Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-08-2010, 11:05 AM   #61
Pentaxian

Puerto Ricans don't pay federal income taxes, but do pay into Commonwealth of Puerto Rico income taxes. They also pay into all payroll taxes such as Social Security, Medicare, etc. If fact their unique situation costs them money as well...

Because residents of Puerto Rico pay into Social Security, they are eligible for Social Security benefits upon retirement, but are excluded from the Supplemental Security Income (SSI), and the island actually receives less than 15% of the Medicaid funding it would normally receive if it were a U.S. state.[82] Yet Medicare providers receive less-than-full state-like reimbursements for services rendered to beneficiaries in Puerto Rico, even though the latter paid fully into the system.[83]

07-08-2010, 11:09 AM   #62
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Oldschool Quote
Puerto Ricans don't pay federal income taxes, but do pay into Commonwealth of Puerto Rico income taxes. They also pay into all payroll taxes such as Social Security, Medicare, etc. If fact their unique situation costs them money as well...
I'll bet that most anybody here that pays state income tax, Federal income tax and medicade/medicare would LOVE to eliminate the Federal portion.
07-08-2010, 11:31 AM   #63
Pentaxian

But I have no idea of what Puerto Rican federal tax rates are? Do you?
07-08-2010, 11:40 AM   #64
Pentaxian

Actually I did a quick search. Their taxes are modeled on US income taxes and here are the general rates. It looks like they pay as much taxes as we do...

Attached Images

07-09-2010, 01:17 PM   #65
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Let's see. We fought a war with the British because of "taxation without representation", but the Puerto Ricans are complaining about "representation without taxation" Hmmmmmmm; interesting.
I've made the point, myself, but Szurinaga says he feels like the colonialist system means that regardless of what he wants, things are stacked so that Puerto Rico's populace can't be citizens even if they want to.

I know how that feels on other levels, surely.

It's also not like the American people are continually voting Puerto Rico *out,* either, (Though many would if the Right 'Let The people Decide,' right now.)

Frankly, it's a 'Catholic Country' and would probably directly harm my own civil rights *because* of some Christians thinking minority rights should be up to a Christian vote, and that'd make things worse.

I say, You'd be welcome anyway. Cause fair is fair. (And I remember one of the motley band of 'undesireables' I spent some of my youth with was from there, and some of what they went through as 'immigrants' and all. Out of all of us, he thanked us ill by becoming an arch-conservative later in life, but he *was* 'family.' ) Remember that, though.
07-09-2010, 01:37 PM   #66
graphicgr8s

QuoteOriginally posted by Oldschool Quote

Because residents of Puerto Rico pay into Social Security, they are eligible for Social Security benefits upon retirement, but are excluded from the Supplemental Security Income (SSI), and the island actually receives less than 15% of the Medicaid funding it would normally receive if it were a U.S. state.[82] Yet Medicare providers receive less-than-full state-like reimbursements for services rendered to beneficiaries in Puerto Rico, even though the latter paid fully into the system.[83]
SSI doesn't come from the Social inSecurity fund.

QuoteQuote:
Supplemental Security Income (SSI) is a Federal income supplement program funded by general tax revenues (not Social Security taxes):

It is designed to help aged, blind, and disabled people, who have little or no income; and
It provides cash to meet basic needs for food, clothing, and shelter.
Supplemental Security Income
They don't get it because they don't pay into it.
07-09-2010, 02:01 PM   #67

Photos: Albums
So now that we have seen that Puerto Ricans pay basically the same taxes and SS that Americans do plus the fact that we also help defend your country, is there any reason why Puerto Ricans are treated like second class citizens? Besides the technicality that we are not a state, everything about us is more or less the same

07-09-2010, 02:20 PM   #68
Veteran Member

Well, you still can't vote for President, and probably can't become President.

On the other hand, I love the names of the political parties:
New Progressive Party and Popular Democratic Party. The right wingers in the US go nuts seeing those and would say obviously you are treated as a second class place since you don't have a proper Conservative Republican Party.
07-09-2010, 02:27 PM   #69

QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
Well, you still can't vote for President, and probably can't become President.

On the other hand, I love the names of the political parties:
New Progressive Party and Popular Democratic Party. The right wingers in the US go nuts seeing those and would say obviously you are treated as a second class place since you don't have a proper Conservative Republican Party.
Nesstor, my hat goes off to you that is the weakest excuse that I have heard of why PR's are second class citizens.

If you would actually look up what the New Progress party was about and not just comment about the name then you would see that it IS a conservative Republican party.
07-09-2010, 02:30 PM   #70
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by szurinaga Quote
So now that we have seen that Puerto Ricans pay basically the same taxes and SS that Americans do plus the fact that we also help defend your country, is there any reason why Puerto Ricans are treated like second class citizens? Besides the technicality that we are not a state, everything about us is more or less the same
*You have to ask.*

If you think that the 'will of the people' happens suddenly if you *are* a state, you got another thing coming.

But if you want to be a state, you have my support. Don't make me regret it, as another minority.
07-09-2010, 02:33 PM   #71
Veteran Member

Nesstor, my hat goes off to you that is the weakest excuse that I have heard of why PR's are second class citizens.

If you would actually look up what the New Progress party was about and not just comment about the name then you would see that it IS a conservative Republican party.
I was kidding, I hope you know that.
07-09-2010, 02:53 PM   #72

sorry, I didnt perceive the sarcasm through your writing.

So to Gatorpentax who said that PR doesnt pay taxes but reaps all the benefits
and Parallax would said that Puerto Ricans complain about "Representation without taxation"
Do you both realize you're dead wrong? Why bash when you don't know what youre talking about?
07-12-2010, 06:09 AM   #73
graphicgr8s

sorry, I didnt perceive the sarcasm through your writing.

So to Gatorpentax who said that PR doesnt pay taxes but reaps all the benefits
and Parallax would said that Puerto Ricans complain about "Representation without taxation"
Do you both realize you're dead wrong? Why bash when you don't know what youre talking about?
You are most assuredly free to vote yourselves out of being a US territory and not have to worry anything about paying taxes and services rendered. Maybe you could become a territory of mexico.
07-12-2010, 07:15 AM   #74

I wasnt talking to you, you can let them speak for themselves. Once again you say another pointless and asinine comment
07-12-2010, 07:38 AM   #75
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

52 minutes. Might be a new record.
Closed Thread