Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
07-06-2010, 06:39 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Curious about Freedom Tower Progress

I've been seeing/hearing of a new felony if someone is caught photographing certain oil contaiment related subject matters within 65 ft. I've been seeing/reading about photographers being arrested for taking pictures of govertment buildings, train stations, airports et cetera.
So, has anyone been arrested for taking pictures of the progress of the Freedom Tower 1 ?

07-07-2010, 05:28 AM   #2
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by EyeSpy Quote
I've been seeing/hearing of a new felony if someone is caught photographing certain oil contaiment related subject matters within 65 ft. I've been seeing/reading about photographers being arrested for taking pictures of govertment buildings, train stations, airports et cetera.
So, has anyone been arrested for taking pictures of the progress of the Freedom Tower 1 ?
Not that I am aware of. My experiences as a resident of New York City in matters of photography are without exception positive. I think there is simply too many people here doing all kinds of things. And photography is among the most common things in the city with its abundance of tourists.

Meanwhile, I should maybe visit lower Manhattan this weekend. It's been months since I was last there and back then I didn't inspect the Ground Zero building site. No idea what they are up to right now.

Cheers,
Tassilo
07-07-2010, 08:52 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I wasn't under the impression there's a great deal to see at the building site, as yet, anyway, which could account for a lot of lack of coverage. Kind of curious, too, but I wouldn't expect to see a whole lot of coverage until things start going *up.*
07-07-2010, 02:22 PM   #4

Photos: Albums
Vparseval:

I've heard that your not allowed to set up a tripod on the streets of manhattan, is this true?

07-08-2010, 03:16 AM   #5
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by szurinaga Quote
Vparseval:

I've heard that your not allowed to set up a tripod on the streets of manhattan, is this true?
Nope, a tripod is ok. The details can be found here.

Having said that, a tripod might still not be a good idea on certain sidewalks in Manhattan. Locals wont hesitate to run over it if they feel it's the fastest method to get to their target.

Cheers,
Tassilo
07-08-2010, 06:44 AM - 1 Like   #6

freedom tower construction

This was taken about a month ago. I don't think taking photos there is a problem, but honestly it was just a big construction site and not much to see there either.
07-08-2010, 08:03 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

The irony if it happens will be rather over the top, don't you think?
It seems strange that while your freedoms are being taken from you, one police harassment at a time, you are building edifices with the name "Freedom" on them.

"Arbeit macht frei"

07-10-2010, 09:00 PM   #8
Inactive Account

Harassment by police is not the law of the land down here, and I found several stories about police harassing/detaining photographers in Canada with a quick google search.

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
The irony if it happens will be rather over the top, don't you think?
It seems strange that while your freedoms are being taken from you, one police harassment at a time, you are building edifices with the name "Freedom" on them.

"Arbeit macht frei"
07-11-2010, 01:10 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Votesh Quote
Harassment by police is not the law of the land down here, and I found several stories about police harassing/detaining photographers in Canada with a quick google search.
Harassment by definition is not the law of the land, that's why people complain when it happens.
Does it make you feel better that Canada isn't perfect in regards to the topic at hand?
Does it change the fact that you guys have a pretty serious problem on your hands WRT photography in public?
07-11-2010, 11:32 AM   #10
Inactive Account

You guys have a pretty serious problem too based on the stories I found. I just think it's funny that you point at us silly Americans and our freedon robbing police harassment, while the same thing is happening in the great free north.
Photography is under attack all over, and it isn't just "our" freedoms that are being taken away. "Your" freedoms as a photographer are too.

Also, harassment doesn't have to be complained about to be harassment, and can, in fact, be the law of the land.
07-11-2010, 09:15 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Votesh Quote
You guys have a pretty serious problem too based on the stories I found. I just think it's funny that you point at us silly Americans and our freedon robbing police harassment, while the same thing is happening in the great free north.
Photography is under attack all over, and it isn't just "our" freedoms that are being taken away. "Your" freedoms as a photographer are too.

Also, harassment doesn't have to be complained about to be harassment, and can, in fact, be the law of the land.
I'll bow out now, pointing fingers is pretty counterproductive, don't you think?
07-12-2010, 03:08 AM   #12
Veteran Member

No need to start a border war over this folks....

Mike
PF Moderation Team
07-12-2010, 06:55 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter

I know I said I'd bow out, but in another part of the forum, RioRico just reported another case of photoharassment.
And Mel has an ongoing thread at the moment.
That's two Americans.
Hey Votesh, which Canadian members have ongoing threads about it right now?
I'm not pointing fingers, just pointing out that you guys have a problem, and whatever you may think, it's far more serious than anything happening up here at the moment.
You say harassment may be the law of the land, is this the law of the land in your country?
It sure seems that way when it comes to photography.
Or were you talking about Iran?

The problem for Canada is that we seem to pick up on your bad habits. The police state mentality that you guys are seeming to be getting regarding SLR camera use will spread to Canada (may already be), but all this crap started in the USA and Britain after 9/11.
07-12-2010, 10:05 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Harassment by definition is not the law of the land, that's why people complain when it happens.
Does it make you feel better that Canada isn't perfect in regards to the topic at hand?
Does it change the fact that you guys have a pretty serious problem on your hands WRT photography in public?
Actually, the real problem we Americans have is people not using common sense. When a security person asks someone to stop taking photographs of a building or event the common sense thing to do would be to stop taking photos. I've been asked to stop a couple of times and I did only to strike up a respectful conversation with the person who explained that he or she had no idea either why such a location shouldn't be photographed other than some government-type person put the rule into red tape. After a good laugh, you move on. Life is short.

Many times the security personnel are expected to stop people from using "professional" cameras while letting those with point-and-shooters continue to shoot. Combine making that distinction with dealing with photographers who wish to defend the Bill of Rights over photographing a pedestrian bridge or shopping mall and you get a job that's not easy.
07-12-2010, 10:11 AM   #15
Veteran Member

By the way, I'll also state that professional security folks have always been nice to me when I'm out and about. My worst case situation was with an assistant manager-type who approached me while I was photographing shopping carts at my local Costco. It's private property, of course, but I guess it still wasn't good enough that only I put my camera away and showed him my member card.