJS, by all means spend all of your money, I will enjoy seeing you homeless on the street.
I read what you wrote, and none of it was anything more than you bitching about how people spend their money. After my 14 houses burn to the ground, and I've gone through all the insurance money being irrational, I guess I'll look around for your cardboard box under the freeway.

Again, you go to Rational. Rational to whom? You? I'll ask again, Who do you think you are to decide what is Rational for somebody else?
07-06-2010, 05:29 PM   #19

I read what you wrote, and none of it was anything more than you bitching about how people spend their money. After my 14 houses burn to the ground, and I've gone through all the insurance money being irrational, I guess I'll look around for your cardboard box under the freeway.

Again, you go to Rational. Rational to whom? You? I'll ask again, Who do you think you are to decide what is Rational for somebody else?
I said Rational once, learn to count. And its rational for everyone with a ****in brain, you are obviously excluded. If you are that insecure about your life, that when I talk about people in general you take it so personal that you wanna insult me, then its kinda sad JeffJS

14 houses, very nice investment, going the Nicolas Cage way I see...

I dont give a shit about you, so if you dont mind, I want to return to the topic. It seems like people troll these forums looking for a fight. Instead I will just leave a quote from the economist Victor Lebow.

"Our enormously productive economy demands that we make consumption our way of life, that we convert the buying and use of goods into rituals, that we seek our spiritual satisfaction and our ego satisfaction in consumption. We need things consumed, burned up, worn out, replaced and discarded at an ever-increasing rate".

07-06-2010, 05:58 PM   #20
Inactive Account

I said Rational once, learn to count. And its rational for everyone with a ****in brain, you are obviously excluded. If you are that insecure about your life, that when I talk about people in general you take it so personal that you wanna insult me, then its kinda sad JeffJS
You're the one that pulled out the name calling, the first dead giveaway of just how insignificant you Or your opinions really are. The above is just another example of your inability to give a straight answer to a simple question. I'm quite secure thank you very much.

QuoteQuote:

, so if you dont mind, I want to return to the topic. It seems like people troll these forums looking for a fight.
No, I don't mind but When have you ever been on topic?

07-06-2010, 06:30 PM   #21

Dude let it go, the first post you wrote on this thread on the first line you go on to call me "flat ass broke" bitchy and arrogant. And I'm the one whos naming calling?

...Marijuana affects the memory right Jeff?
07-06-2010, 07:01 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Sofa... Check...

Beer... Check...

Popcorn... Check...

*settles back to watch the cat fight*

07-06-2010, 08:47 PM   #23
Inactive Account

I wouldn't know. Never tried it.

07-07-2010, 05:02 AM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
It seems that it makes people nod off though...

Hey szurinaga... Wake up... There was a cat fight going on here that I was looking forward to watching...
07-07-2010, 05:22 AM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Good point. There is a big difference in the overall economic effect of <spending what you earn>, and <spending, in addition to what you earn, what you haven't yet earned.> It's the spending what you haven't yet earned that causes the problems.
Well now - isn't that what consumerism is really all about, and isn't that the predictable and intentional aim of the advertisers of the individual components of this unstated but very real philosophy?
07-07-2010, 06:01 AM   #26
graphicgr8s

Heres my explanation. Iphone=400 dollars. Ipad=500 dollars. Xbox360=400 dollars. Nike Shoes=150 dollars. Ray-bans=150 dollars. Laptop=800 dollars. 3-d flat screen TV=3000 dollars. Blu-ray player=200 dollars. Bose sound system=1,000 dollars. Beat headphones=300 dollars. Lacoste shirts=100 dollars

None of these things are essential in our lives, but we are brainwashed to buy them all as soon as they come out. So in the end, we end up wasting thousands of hours of our lives working at things we hate to do, just so we can have something shiny. And what is the life-span of the things we buy, one or two years? you buy an ipod nano, but next year there is a new ipod nano with video, and the next year there is an ipod nano with wifi and next year there is an ipod nano with some other bullshit and you just keep on wasting your money. None of these things are any different really. a 20in. flat screen is the same as a 20in. rear projection, but which would people rather have? Forget about HD and all that crap,(because most cable boxes aren't even set-up for HD or they cant even afford HD channels) they want it because its cooler.

The explanation of how consumerism has corrupted us all to be a vain and wasteful citizens is long and I most likely did not convince you in the least of why it is bad. But just think, why do we work as slaves for 45 years of our lives just to buy toys? Why would we all rather have nicer cars then we do homes? Why would we rather have Plasma TV's if we cant even afford the cable to go with it? Why do the majority of Americans prefer some snazzy cellphone that cost 600 dollars and eat at macdonalds, then to save that money, buy any regular cheap phone and eat healthy food? When it comes to priorities, Capitalism countries rather spend money then to save it.
There isn't a darn thing wrong with buying any of these things. There isn't a darn thing wrong with buying all of these things at once if you so chose. What would be wrong is buying any of these things while your rent/mortgage groceries, utilities, etc. remains unpaid. Nothing wrong at all with spending DISCRETIONARY money. There is much wrong with spending non-discretionary money on the toys. It torques me when I see a woman all done up to the nines while paying for stuff with food stamps. That's MY confiscated money. If she can afford the nails and the hairdo and the smokes she can afford to pay for her own groceries.

In fact I just bought another Porter Cable router. Got it used/reconditioned from one of my customers. 75 bucks. Second one I bought from him and I love them both. But it didn't take any money from the bills. Or from G4.

QuoteQuote:
It is similar to advertising that encourages smoking or overeating. I would say that everyone should have the freedom to abuse one's own body, but the culture that encourages it is still distasteful.
Government doesn't want you to quit smoking. Not at all. If everyone quit smoking where would they get the money to fund all those programs after all? Gee, I thought the cigarette taxes where to help relieve the burden smokers cost the healthcare system.

Last edited by graphicgr8s; 07-07-2010 at 06:07 AM.
07-07-2010, 06:29 AM   #27
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Ballard of course wrote the classic short story on marketing and the conditioning of the consumer to buy ever more stuff, in The Subliminal Man
http://www.searchlores.org/opr0207B.htm
07-07-2010, 06:37 AM   #28
graphicgr8s

It wasn't great. But it was better than what we got now.
Attached Images

07-07-2010, 06:42 AM   #29
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Wha? President Bush is now a contestant in the Miss ME beauty contest? It's true his pa has a compound in Maine, so I suppose he qualifies. A bit unusual for an ex president, but Bush always was a maverick.
07-07-2010, 10:11 AM   #30

I get riled up pretty easily, but im not going to continue the fight because it will never end. It does upset me though me when people just insult me personally without making concrete oppositions to my words.

To Graphics8gr whatever.

There is nothing wrong with buying any of those things, thats true. But people buy all of these things and the next year the buy exact replicas of these things again. We live in a sad throw away society, I'm surprised we have the space to throw all these things away to buy more stuff. And if we are going to be honest, most people buy these products because they come with a status symbol. They buy it because it makes them look cooler, not because it benefits their lives.

I'm not trying to tell people what to spend their money on, I'm just trying to address this ever growing problem. Should we also not address the problem with the massive obesity in the US because we shouldnt say what people eat?