07-05-2010, 09:32 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Reflections of the past

Pretty funny.

And for George:

Just interesting as to the single earner "living wage":

The rest:
FOXNews.com - Vintage Ads: What Were They (We) Thinking?

07-05-2010, 03:20 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
*doubletake on the first image.*

OK.

That doesn't need more additions.
07-05-2010, 09:59 PM   #3

Photos: Albums
the 20's to the 60's marked an appalling era of consumerism in the United States. I'm sure we all know that at one point tapeworms were sold as a miracle weight-loss supplement. The first steps into glow-in-the-dark technology was with the help of radioactive elements, people would paint their faces with this stuff for fun but years later their jaws started to fall off. During prohibition there were adds in magazines for "Medicinal Alcohol", wtf? This period also establishes the age of Quackery in commercial medicine like the home ECT (Electroconvulsive therapy) machine and others.

Theres no way that shit would fly today. Each one of those adds would cause a lawsuit in a second nowadays. WTF were we thinking? lol
07-06-2010, 06:02 AM   #4
graphicgr8s

And at one time Coke had cocaine in it. And cocaine was sold as a cure all.

And Jeff I don't like bacon. And in fact rarely eat breakfast. Just a cup (potful?) of coffee in the morning.

07-06-2010, 07:04 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by graphicgr8s Quote
And Jeff I don't like bacon. And in fact rarely eat breakfast. Just a cup (potful?) of coffee in the morning.
I remembered that.. doesn't it look goooood!
I'm tempeted to try that next weekend. Bacon in a blanket......

Last edited by jeffkrol; 07-06-2010 at 10:06 AM.
07-06-2010, 08:43 AM   #6
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by szurinaga Quote
the 20's to the 60's marked an appalling era of consumerism in the United States.
I'm still waiting for anybody to come up with a rational explanation of why "consumerism" is appalling, evil, etc. Can anybody tell me what is wrong with going to work, earning money, and then spending that money on things you need or want?
Is it just the going to work part of that that people find objectionable?
07-06-2010, 02:00 PM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
I'm still waiting for anybody to come up with a rational explanation of why "consumerism" is appalling, evil, etc. Can anybody tell me what is wrong with going to work, earning money, and then spending that money on things you need or want?
Is it just the going to work part of that that people find objectionable?
Heres my explanation. Iphone=400 dollars. Ipad=500 dollars. Xbox360=400 dollars. Nike Shoes=150 dollars. Ray-bans=150 dollars. Laptop=800 dollars. 3-d flat screen TV=3000 dollars. Blu-ray player=200 dollars. Bose sound system=1,000 dollars. Beat headphones=300 dollars. Lacoste shirts=100 dollars

None of these things are essential in our lives, but we are brainwashed to buy them all as soon as they come out. So in the end, we end up wasting thousands of hours of our lives working at things we hate to do, just so we can have something shiny. And what is the life-span of the things we buy, one or two years? you buy an ipod nano, but next year there is a new ipod nano with video, and the next year there is an ipod nano with wifi and next year there is an ipod nano with some other bullshit and you just keep on wasting your money. None of these things are any different really. a 20in. flat screen is the same as a 20in. rear projection, but which would people rather have? Forget about HD and all that crap,(because most cable boxes aren't even set-up for HD or they cant even afford HD channels) they want it because its cooler.

The explanation of how consumerism has corrupted us all to be a vain and wasteful citizens is long and I most likely did not convince you in the least of why it is bad. But just think, why do we work as slaves for 45 years of our lives just to buy toys? Why would we all rather have nicer cars then we do homes? Why would we rather have Plasma TV's if we cant even afford the cable to go with it? Why do the majority of Americans prefer some snazzy cellphone that cost 600 dollars and eat at macdonalds, then to save that money, buy any regular cheap phone and eat healthy food? When it comes to priorities, Capitalism countries rather spend money then to save it.
07-06-2010, 02:11 PM   #8
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Heres my explanation. Iphone=400 dollars. Ipad=500 dollars. Xbox360=400 dollars. Nike Shoes=150 dollars. Ray-bans=150 dollars. Laptop=800 dollars. 3-d flat screen TV=3000 dollars. Blu-ray player=200 dollars. Bose sound system=1,000 dollars. Beat headphones=300 dollars. Lacoste shirts=100 dollars
None of these things are essential in our lives, but we are brainwashed to buy them all as soon as they come out. So in the end, we end up wasting thousands of hours of our lives working at things we hate to do, just so we can have something shiny. And what is the life-span of the things we buy, one or two years? you buy an ipod nano, but next year there is a new ipod nano with video, and the next year there is an ipod nano with wifi and next year there is an ipod nano with some other bullshit and you just keep on wasting your money. None of these things are any different really. a 20in. flat screen is the same as a 20in. rear projection, but which would people rather have? Forget about HD and all that crap,(because most cable boxes aren't even set-up for HD or they cant even afford HD channels) they want it because its cooler.

The explanation of how consumerism has corrupted us all to be a vain and wasteful citizens is long and I most likely did not convince you in the least of why it is bad. But just think, why do we work as slaves for 45 years of our lives just to buy toys? Why would we all rather have nicer cars then we do homes? Why would we rather have Plasma TV's if we cant even afford the cable to go with it? Why do the majority of Americans prefer some snazzy cellphone that cost 600 dollars and eat at macdonalds, then to save that money, buy any regular cheap phone and eat healthy food? When it comes to priorities, Capitalism countries rather spend money then to save it.
Nothing in your "explanation" explains why that should be ANYBODY'S business but the person earning the money. Nor does it say anything as to why it is bad. You have described the situation pretty accurately, but the question still remains: So what?
If I earn $10.00 and spend it, someone else has earned some money from it also. If I save it, I am the only one that has earned anything. Money can't be earned if none is spent.

07-06-2010, 02:36 PM   #9

Nothing in your "explanation" explains why that should be ANYBODY'S business but the person earning the money. Nor does it say anything as to why it is bad. You have described the situation pretty accurately, but the question still remains: So what?
If I earn $10.00 and spend it, someone else has earned some money from it also. If I save it, I am the only one that has earned anything. Money can't be earned if none is spent.
If I make a million dollars and use 500,000 to wipe my ass and the other 500,000 to make a nice toasty fire to keep me warm then since its my money, its that ok?

You are entitled to spend your money exactly to how you please, I cant negate that. But you cant possibly pretend that all money is spent for rational reasons. I am talking about how people stupidly waste their money, YOU are talking about how people can do what they want. Completely different things.

Most people live on an income based on paycheck to paycheck. They have bills, loans, car maintenance, mortgage, clothing, food and education for their children. Yet it is these exact examples of citizens who most throw away their money on ridiculous stuff.

And what are you talking about when you say that money cant be earned if none is spent? Haven't you heard of savings interest? You know what a bank is right?
07-06-2010, 02:49 PM   #10
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

If I make a million dollars and use 500,000 to wipe my ass and the other 500,000 to make a nice toasty fire to keep me warm then since its my money, its that ok?

You are entitled to spend your money exactly to how you please, I cant negate that. But you cant possibly pretend that all money is spent for rational reasons. I am talking about how people stupidly waste their money, YOU are talking about how people can do what they want. Completely different things.

Most people live on an income based on paycheck to paycheck. They have bills, loans, car maintenance, mortgage, clothing, food and education for their children. Yet it is these exact examples of citizens who most throw away their money on ridiculous stuff.

And what are you talking about when you say that money cant be earned if none is spent? Haven't you heard of savings interest? You know what a bank is right?
As far as your first question regarding the million dollars; yes, it is okay. It doesn't help the economy and overall economic welfare of the country like spending it on: "Iphone=400 dollars. Ipad=500 dollars. Xbox360=400 dollars. Nike Shoes=150 dollars. Ray-bans=150 dollars. Laptop=800 dollars. 3-d flat screen TV=3000 dollars. Blu-ray player=200 dollars. Bose sound system=1,000 dollars. Beat headphones=300 dollars. Lacoste shirts=100 dollars", but it is nobody's business but yours.
As far as the interest goes, yes, in the bank I have made money. The guy in the business down the street, didn't; his employees didn't.
I agree with you that people tend to stupidly waste their money; but, once again, so what?
07-06-2010, 02:50 PM   #11
Veteran Member

At the same time, one of our core economic issues is the low savings rate and the high rate of borrowing. What I understand to be consumerism in the negative sense is being encouraged to spend every dime, when that is not prudent.

It is similar to advertising that encourages smoking or overeating. I would say that everyone should have the freedom to abuse one's own body, but the culture that encourages it is still distasteful.
07-06-2010, 02:53 PM   #12
Veteran Member

So just out of curiosity what are you advocating? That one not work? that one work but not enjoy the fruits of the work? that one should work and only save their money? I will admit that before the recent crash of 2008 I was one of the paycheck to paycheck people but after the crash and after paying off the car loan I find myself saving money now. The problem is that the crash I think has made people too skitish about spending I know I debate buying decisions for days now before committing and I dont think that kind of mentality is good for the economy either. thats just my two cents
07-06-2010, 02:58 PM   #13
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
At the same time, one of our core economic issues is the low savings rate and the high rate of borrowing.
Good point. There is a big difference in the overall economic effect of <spending what you earn>, and <spending, in addition to what you earn, what you haven't yet earned.> It's the spending what you haven't yet earned that causes the problems.
07-06-2010, 03:09 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gokenin Quote
So just out of curiosity what are you advocating? That one not work? that one work but not enjoy the fruits of the work? that one should work and only save their money? I will admit that before the recent crash of 2008 I was one of the paycheck to paycheck people but after the crash and after paying off the car loan I find myself saving money now. The problem is that the crash I think has made people too skittish about spending I know I debate buying decisions for days now before committing and I don't think that kind of mentality is good for the economy either. that's just my two cents
Funny, that should be a good thing, unfortunately that is part of the problem. You, like millions of others, have done it a@@ backwards......
Second problem is social......... stagnated wages for decades, more expensive "stuff" including "durable goods" and a culture of "selling"........ see how the other half (which is more like the other 20%) lives so to speak.
When what you can save is a pittance compared to what you need to save it becomes "disincentive" to save.. Whats left after the bills/taxes/insurance.. and the little it looked at at not worth saving. so spend it on a "luxury" to make you feel better.... When there seems like nothing to save for what's the point.
Many now need 2 wage earners just to "break even". In case you haven't noticed our "standard of living" has decreased yet our toys have increased..
Care to guess what would happen to the whole economy if EVERYONE went on a buying strike?
Sad......

---------- Post added 07-06-10 at 03:10 PM ----------

It's the spending what you haven't yet earned that causes the problems.
Yet fuels the economy.. face it the "powers that be" don't want you to do this, not one bit.. Wonderful words but economic suicide..
07-06-2010, 03:39 PM   #15

I agree with Jeffkrol, especially the last thing he said. Sadly, if people in america stop spending money and saved it for once, then the economy would collapse. Not that saving is a bad thing, because whoever thinks that is retarded, but that because these corporations are so used to us buying millions of gizmos per day, if we suddenly stopped then they would all go bankrupt. In my opinion they should go bankrupt, nike shoes that cost almost 200 dollars were made for 10 dollars in a sweatshop in vietnam. and dont give me this crap about labor because the majority of electronics we buy are put together by robots so for what labor are we paying for? Shipping? nothing to do with it. American companies find its cheaper to build a factory in china, hire workers, send materials over there, have it put together, sent on a huge ship that uses thousands of gallons of gasoline, brought back to the U.S. to be repackaged and distributed for a lower price then to do it all here domestically