Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-07-2010, 10:27 AM   #31
graphicgr8s

QuoteOriginally posted by szurinaga Quote
I get riled up pretty easily, but im not going to continue the fight because it will never end. It does upset me though me when people just insult me personally without making concrete oppositions to my words.

To Graphics8gr whatever.

There is nothing wrong with buying any of those things, thats true. But people buy all of these things and the next year the buy exact replicas of these things again. We live in a sad throw away society, I'm surprised we have the space to throw all these things away to buy more stuff. And if we are going to be honest, most people buy these products because they come with a status symbol. They buy it because it makes them look cooler, not because it benefits their lives.

I'm not trying to tell people what to spend their money on, I'm just trying to address this ever growing problem. Should we also not address the problem with the massive obesity in the US because we shouldn't say what people eat?
Again, so what? If they think it makes them look cool that's their business. So long as it isn't taking food off the table it's their money. So long as they buy these things and they collect no "entitlement" money so what?

And NO. The government has NO RIGHT WHATSOEVER to tell me what I can or cannot eat. If I want to gorge myself on beef that's MY business. Not yours. Not Obamaramas. And not the late racist Byrd's.

07-07-2010, 10:33 AM   #32

Photos: Albums
Omg, who is saying the government is going to take away your happy meal? chill out and drink a six pack of bacon juice if it makes you happy.

These are not government topics, these are social ones. Our society is going back to the stone age, but as long as you have your air-conditioning, whopper and Iphone then you dont really give a shit about anyone else do you?

Are you cousins with Glen Beck or something? Do you work for Fox news? Because you make all the same points they do, and somehow dodge the questions you dont want to answer...
Youre cool with the government taking away 35 percent of your paycheck, but if they take away your KFC then watch out!
07-07-2010, 10:40 AM   #33
graphicgr8s

Omg, who is saying the government is going to take away your happy meal? chill out and drink a six pack of bacon juice if it makes you happy.

These are not government topics, these are social ones. Our society is going back to the stone age, but as long as you have your air-conditioning, whopper and Iphone then you dont really give a shit about anyone else do you?

Are you cousins with Glen Beck or something? Do you work for Fox news?
Youre cool with the government taking away 35 percent of your paycheck, but if they take away your KFC then watch out!
Well, let's see. I haven't been to a fast crap joint in years. Many, many, many years And Mickies is the farthest thing from food. But that's another thread.
Government does want to regulate what you eat though. Just look at the proposal with salt in NY state.
I don't have an Ianything. I see no value in it at all and as such I won't waste my money. I buy things I can use. I buy tools. I don't always have the top of the line but what I buy will last. I don't have money to throw away since the government confiscates over 35% if you really figure it out counting all taxes, fees, what have you.

But what I buy doesn't take food off the table nor does it deprive my child of anything. It is money I can afford to spend. And no, my wife doesn't have her nails done. She would rather spend that money on plants and our son. And for the record, I don't get any "entitlement" money. So what I spend I worked hard for.
07-07-2010, 10:43 AM   #34
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery

There is nothing wrong with buying any of those things, thats true. But people buy all of these things and the next year the buy exact replicas of these things again. We live in a sad throw away society, I'm surprised we have the space to throw all these things away to buy more stuff. And if we are going to be honest, most people buy these products because they come with a status symbol. They buy it because it makes them look cooler, not because it benefits their lives.

I'm not trying to tell people what to spend their money on, I'm just trying to address this ever growing problem. Should we also not address the problem with the massive obesity in the US because we shouldnt say what people eat?
What problem? Why is it a problem that the completely frivolous and unnecessary widgit that I bought this year will be updated next year to a new super-widgit and I will buy one of those also.
As to the obesity question: We should address the problem through education. Saying what people can and can't eat (in other words making some foods illegal because someone has decided they are unhealthy) is ludicrous.

07-07-2010, 10:46 AM   #35
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
What problem? Why is it a problem that the completely frivolous and unnecessary widgit that I bought this year will be updated next year to a new super-widgit and I will buy one of those also.
As to the obesity question: We should address the problem through education. Saying what people can and can't eat (in other words making some foods illegal because someone has decided they are unhealthy) is ludicrous.
Maybe you should buy one of my mercury burger w/ asbestos bun w/ some PCB sauce on the side.......
Actually that IS the gov's job.......... certainly not something to leave to a vested interest.
giving you a saltless burger and allowing YOU to choose how much salt to put on is quite Democratic....
07-07-2010, 10:47 AM   #36
Veteran Member

personal responsibility = good.

That government regulates what you put in your mouth isn't the question, after all, collectively we have agreed that health and sanitation standards need to be enforced, things such as e coli contaminations managed, additives tested for toxicisity, drugs for effectiveness and toxicisity, and so on, are indeed good things for the government to do. When you start getting into the borderlines - i.e. why do we have to call it 'processed cheese product' or why should the state limit salt content of food - is where we start resenting or applauding government involvement.
07-07-2010, 10:49 AM   #37
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jeffkrol Quote
Maybe you should buy one of my mercury burger w/ asbestos bun w/ some PCB sauce on the side.......
Actually that IS the gov's job.......... certainly not something to leave to a vested interest.
Mercury is not food. Asbestos is not food. I know you are far from being dumb, so I have to assume you are joking and that you really do understand my point.

07-07-2010, 10:56 AM   #38
Veteran Member

I would agree with you about making foods illegal, but has the government done that?
07-07-2010, 11:03 AM   #39
graphicgr8s

Seems they want to educate us about calories and exercise and all. Well I've tried all the "diets". I've cut back calories. I've worked out till I was 25 lbs more than what I started at. I've cut back to 750 calories per day and worked out every other day. By all accounts I should have lost a heck of a lot of weight. Dang it even now I should be losing. But I'm not. What you folks consider "dieting" or "correct" food balance puts weight on me. Only thing that ever worked, and I've tried them ALL is low carb. My record weight loss was 100lbs in 3 months. Kept it off for over 10 years. So "education" is biased also.
07-07-2010, 11:13 AM   #40

To graphicgr8s: 100lbs, wow sounds like you were huge at one point.

With one out of three Americans developing Diabetes now, I truly hope your son doesnt get it. And that is not a threat, I truly hope he does not get it. The same way you wouldnt want your child to get diabetes, you should be so thoughtful for all the children in America. You should just scold Macdonalds and Burgerking for using Cheap Tactics like advertising there food with Spongebob squarepants and Toystory so the children can buy there cheaply made and artificial foods which is what is causing this epidemic.
07-07-2010, 11:50 AM   #41
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
I would agree with you about making foods illegal, but has the government done that?
No, they haven't. It was in response to the fact that szurinaga seems to think that someone (whom I'm not sure) should be able to do just that.

---------- Post added 07-07-10 at 01:52 PM ----------

......... You should just scold Macdonalds and Burgerking for using Cheap Tactics like advertising there food with Spongebob squarepants and Toystory so the children can buy there cheaply made and artificial foods which is what is causing this epidemic.
The children don't buy them. The parents do. The reason the parents want it stopped is so they (the parents) won't have to actually do any parenting and tell the kids "no". They want the government to do it for them.
07-07-2010, 11:57 AM   #42

Parallax, you show me exactly where I said that government or any type of authority should make bad food illegal, and I will never never ever post on this site again.

Why do the parents buy them? Because the kids scream for them! Mommy Mommy I want a happy meal so I can have an Avatar action figure that comes with it!
07-07-2010, 12:07 PM   #43
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Parallax, you show me exactly where I said that government or any type of authority should make bad food illegal, and I will never never ever post on this site again.

Why do the parents buy them? Because the kids scream for them! Mommy Mommy I want a happy meal so I can have an Avatar action figure that comes with it!

I'm not trying to tell people what to spend their money on, I'm just trying to address this ever growing problem. Should we also not address the problem with the massive obesity in the US because we shouldnt say what people eat?
In the context of that quote, I don't see how else the part I put in bold could possibly be interpreted.
07-07-2010, 12:09 PM   #44
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
well there was that ban in chicago the made Froie Gras illegal and banned it from all resurants inside city limits. Granted it was later overturned and revoked but for a bit there the government did make a food illegal.
07-07-2010, 12:11 PM   #45

So by the same context your saying, I also said that it should be illegal to buy useless consumer products?

Parallax i respect that your a moderator on this forum but don't accuse me of saying things I didnt say

*I do not believe in laws because Laws never change anything, they only create restrictions. I advocate that we change the problems with society by education, but before education, people must become aware of our problems*

Last edited by szurinaga; 07-07-2010 at 12:13 PM. Reason: wanted to add something